Swiss Ski School

Stevie Boy

• Baller
I run over to Swiss when my lake is blown out as it is only 5 minutes away. They are very accommodating and all the amenities have been upgraded. Very positive experience every time I do a set there. You will enjoy it. MWN

• Baller

Well you Guy's were right, I skied at other places before I got to Swiss Swiss Ski School and I guess, Jason Seels in Orlando has to take some of the credit, for getting me skiing with better form.

Swiss is a great place to ski, great lakes and great conditions, some really nice people to hang around with on the dock, very friendly and made me very welcome, I have been on a plateau, for some while, I needed to be pushed and encouraged to move forward, instead of skiing back to back,s until it's perfect.

Clint and his team, done a great job, not only getting me to relax, but making me feel welcome, off of the back of this approach, I increased my bouy count by 13 bouys.

Swiss is about serious skiing, in a relaxed enviroment, they do not mess with speeds and the boat goes straight down the middle.

I would like to thank, Clint and his team, for such a great week.

• Baller
When you drop in, while the coaching is going on, you may hear a few beeps or see the driver pushing buttons, maybe a setting adjustment, but more often than not, a speed adjustment in recreational mode, more common in europe, @liquid d is right on the money, Clint is proud that what ever you ski at Swiss, you should repeat elsewhere, be interesting to know how many people, ski a P.B at ski school, but cannot get close to it when they ski elsewhere.

• Baller

There are a lot of factors with skiing well at ski school that you can't duplicate at home.

First off you are getting expert coaching on each pass, so your bad little habits are not creeping back in. So by the time you ski your PB, you are really at your best.

Second - you are at ski school so all you are doing is skiing, getting coached, hearing others getting coached and talking about skiing - not driving, coaching others, rushing off to work, school, kids stuff etc.

Third - Conditions at ski school are usually uniformly good.

I would agree maybe they slow the boat down the first try or to get you over the hump on a particular pass or give you the ski school swerve, but you could argue that those are viable coaching techniques to build confidence. But you know what some/a lot of us are too stubborn to do that ourselves. I guess the part that you would like to know from the coach/driver is if they did slow the boat or help with boat path to get you your PB.

Then there is the whole discussion around whether you ran your "PB" once at ski school and now can't duplicate that at home, which I think falls into the "even a blind squirrel finds a nut discussion".

• Baller
I will let all of you know when/if I ever PB while someone monkeys with my technique for eventual betterment. The PB comes later. I'm not there for a PB that day...I'm there to learn how to improve my technique so that PB's are possible in the future. In terms of scores, often one step back to hopefully get 2 steps forward down the road.

• Baller
i can also agree with @6balls that i have never PB'ed at ski school, although i usually go in feb or march to escape the Alberta Winter so it takes a few days to find my groove at the minimum, since ive been off the water for months, but it does kick-start my season really well even though my mind is spinning at a million miles an hour trying to digest all the coach is telling me.

• Baller

I agree with all the comments above, apart from it's acceptable to swerve the boat or reduce the speed without the skiers knowledge, in some cases messing with speed, can cause more problems, than it solves, as for swerving the boat, if somebody does not know what they are doing, they can really screw you up, you may not even run the pass you were capable of running in the first place, slack line here, tight line there, when I drive, the pole is down the middle.

For me personally, I have to achieve my goals, not be given them, otherwise there is no reward or satisfaction for me.

• Baller

TTT

anyone stayed in the "Igloos" before? just wondering what to expect... I'm travelling solo to Otown late October and wanted to catch some sets at Swiss while I'm there.

I was initially thinking an airbnb but the igloo's are just $65/nt and right on the lakes..

• Baller
I stayed in the "igloos" in March. They are very comfortable and the separate kitchen for each igloo was great to have. The only downside are the thin walls--so don't expect that phone conversations in your room will be private. Overall a great bargain and so convenient!!