HELP, coming back from a long ski break

Chris Taylor

Ok, its been about 7 yrs or so since I have been on my slalom. We bought a boat this spring and I have been dieing to get back up on my ski. However this is the EXTREMELY frustrating part.......... I cannot get up!!! Ok so I may have put on about 30-40lbs since then. lol I have a O'brien Mapple 65" ski double boot, ski or attempting to ski behind 92 Supra Comp. Any and all suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

• Baller

@Chris Taylor‌ First of all welcome back to the sport, to BOS and you are in the right place for such advice!

I would say your ski is designed to carry someone under 150lbs at 36mph. How much do you weigh, desired skiing speed, height and free ski or in a course?

92 Supra Comp should be getting you up just fine if you have a driver who knows what he is doing and the boat is in good running condition.

• Baller
65" is way to small. Skis have advance a lot as well. Check out ski-it-again.com look for a bigger ski. Maybe a senate C or similar. Probaby need 68" maybe something bigger until to loose some weight and get back. You have to consider your goals, boat speed when selecting a ski. You can search the forum there good info on larger skis. There are several people on BOS that have used sking to loose weight and get back in shape. @JohnCox‌

• Supporting Member

That 69 senate seems perfect. Everybody seems to love the senate as the ultimate intermediate ski, and as noted above 69 is likely the right size.

P.S. A 65" traditional ski is too short for me at a wispy 165 lbs.

• Baller

@Chris Taylor‌ Your issue w/ bindings is that Obrien always had their own binding pattern in that day. It might fit, but your plates are unlikely to line up with many of the modern skis except possibly Obrien.

I haven't owned an Obrien since that siege.

Biggest thing I will say is that you will save ALOT of force/strain on your body with an appropriately sized ski.

Ok, tried a friends 71" yesterday. BIG difference!, However I was making improvement still unable to get up. At first I was getting pulled up over the front of the ski, then I think I was just trying to stand up to soon. Its like I am learning to slalom all over again. lol Also his ski had a rear toe plate, not sure if going from double boots would make much difference?

• Baller
Chris, I have the perfect ski for you, it is the big boy radar ski. It has never been out of the box, (i ordered two) and I will give you a hell of a deal. from one big guy to another, it will get you up, but as you are sitting there dragging ass and dying every time out of the water, use that for your motivation to lose your ass! I have and am still using that for me. What sounds better, and eclair and paying the price to get up, or eating clean, and getting up much easier. Oh, and getting stacked as a big boy brings new meaning to the word, nuts, because, if you are not in the proper position, those otf's are far more painful!!!! So, let me know if you want that ski, and welcome back!!

@Brady, Thanks! Yeah I have plenty of motivation as I am getting back into the sport the fact that I can't do what I used to do is driving me nuts!!! I have been working on slimming down this spring ironically after I spent all last year bulking up for Strongman events. I love water skiing, barefooting, wakeboarding though and I know I will get there.

• Baller
Chris is a strongman competitor?...gotta love it! My beast of a former lifting partner did a few events back in the day...I'd hate to try to get him up on slalom! 6 ft 4 and 350 lbs...strong as hell.

• Baller

Hey Chris,

going over the front is typically from straightening legs too soon (your center of gravity getting up over your feet too soon).

Keep your knees bent, when the boat starts, let them crush right up to your chest. Stay in a squat until the ski is really up-on-top of the water.

Apply a little pressure to the rear foot, but don't straighten your leg.

Arms straight and don't fight too hard.

• Baller
Chris just be patient. If you get on a big enough ski and don't try to stand up to soon you will be able to ride it out of the water. If the ski has a RTP I find getting up with one foot in to be easier than two feet in.

• Baller

Hello from Russia!

I am first year skier, therefore drama of going out from water still fresh for me )

May be my advise sounds silly for advanced one, sorry if it is.

What I have learned - in addition to well known basics: front knee to chest-back heel to butt, the timing of doing this is crucially important.

Do it (get small) half a second BEFORE you say "GO!" to driver, not half second AFTER.

At least in my case this timing worked out. When I started to do it problem disapeared.

Ok, just received my new 69" Theory and double Vector Bindings yesterday!!! Of course the wife wasn't going out on the boat when it was 67 degrees so I will have to wait until tonight to try everything out. I can't wait to get out on the water and then of course sub-come to all the critique I am sure I need. lol

• Baller

So I'm sure I'll take some slack for this on this forum, but I notice in your signature that you have a tower on your boat. As far as getting up is concerned, hooking up to the tower can make a big difference on how easy it is to get up. Of course, once you're up, the tower will kill your cuts and you will be yanking the boat around everywhere, however, at least you are up and you're skiing instead of sitting in the water.

My dad is 69 and has had some trouble off and on over the last 5-10 years at getting up. As of this year he is now riding a large P6 and getting up on the tower (he's not skiing super aggressively, so who cares right?) and loving how easy and effortless the sport has become.

I can also attest that a 65" anything is way too small for a 200 pound rider. Good call on the Theory, I think you will like it. I have a Senate, and between my senate and my dad's P6, I have heard very few complaints. The Theory is brothers to both of those skis so it should do great for you.