Speaking of rope winders - Do you always bring your own rope & handle

scuppers

• Baller
Yes. I'm sorry but I do not know where that other rope or handle has been. I have my diamater of handle and I also use a slip knot rope for added safety of it jumping off the pylon. You never know if it has been around the prop a few times or how long it sits in the sun.

• Baller
Take my handle and use wherever I go. Also carry a backup rope just in case the rope on the boat is looking a little worn. I will never break another worn-looking rope, maybe a new one that is defective, but I swore to myself on the last rope break I will never hookup to a frayed rope again.

• Baller

The norm is to have your own handle.

Any slalom skier who skis very often or who is wanting to learn to ski the course should consider buying his or her own handle and gloves. These two pieces of gear are your connection to your source of momentum. Poor-fitting gloves or poorly-sized handle can really impact your grip/strength/comfort when slalom skiing. Further, asking to borrow someone else's gloves is really a bad thing to do. You might stretch them out in a different way and screw up the owner's fit. Borrowing someone else's handle is less of a big deal, but what if your ski rubs its rope causing some fraying, or what if you pop the handle and hit your ski in a way that compromises the end caps, etc. Further, there is a reason why handles come in so many diameters, various textures, etc. So personalization of handles matters and should matter to you. Finally, when you use the same gloves and handle each time, you are comfortable with them, and not distracted by them. You can focus more on your skiing technique...

Personal ski ropes are not as common, but are seen more often by the really addicted to slalom skiers. For the reasons mentioned above, knowing that your rope is correctly measured, well kept and maintained, means that you will have a consistent line length that you can trust. The caveat is that you typically can't use your personal rope in tournaments. Often ski buddies will share a rope per boat, but they also know that they are the only ones using it and know its history (no damage, etc.). I have my own rope, too.

I teach a lot of beginners, so I have a "school" handle and "boat" rope. I also keep an inventory of "gently used" ski gloves for those who ask to borrow mine. My gloves are for my hands only. My handle is for me. My rope is for my sets only...

• Baller_
Handle yes. Rope... stupidly no. I say stupid cause I still forget to bring mine even after I lost a $70.00 handle to the bottom of a frign deep lake. My buddy's sun worn rope snapped a few feet in front of my handle. I was just doing some casual free skiing at the time. Those are some of the hardest falls too.

• Baller
I definitely bring my own handle but I have no issues sharing my handle. I refuse to share my gloves. I have only seen one person bring their own rope but I'm starting to understand it. We replaced the rope on our club boat a week ago after using it all season. The rope still looked good but what a difference a newer rope makes! The one hiccup is if the boat owner uses a shock tube. Swapping ropes with a shock tube is more of a PITA.

• Members
At our site we all use our own ropes and handles. Pretty quick to hook on and go when everybody is in line waiting to ski. I have no problem sharing mine with a guest, a regular skier should bring their own gear. I never take my ski without my own handle and rope anymore. Gloves..........never had someone ask, that's next door to sharing underwear though...........not cool.

• Baller
I consider it good etiquette to always bring one's own handle and rope. Unless you have an understanding with the people you ski with regularly to do otherwise, it should be the expectation. When folks show up without their own, they are welcome to use mine for the outing, but I tactfully explain that my rope and handle is just as personal an item as my ski...and they ARE NOT using my ski :)

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller

Guess I've never done that. Usually ski behind the same 3 boats with friends...but I have noticed I like a certain handle over the others. Still haven't become a course skier so I never noticed, but now that I am working on specific things I think not having the small distraction of a different handle would help. Might as well order new rope this winter as well because mine is getting pretty old.

Wonder how @OTF would feel if I showed up with rope, handle, ski and gloves but needed shorts?

• Baller

Thanks to all for the input.

That's exactly what I thought as well.

A few weeks a go I had a couple of guys come out for a ski day. Neither one had a handle or rope. They guys were very good skiers too - right down the line through 32 and deep into 35. Great guys to ski with and hang out with, but I could tell they were bothered by the fact that I was unhappy about providing a rope and handle. If gloves are like underware, then rope and handle are like pants & a shirt. Don't leave home without them.

• Supporting Member

If I am in the role of guest, my rule of thumb is to borrow as little as possible: I bring my own handle, rope, gas, vest, ski, moose juice, gloves -- everything.

The only thing that I must borrow is hours on the boat, so I try to limit it to that.

If it's especially difficult to bring gas for some reason, I'll go with cash, but I really prefer to bring actual gas because then I am also saving the boat owner a little effort in refueling.

Bottom line is: This is the best way to get invited back. I like being a nice guy when I can, but what's really important to me is that I'll have future chances to ski!!

• Baller

We ski with a lot of people here in Orlando, and EVERYONE of them shows up with all their gear, Handle + Rope, plus a can of gas...It is considered the norm.

As an example, Pro-Tour Skier Joel Howley was here to ski not that long a go, and he not only brought ALL his own gear but "2" cans of gas...Said he wanted to get 2 sets in.......Great Guy.

• Baller

First season I only used club handles. We have a few.

I was invited to another club but I checked first if it was ok to use one of their club handles.

Now I have a few handles and ropes and always bring them.

What is the rule if you purchase a coaching week and has to fly over seas?

If I travel to US with my gear there will be a weight problem.

For example at Seth S?

• Baller

I grew up skiing tournaments 20 years ago when it wasn't common to bring your own handle. You might see 1 or two guys at (Canadian) nationals with their own, but everyone else used the tournament handle.

I took a bunch of years off of tournament skiing for university, job, family, etc.

Went back to nats a few years ago when they were out west. The dock starter asked for my handle and I said, "I'll just use the tournament handle"!

He said, "um... I don't know if we have one!"

Fortunately the guy seeded in front of me knew me from back in the day and let me use his!

These days the group of 4 or 5 guys I ski with rotate boats and most of us ski with whatever is attached to the boat.

Gloves are a bit more personal, but I have a couple old pairs people can use if they forget theirs. Everyone is welcome to try my ski if they like too.

Trick rope/handle on the other hand... It's gotta be mine! Length and toe hold size are just too different.