Another boat comparison 190 vs 196

Glock

• Baller
I'm considering a debt reduction program and getting rid of my Mastercraft X7 and picking up a less expensive boat that I can pay cash for. Looking at a 93-94 Prostar 190 or 97-99 Nautique 196 in the 12k range. What are your thoughts when comparing these two boats? I know they both ski well, but would be interested in hearing your opinions.

• Baller
both are very good boats. The 93 94 MC was a great boat especially with the LT1 and powerslot package. the wakes were great soft small. the only down side was the spray off the side. It seem to be an after thought at 38 and 39. Maybe even 35 off. the 196 you cant go wrong. the boat was sweet. great wakes drive good. It basically are you a ford guy or a Chevy guy.

• Baller
I ski regularly behind a 91 prostar 190 with stargazer and a 2002 196 with ZO. Set the prostar up to feel like the 196. Both ski great and pretty identical scores behind them. At -35 and shorter the prostar does have more spray especially in any kind of head wind. Both great boats. 196 might sell better a few years down the road.

• Baller

I owned a 91 190 (first real ski boat), great wake, sporty and easy to drive (but it needs to be driven), any headwind and spray at 32off. IMHO all the MC's since have been disappointing (relative to the other boats) till the 2014.

Skied a 97-99 Nautique (not sure which year it was) for a couple years at a lake I rented time on. Great boat, tracks much better than the MC (doesn't need to be driven as much), no spray issues. Wife thought wake better on 91-94 MC (slow speeds, LL) but that Nautique still good, she would happily ski either (she never liked the MC 197). At 34/36 line off I thought them similar but generally got a better ride with the Nautique because the driver didn't need to be as good.

I'd still be happy for a ride behind either but given the choice between these two would go with the Nautique.

• Baller

@bigtallweed agree. Have a brother of mine looking at a '99 as we speak with 280 hrs for $15K. I ski one pretty regularly and though I prefer the 196 overall, the ski performance of the Lx is great. A tiny non-disruptive 28 bump by comparison, otherwise from behind the boat I can't tell much difference. As a driver I prefer the 196.

For quality materials, driving and wake the 196 is it...I went thru this experience not long ago and selected a '00 196 and couldn't be more pleased. Only way I'd go Lx is if I wanted the open bow and trunk. Short of ZO the 196 for me gives even the latest boats a run for their money.

• Baller
97-99 Nautique hands down. Both boats ski well, but the Nautique of that era is more durable. There was a 93 MC on my lake where the engine died to the point where it would have to have been completely rebuilt. The owner traded it in on a Moomba since he was not planning on buying a new boat at the time. I think it had a 1000 hours on it. If the Nautique has the GT40 engine and is in good condition go for it. If you are skiing in any kind of wind the MC of that time will have painful spray at 28off and shorter. The Nautique will also have more interior space.

• Baller
I would lean towards the Nautique of that era, the Malibu is also a a good option. Even today I would have no problems skiing behind a good mid 90's Nautique with a well setup Stargazer, they are still great hulls.

I own that Era MC hull and can say although they both ski well empty the 196 is built like a tank and is much less weight sensitive than the 190. Only downside of 196 is the switch panel (switches are prone to stick).

• Baller
@dlskier she went digital later...I don't have the panel full of goofy push button switches in the 2000 but my buddy with a '97 does. Same hull, same motor, same skiing but dislike all those difficult to push panel switches in his boat.

• Baller

I've seen some pretty nice PS 190 in those years go for well under 10K. The 205's usually go for a little more. If your really wanting to save $ then that might be the way to go. Its been a while since I drove a PS 190 but I drive a 93 PS 205 pretty regularly in the course and it is harder to drive than a 196 for sure. I'd say if you have a tight setup and have inexperienced drivers the 196 would be a better choice. The MC has more spray but I've seen some fixes to reduce spray on the MC forums.

I have a 99 Reponse LX open bow. Its has a great wake and drives good, not as quite as good as the 196. The finish work I think is better on the Nautiques and Mastercrafts but still the Malibu is a nice boat. You could probably find a Closed bow response in your price range. The 98 and later has the diamond hull which has a little better wake. In 99 and later has an updated the interior. When I was looking the PS205, 196 open bow, and Reponse LX was what I narrowed my hunt down to. I don't regret getting the Malibu at all, just wish it had ZO.

• Baller

One more comment from the cheap seats...I have a 1993 MC 190 with the LT1.

This engine was miles ahead of anything else from that era. Fuel injected, rated at 310HP...according to Indmar, that was under rated at the time for insurance reasons, they say it's more like 330hp. That is a ton of power for that size of boat.

No wood in that boat and very well built. At 15 off to 32 off the wake is perfect, Shorter than that and there is some spray, and a slight dish.

The Nautique will track slightly better, but the Prostar feels like a sports car when driving it around for fun.ffcc9be00bb438175785900bbe42f8.jpg

• Baller_

196 hands down. The MC will pelt your eyes with marbles at -35 and it does not track as well as the 196. The 190 is a wonderful boat and was better then the same year class 196 but its not in the same league as the 97 196.

• Baller

@bigtallweed‌ no concerns at all regarding GT40 electronics in the future. Most of the ignition parts are plain old Ford EECIV parts you can get right from Napa. FWIW only the LP fuel pump has gone out on mine in 14 years.

Just took my 2000 SN out today. It's a treat every time I drive and ski it, and I drive new boats from other mfgs regularly. The ergonomics and sight lines are where this boat shines over the 91-94 MC other than the tracking/spray. The boat is built like a tank and feels smooth enough to be electric. I still don't understand why everybody says 97-99 when the 00 and 01s are amazing other than the digital gauges, and you'd have PPSG anyway so who cares. I love the smart pod dash, mine still works perfectly. Clearly a lot of thought and R & D went into that dash as IMO the competition still hasn't touched it 14 years later.

I may be biased but the 97-99 gel lines on the SN (and my 00 with 99 graphics) are pretty much the prettiest and classiest out there. Big fan all around.

5647883530_c2b893f95a.jpg

Have owned a '93 PS, and a '98 196. Both great boats. Nautique will driver easier in the course, ahve a little smaller and softer wakes, less (like none) side spray, and if it matters, a little better in rougher water. If you need to dance around docks etc, or have tight turns or set up, the MC will be a bit nimbler. Both with PP will be nice forgiving rides.

• Baller
This 97 SN (ZO equipped) is one of the best rides/wakes from 22 through 41 off ever (even against today's boats). This is my Jody Special. We have an 07 196 too, and switch back and forth all the time. The step ins on the gunwale make getting in an out much less hazardous than the many newer models. The 97 is lighter too, which makes it JUMP out of the water---5 footers behind it at once!

• Baller

@jhughes‌

How did you get a 2000 without the N? I love it!

@Glock‌

Drive and ski both, and you'll go SN. It's almost not a fair comparison, as in 91-94 the MC had a sizeable advantage over the SN (IMHO), but the TSC1 in '97 changed the game. If you're on public water, the MC will destroy your kidneys and your wife's boobs with its harsh ride in bumpy water. We used our '91 Prostar for our green water pond boat up until last year, and it does have a great wake. @MS is right when he says you'll be pelted with golf ball size water pellets as the rope gets shorter, or ski into a head wind.

• Baller

Skied behind a 190 MC this weekend. Strong head and tail wind - the spray was awful. The wake - buttery smooth. I was skiing 15 and 22 off 34 / 36. Given no wind I'm sure it'd be a great boat. I have also skied a couple 196's on our lake and they ski great.

You really can't go wrong either way. But I'd have to say I REALLY like what @liquid d did to his boat.