Why we ski.

ColeGiacopuzzi

• Baller
Why do we ski? Curious to hear everyone's individual reason. I know for me I get lost in it, something that I love to do that steps me out of the real world and into a place of pure fun, almost like a drug, it's addicting. Whether someone runs the course for the first time or runs 39.5 off, that feeling after you do it just never goes away and sticks in the back of your mind all the time, and it's about refining your craft from that point on.

• Baller
It fills my need as an adrenaline junky in a relatively safe environment; It is a phenomenal workout; it is something that can challenge me even though I am not at the elite level; it is a fantastic way to hang with my friends; and it is something that I can always improve and become better, but can never reach the finish line---it is a lifetime of striving perfection!!! It completes me

• Baller
I once read that a big part of the fascination with driving race cars is that pushing the limits of our athletic performance in a fast paced risky environment lights up our entire neurological system, and that resulting electrical storm raging through our bodies is actually the original high. Sounds like slalom skiing to me!

• Supporting Member

@Colebrah While there are many reasons that waterskiing is the sport for me (and I may get to that in a later post), I think you really hit the nail on the head. In fact, we often discuss at work, where eyes normally roll at the first mention of water skiing, that you really have to something in your life that is a COMPLETE change of focus. Something that forces your mind to empty of all that usual junk.

This "reset," if you will, seems to be pretty key to a happy life. I claim it even has the desired long term effect when the short-term effect is throwing your ski halfway to the shore!

• Baller

1. Few things in life are a new accomplishment for an adult. When we are kids we are always accomplishing new things.

2. Skiing friends. The people I ski with are just as big of a reason as skiing itself.

3. Like others have said I get away from all the work problems even if it is for 16.08 seconds at a time

• Baller
In addition to many of the items mentioned above, it is one of the few sports that people of all abilities can do together at the same time. A person working to get up to their max speed at -15 can be in the boat getting ready to ski while their friend is working on -38. It is not like snow skiing, where expert skiers enjoy difficult terrain while intermediate skiers must stay on the easier parts of the mountain, separated from their more skilled friends.

• Supporting Member
@Marco Yep, I loved volleyball. But these days I actually avoid it. The whole game just makes no sense if even one person is at a significantly different skill level than the others. Oh, and "casual" players seem to get upset when you spike it off their face...

Many of the reasons above bust mostly because I'm addicted. I get high when I do it, I go through withdrawal when I don't, as soon as I'm done I'm thinking about when I'm going to get my next fix. I need to do it increasingly more to get the same high. I've spent a ton of money on it. I'm willing to risk my body for it. And to justify the addiction I keep trying to get others- even my family members- hooked also.

• Baller
Skiing is such a rush, either in the course or just free skiing for miles down the lake. Speed, acceleration, deceleration, G-Forces plus a great workout, what could be a better way to stay in shape? Skiing at 28 and 32 off feels to me a lot like snow skiing down a nice steep groomed pitch making big GS arcs. For me it just comes down to the Need for Speed, as many others stated, it is an addiction, no doubt about it.

• Baller
Addictive. Saw a course the first time at age 32. Had never released the handle in my life to that point. I was amazed that anyone could actually run 15 off at 36. Over the years I've learned a lot and kept getting better and still have so many guys whose skill and determination astounds and inspires me to keep getting better. What a great sport filled with great people.

• Baller

The whole culture and people.

I have not ever met a true slalom skier that was mean - or even normal for that matter. Everyone I ever meet is always happy and wants every one else to ski their best. They are just friendly folk. I think that is absolutely awesome. I met a guy of Ski-It-Again. We sat in the parking lot and talked for 15 min about skiing. That doesn't happen unless you are both crazy passionate about what you do. Just think of our coaching. What other sport allows you to call up Andy Mapple and get some lessons?

The slalom course.

The day you make your first full pass is probably one of the best feelings ever. That is until you drop a loop and do it again. I like the competitive style of skiing the course. I am competing with myself; not everyone else. I am always trying to get that next loop to get that feeling back.

The boats.

There is not a single boat on the lake that is sexier than an closed bow 3 even tow boat. No question in my mind.

But it all comes back to the people. I don't know many people that run the course personally. But the people I have meet over the years are the nicest people I have ever met and they are all willing to bed over backwards for the sport. I hope some day I have the ability to be that guy for some young person like myself.

• Baller
What everyone else said plus... I can have the most screwed up day at work, or home, and all those thoughts will disappear with the first deep water start. True therapy. On the other hand, the skiing thoughts, what I'm supposed to be working on, technique wise, seem to disappear when I turn in for the gates :\

• Baller
Too many reasons to count (but ditto on what everyone has stated), but recently I have had a ton of satisfaction by introducing several skiers to the course and watching them run their first full pass and more. I even have a couple ready to trade their V-drives in for a direct drives.

• Baller

I just want to go on record that @razorskier1 was amazed by someone who could run 36 mph 15 off when he began...and that just might have been me! He's no longer amazed.

For all the beginners out there...I have VHS of Jim looking to start a tourney at 32 mph 15 off and they pulled him at 34 mph...he took one cut and audibly on shore you hear "that's not 32!" This is another reason I love skiing; the stories that revolve around a skiing event and I've got a million just like all of you. I posted in another thread about Mitch in diapers and I ran my first 28 off 36 in a tourney. Fast forward to today...Mitch rocks the conference tourney and Jim runs more 38's in this season alone than I have in my lifetime.

Can't wait to see the story lines from skiwatch fall double this weekend...I can't ski it but some serious skiers will be there putting up some scores both young and old and I get to be there. Just adds to a lifetime of fun and fire pit stories that revolve around a ski event.

• Baller

All of the above.

Earlier this year, I met a great group of guys that took me and my son in for a daybreak set at their site on public water. Never met them before, sight unseen, they gladly offered up personal equipment (lesson learned: we didn't bring our ski stuff on our trip), pulls on multiple boats, and the familiar companionship and support that I've seen in skiers everywhere.

I was in one of the boats between sets with one of our new friends (68 years old and still running passes in the course) and I said "I don't really know exactly what it is that makes this so commonly addictive". He swept his arms out and said "It's all this!"

Well worth getting up at 5 am.