California Pro-Am (live streaming)

Murrski

• Baller
Ok .... Should be good now. We noticed sporadic issues and randomly slow throughput speed. I talked to our ISP and they were doing server maintenance this am. We just noticed the download and upload speed double so I believe their maintenance is over and looks like we are good.

• Baller_
Once again, a real pleasure to watch. As far as I can remember, THE best skiing web cast was last year and even better this year. Yah a freeze here and there but still well put together. Also, once again a true pleasure to listen to the extremely knowledgeable Freddy K. It's literally like he prepares for this all year with his deep knowledge of each skier and his.. "I spoke with ...insert skiers name... and here is what he/she had to say about..." Very impressed. Also a treat to her Marcus B. He really did give good insight that the average Joe could understand. His analogies were spot on and easily understood.

• Baller

Someone please post when the archived version is up. Watched a lot on Sat, but our own skiing got in the way on Sunday.

I agree Fred is great with the analysis. He can coach me anytime. (But I might not want him dissecting my form on-line for all to see...)

• Baller
@crashman This did replace my TV viewing for me this weekend....even beat out football. I tell you what, with how professional this whole set up was and with the awesome live streaming, this is bound to create more excitement and interest from the general public. The only part I am struggling with, is how you can translate truly how fast they are going into a tv or computer screen? The sheer athleticism of these incredible athletes in mind blowing. We all know how good they are....the general public needs to see this as well! Awesome weekend.

What if they strapped a GoPro on each of the skiers? Most of the new GoPro cameras have the ability to stream with a wifi connection, so it would be really easy to pick up the signal for a webcast.

But I can see how it might not go over well with many skiers who are trying to make a living.

Regardless, the webcast yesterday and Saturday was really great! What's really exciting is that the U.S Open webcast is going to be available next month!

• Supporting Member

I know some people love the POV, but they'll need to send me some Dramamine if they're going to intersperse GoPro footage during the broadcast.

I have some ideas to do live displays of stats like speed, acceleration, line tension, "rip" (rate of change of tension). But this would be a HUGE project. Kind of a chicken and egg thing -- if NBC wanted to spend a ton of money it, they could do some really cool stuff.

• Baller

@ssflims not sure it would be easy. It takes expensive and decent sized gear to get the boat video to transmit and even then we have problems. It would be cool to get skier GoPro and will be easy someday, not sure it's today.

A lot of effort goes into that webcast and Its good to hear it shows.

The Event is always a blast. I was the boat judge in the men's final and it was the best seat in then house. It was fun to ski in MM as well. My wife even won the Am H2H! Great weekend all around.

First I'd like to say this was by far the best webcast I've seen to date and everyone that was involved did an amazing job. The announcers were great, the replays were informative and the skiing was just amazing...the top 8 skiers had to pretty much average a score into 41 off just to get in! I'd like to see a good use of drones in the future to get some more camera angles but I know that technology has a little ways to go to make it worth it but it's close. I really would like to see an informative video about skiing that can teach the masses about the sport and just how amazing these athletes are. I really like the ESPN Sports Science videos like these: http://search.espn.go.com/sports-science/videos/6 and would love to see one about slalom skiing or even jump and trick for that matter. Just wanted to say well done for the California Proam webcast!

• Baller

I like the idea of contrasting a clip of an average man or women running a pass with a clip of the OM/OW skiers. Perhaps before the start of head to head so the viewer not familiar with slalom can see how good these Open skiers really are. Maybe a split screen showing the mortal skier and Open skier from the boat at the same speed but different line lengths. Average skier with a max pass at say -28 contrast with Open skier at say -38. You could show a graphic of the difference in line length between say a -28 line and a -38 line.

A really quick 60-90 second primer before the event starts.

We really enjoyed the webcast, watched almost the entire thing.

• Baller
One other thing, to me one of the best layman analogies was the high jump/pole vault @MarcusBrown‌ made. You clean all six is like making a height, in high jump/pole vault you raise the bar, in slalom you shorten the rope. Brilliant!!!

• Baller
It was too cold to ski in Michigan this weekend but had Skiing on the laptop and football on the TV, it was great viewing. Put the ladies and mens finals on the big screen, they all make it look so easy. Great Job, nice interview work Mr. Horton.

@bishop8950 They used a drone cam at the Master's this year and were able to transmit the footage to a live webcast. So while it might be out of reach from a financial aspect, the technology is there.

I know in motocross, they send a GoPro out on one of the announcers or a competitor in the field and they provide the audience with a track perspective during a practice round. We could very easily do this for skiing.

Great to hear everyone's feedback. We put in a lot of work to make the webcast better this year, primarily because we were on Live TV in the Sacramento Region. We were live for 4 hours; 10:30am - 2:30pm. It was great to have Webcast TV and Access Sacramento work together to bring in slow mo replay and interviews with the athletes which from what I have been told eliminated any "dead time". I'm looking forward to seeing it once Access Sacramento uploads it to their YouTube channel. I will send it out once I recieve the links. Tadd, Freddy and Marcus are always great on the mic. Our goal is to continue in this direction with TV in hopes for National TV coverage next year; whether it is live or a replayed weeks after the event.