Eagle Pullover Vests - How Long Has Yours Held Up?

Murrski

• Baller
Used my Eagle pullover vest for a year and half and the zipper stitching (back zip) and armpit seams have come unraveled substantially. Contacted Eagle Sports and Larry Solomon stated that most of their pullover vests only hold up for a season or two even when properly cared for. It's disappointing to have to purchase $145 vests for a family of four every other year. I'm curious what your experiences have been with the products. Any recommendations for a different vest brand that will hold up longer than 18-24 months?

• Baller
3 or 4 seasons with my Eagle front zip still going but probably going to replace it next season. Not even 10sets until my Eagle neo pullover vest top started to come un sewed. All the thread is pretty much gone now. Disappointed in the quality. Might go to a Camaro they are cheaper..

If you have a problem with an Eagle Vest. I can assure you that Chuck will take care of and stand behind the product. If it is the stitching or a defect in the product he will stand behind it and repair it. Depending on how much you use it and how you take care of it the vest last. I have several pullovers that Are over two years old. If you don't get the issue resolved drop me an email. I will be glad to assist in getting it taken care of

• Baller
Thanks for the info @Chad Scott I will drop Chuck a line to see about getting the stitching redone. Having a vest that has lasted as long as mine has really makes me want to be a repeat customer. Great quality with the one I have.

This is Chuck. Chad told me I should check this out, so I read through it. First off, we warranty our vests for 1 year from purchase date. If threads are coming loose, you should contact the dealer you purchased the vest from and have them contact us to arrange for it to be repaired. Take pictures of the issue and be ready to email them prior to shipping just in case we have questions.

Our vests are designed to fit very tight. With that comes a lot more stress on threads compared to competitive products that fit fairly loose and float up on you in the water. We produce thousands of vests each season and I'd bet we only had about 15-20 returned for loose stitching all last season. When we decided to come to market with a product designed to fit so tight, we knew we'd have certain issues, but we're constantly looking for ways to reduce them and improve on the functionality of the product. We're also always looking for ways to reduce production variances at the factory. 3 years ago, we were hand cutting every vest. Today, the cutting process is 100% automated with roller & laser cutters.

We're the only company that I know of that'll make a custom fit vest, custom color, and kids comp vest. We're not cheap. If I wanted to be cheap, I'd make everything in China like all the other companies do and only offer a few color options. And trust me, when wage is 80% of my cost, I get why the other companies have moved off shore. But I take pride in being US Made and employing US workers. Three of my employees just celebrated their 25 year anniversaries with Eagle.

My goal with Eagle Sports is to build products that the best athletes, in the watersports that we market to, want to wear our products because they feel they perform better in them. We're designing products that are lighter, dry faster, perform better, and fit like a 2nd skin. It's been a pleasure getting to know the top slalom and jump waterski athletes over the last 3-4 years as we've grown in this sport. We have a Factory Team that isn't shy about voicing their likes and dislikes and they're always throwing curve-balls my way. Simple example: Regina asked me to make a vest for her dog. That sparked an idea. Pet vests to match the owners vest (logos, custom colors and all). We're small enough, and crazy enough to try it.

• Baller

Since I've got something to use right now, maybe I'll send mine in. The part that always tears is the back, right at the bottom. I skied a long time with it like that. It wasn't like the whole thing fell apart.

The slalom bag I got from Eagle is awesome.

• Baller
@Eagle1 - my son and I both love our Eagle vests. Mine did have stitching issue at the bottom where the zipper starts. I just got a saddle shop (heavy thread repairs) touch it up. Fixed that for good. I've had the vest for 3 seasons. My son's vest is only 2 seasons old. The inside fabric has been reduced to threads at the bottom back corners where the foam inserts end. We will probably be ordering replacements in the Spring. Other than that, the rest of the vests look like new. I should add that both are front zip and include additional flotation. I ski 1-3 sets a week May-Sep. My son skis about 1 set a week, Jun-Aug.

• Baller

Just finished my third season w/ my back zip. My son just finished his second season with a back zip. Both are still in great shape. We're only skiing a few days a week so as Chad said perhaps it's better to measure a vest's life in sets rather than years.

Mike

• Baller

I have had a total of 4 Eagle Vests, and love them. My first was a rear zip that I wore for over 2 years. I had some issues with the top of the zipper, and the flotation liner wearing thin, but Eagle fixed at the end of my first season. My second was also a rear zip, and had the same issue with the top of the zipper, but again, Eagle fixed with no problem (if I get another rear zip, I will just ask for additional reinforcing at the zipper). My shoulder caused some problems with the rear zip this spring, and I apparently spent too much time in the gym last winter, so I got a larger front zip that I absolutely love. In June, a friend of mine added a camo front zip to my collection. Now on a 2 set day, I wear a different vest each set. The camo vest has a bit more flotation, which probably explains why it is a little tighter than my black Eagle One. I don't wear it when wearing a top...

• Baller

I love both of my Eagle vests! I would like an entire wardrobe of them!

I have had no issues at all, other than I want one in every color.

My husbands Eagle is old and is still in great shape! I want to get him a new one. His has a snake or something on it...I hate snakes ok!!! He is being a bit stubborn about it. If he's not buying a ski, he doesn't like to spend money! Peace out....

• Baller_
Ok, so I may be off here but I've seen how some folks take them off. No kidding the threads and zippers are coming apart. It's like watching a wrestling match. So what's the secret? I heard you put one arm back in the arm hole and out the bottom and the pull it over. Laughed just yesturday watching someone wrestle one off. Suggested the arm thing and bam. No idea if that's the best way but looked 1000 time easier on the guy and the vest.

• Baller
@Wish I remember when I got my first Eagle vest in early spring. Snow outside and nobody home but I just had to try it on. It slipped right on but seemed a little snug just like everyone said it was supposed to be. Getting it off dry was another matter! Wrestling match with self rolling, twisting, hopping, pushing and pulling throughout the house on all three floors. Harry Houdini couldn't get out of one of these! I ended up stuck with vest over my eyes and both arms locked in for a good 10 minutes. I was so tired when I finally got the danged thing off I canceled my workout. Too TIRED!!!

If you were to look inside the back zip vests, they have instructions printed on how to take them off the easiest way. From the sounds of things, I should save the ink. Touch your right thumb to your right arm pit. From that position, slide your hand back into the arm hole and push it down in front of your stomach, then lift the right arm up at the elbow and it will come off much easier. If your left handed, do the opposite.

It will last much longer if u take it of by putting the arm through the arm hole. If the zippers a getting stressed maybe try the next size larger. I can wear a large or the XL at 185 lbs. the Xl zips a little easier and the design makes us look like we have those abs we had 15 years ago. I prefer the back zip and I have gotten two years or more out of each one. My vouching for how long these last is going to effect my supply if Eagle One reads this. But seriously. I ski at least 4 days a week with a back zip and my practice vest is 3 years old. It is now starting to fray around the arms but after that many sets it's certainly acceptable. You guys made a good point on taking them off because I have had to show several people how to get it off easily after watching them wrestle to get out of it. Eagle makes a great product and chuck is willing to support the sport of waterskiing. He sponsors every major event from professional to amateur events. He gives back to the people that support his product. What events does Oneill billabong or camaro support And he is more than willing to stand behind his product which is made in the USA not in some Chinese sweatshop.

• Baller
Ya know - @eagle1 stated something obvious that has been on the decline for QUITE some time is this: repairability. I will gladly pay more for something knowing that I can get it repaired rather than have to replace the entire thing. Out of the box cost might be higher - but if I like the product and want to keep it - in the long run it will be cheaper to repair - AND I get to keep a product I like. I now have a new birthday/Christmas gift request.

• Baller
A little surprised everyone seems to have pullovers and back zip vests. I share a front zip Eagle Platinum with my better half and it's way better than our previous vests, including some pullovers and back zips. It feels like you're not wearing a vest at all, but provides decent rib protection, back support, and floatation. 1 full season / ~150 sets later, it still looks brand new. Yes it's very snug and I expect to have thread issues at some point, but if I have to buy one every 2-3 years it's still worth it.

• Baller
Thanks Doug @Eagle1 for following up with Larry. I spoke with him on the phone. I was able to find the original purchase invoice from H2oProShop. I thought I bought the vest in 2011 but it was actually in July of last year. Looks like your team will re-stitch and send it back for $30 plus shipping so that's appreciated. Hopefully I can get another season out of it next year and I do appreciate the support! Cheers

• Baller

My only hangup with the front zip is, if I don't remember to tuck the zipper in the place for it before I get my gloves on, it flops around, and pokes me in the neck sometimes. When I do that, I usually pull the zipper down a couple of inches.

From a feel standpoint, I like the front zip as much as the rear.

• Baller
I guess I'm stuck in the old days. I've had three StraightLine UltraVests. The first one went over 15 years, and I'm still using the other two. Some of you guys being satisfied with 2-3 years life on a vest astounds me. However, the UltraVest is no longer available. The last one I bought used from @Roger back in 2009 and it's still going strong.