Compare and Contrast

webbdawg99

• Baller

I saw this pic of Asher and knew I had a very similarly timed photo from a tournament last weekend. This is my 2 ball at 38. I have my thoughts, but would like the feedback of others on what I should be focusing/working on/thinking about to improve my offside. Thanks!

9fyrix6nct8x.jpg

• Baller_

@Webbdawg99 2 subtle, but very important differences;

1. Your com (mainly driven by shoulders) is forward of your front foot, throwing off your balance. Will's pic is fully stacked with shoulders and hips directly in line over his front foot. You need to drive your hips forward and shoulders back if you want to match Will.

2. Your inside shoulder is farther down (toward the water) than Will. You will be amazed at the difference bringing the inside shoulder up 2-3" will make.

I'll also add my $0.02 on the strength argument. Strength to weight ratio is the critical fitness measure slalom skiers should focus on. However, the heavier skiers are at an additional disadvantage due to the revenge of zero off. Lean and mean is today's optimum slalom physique.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
Looks pretty darn good, but the next couple frames are the money shots. The pros finish the turns so much better (at 36 mph) and get the ski under the rope and pointed in the right direction before the hookup. That determines how you put more rope in the boat, not brute strength.

• Baller
@Bruce_Butterfield Thanks for the insight. Your point of shoulders forward is a different take on what I was thinking. I was thinking hips more up, more stacked, but didn't think that maybe shoulder position being too far forward was also a contributing factor. Also, shoulder angle and head angle seem to be more dipped as you mentioned. I need to think about how to move forward over the ski without leading with the shoulders or trailing with the hips.

• Baller
Think about following the ski a little more, which will help keep you more centered. The squaring of the shoulders is just lift the off arm a little for balance. The one thing that I am always in awe of is how much these guys push the ski around the turn and out in front of them. I think stay stacked, centered, etc., but then I watch these guys walk through 39 and the glaring thing to me is how they finish the turns, then wait for the boat to pick them up. Seems like I am always fighting to get the ski from behind me. When I do it somewhat right, it is a big difference. Amen on the light weight part!

• Baller_

..would like the feedback of others on what I should be focusing/working on...

@webbdawg99‌ i agree with your sentiment re @SkiJay‌ and @Than_Bogan‌.

Let me try.

Both you and Will look the same in terms of body position and your location with respect to the buoy. The differance is obvious. You're not skiing in good lighting and from the looks of the horizon, you're skiing up hill.

:smiley:

Seriously, all I've heard is great things about your skiing progress as of late...look out BD tour.

• Baller
I set in the boat with KC sking through 41 off last May. Like AB says angle. I've never seen anyone get that much angle. Nate seems like he gets even a little more. Seeing it from the shore or even boat videos does not do it justice. I think one of the things that sets Nate apart is he gets the angle without letting the ski get out in front of him. He finishes the turn with tons of angle with his body open and COM moving forward.

• Baller

@webbdawg99 Sorry to disappoint with my feedback. I actually meant it as a compliment because you look good. While I agree with every word of @Bruce_Butterfield‌'s feedback, there's more than one way to round a ball, and there's a lot more riding on the position you are in when the load hits.

Case in point, here's a pic of Jamie Beauchesne at about the same point in the turn. Unfortunately, it's not from the same angle, but at this point in time, his feet are clearly beating his hips around the ball. There's no question his hips caught up in time for the load, and I expect so did yours.

Jamie-Beauchesne-1_0x1000%5B1%5D.jpg