Mapple runs 1 at 43

GregDavis

• Baller

We all knew it was only a matter of time for Andy to run 41 at 34mph... the legend continues.

So how many times has 41 been run at 34mph in a record tournament now? Has anyone other than Jeff Rogers done this?

Regina - would love to know how this woman can hold down a F/T job and ski at a world record level... amazing.

• Baller

@SkiJay‌, Dr. Regina Jacquess 1) holds a PhD in Pharmacy, 2) runs her own business in her area of expertise and the one she loves, 3) besides being the best skier in the world...

To me, that is awesome. Any of the three above mentioned is a life achievement by itself, the three together show how spectacular she is.

• Baller
Just as a follow up. Andy ran it all 3 rounds he skied. The first looked like a solid 39. Perfect. Had to work a bit on the second and third. Of course he took the 3rd tail wind... He is amazing to watch and a very nice guy.

@gsm_peter‌ first of all 34mph men's slalom is not recognized as a world record. Only 36mph men and 34mph women (aka Open Men and Open Women) is recognized as a world mark.

However I don't know whether Andy is (or was then) a US citizen or not. AWSA records are only able to be set by US citizens. Now I have no idea whether that's the case here. It's possible that the scores were run under class C.

• Baller_

Ok, who is/was Joe Ray? 3 and 4 @ 43 off in 2003? Obviously something was not right or it would have shattered the WR at the time.

Also several other scores were not approved as Records due to class of tournament © or boat path not within tolerance.

It's also interesting to note that from 1997-2008, 3 of the 4 skiers to run approved 41 off passes at 36 were left foot fwd (Rodgers, Bueschane, and Parrish). It's fun to point that out to the handful of lefties who complain that RFF skiers have an advantage.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

I'm not sure of the timing but wasn't Dr.Michaels running some unbelievable scores then? All of his scores were invalidated since. But the top honest scores were overshadowed by those scores. Perhaps the bitterness from that holds back recognition of the fantastic 34mph men's skiing.

Eric

ps I thought lefties have the advantage!

• Baller

Bruce. As a lefty... I resemble that remark.

Also. I don't know if a lot of people realize this (or care), but the bar has just been moved a great deal. I am around a lot of great 34 mph skiing with a number of guys consistently getting there and occasionally mid/deep into 41. There has been a "chase" for a long time to be the first Big Dawg skier to run it.

I realize Jeff ran it a couple of times last year, but it looked incredibly hard. If you didn't see Andy it's hard to explain how commonplace he made it look. 3 times in a row.

• Baller
Am I incorrect in that it appears that more attempts have been made at 43 off at 36 mph? Many believe that 34 mph is easier and that may be the case up to a point. But to me, 36 mph is easier. I have never been able to ski as well at 34 mph as 36 mph. That being said, you really do not see a lot of former OM skiers skiing in the Big Dawg. IMO, the Big Dawg, is what is it. The Big Dawg.

• Baller

dr michaels' bs score stopped Chuck Forrest and I think Mike Morgan from submitting a few 3@41's but both did it afterwards (after the fiasco/malibu open) anyways. Dr Michaels really screwed up some overall skiers those couple of years...by messing with points and costing some skiers trips to nats/etc.

We should be lobbying for a men's 34 mph recognized WR. If it isn't video'd and approved, there is way too much that can happen. The boat path (3 to 4 inches) at 41 can make all the difference in the world. I have/had no doubt that Jeff and Andy would be the ones to run it first, but we should fix this issue NOW.

Any AWSA slalom record requires the boat path of the last complete pass and the record pass. For IWWF a video from the boat (skier) and gates are required. It's also necessary to submit boat path for all passes.

Incidentally the boat path deviation is the same for AWSA National Recirds or Workd Records.

The current Men's 34 mph record is held by Jeff Rodgers. The IWWF requirements are available for that score.