Do you use an orthotic foot bed?

rab

In the snow skiing world if you walk into a quality shop to get a set of boots you are most likely going to walk out with a set of aftermarket foot beds. By supporting your arch with a good foot bed you gain comfort and more importantly it helps with balance. So, why is there not a big push for arch support in the water skiing world?

Quick note on heat moldable liners. When you get a fully custom snow skiing foot bed molded the idea is to try and mold it while your arch is in a supported position. To do this you curl your toes up towards the ceiling while the mold sets. (try it just sanding there, it will line up your foot). So the problem with a heat moldable liner is that you can't really mold it into the proper shape. It may be molding to your arch but it is molding to your arch in a mostly unsupported position. That is why I still ski with a custom foot bed even though I have a a heat moldable liner.

P.S. I don't claim to be an expert that is just my opinion after having been a boot fitter at ski shop for a couple years. Also, I don't suggest throwing in your $150 custom foot bed into your water ski boot if it has layers that are glued on. I use a one piece foot bed for water skiing.

• Baller

Its an interesting debate - I would argue that a well fit shell and custom liner negates the need for an actual foot bed in the binding, but that folks should really consider forefoot wedging to enhance the pressure on the toe.

It is the shimming of the shell to match the leg that I think is more troublesome.

• Baller
Yes. Custom cork footbeds (old school technology and still great) for the last 30+ years for snow skiing in a progression from Lange Banshees, Raichle Flexon Comps, and Dalbello Krypton Cross. In my Radar Strada waterski boots I use the Radar provided footbed inside the liner.

• Baller

Switched to Reflex (w/RTP) last year. I'm RFF with a high arch and instep. Without an insole, my foot "crushes" and ski immediately goes left. I use a Powerstep insole which straightens things out.

I've got a great set of custom beds in my snowski boots that I wish could handle water.

• Baller
Interesting question. I run them in my race boots but never had a fancy enough water ski boot or figure I spend enough time in a waterski boot for it to make a difference. The main reason I run them in my race boots is to keep my arches from collapsing, going without them is a painful experience after a couple hours. They also have full heat moldable liners, which for me are more about getting a firm comfortable fit than making them so tight that they have to be unbuckled after every run.

• Baller
I have worn orthotics (severe pronation - I have feet like a duck...) in everything from hockey skates to every shoe I own, I tried them in my powershells and could not get the feel for the top of the ski on the bottom of my foot.

"Do Better..."

• Baller

@Dee Jim Yeager‌ Yes... he's focused in on one aspect of producing foot orthotics - wedging/correcting the alignment of the foot externally to the foot otherwise letting the foot do what it wants to do, but then correcting the alignment of the foot to the ground.

Which if you figure out what you need, can also be accomplished by shimming your shell...

• Baller
I used to use footbeds in everything: waterski, ski, skate and sometimes shoes. Now I don't use them at all. A good fit, the right alignment and just let my feet do what they're designed to do. I have discovered that balance does not gain anything from casting the bottom of the foot.

• Baller
@Than_Bogan‌ you might need to shim the boot, outside or inside, to get the balance and leg alignment you're looking for. Sometimes the cuff is actually in the way of where your leg needs to be. It is more obvious in an ice skate and less on a waterski but some people need it. I just don't feel like I need the shape of my foot contoured into the footbed. It locks your foot and prevents you from using it's full potential.

• Baller
I used to use orthotics in my jumpers and for a while in my slalom bindings and felt they improved control. When I switched to Reflex, I was between sizes and went smaller with no room for an insole. I've been debating about going larger and adding an insole but am thinking that having a fit like a race boot is better- and cheaper- than switching. Advice?

Update:

I finally got to talk to a couple snow ski boot gurus that came by the shop I work at. They are both long time industry professionals and most of the current boot fitters in the midwest have learned a lot of what they know from these two. Luckily one of them is a shortline skier and had some insight. He said that an aftermarket foot bed that supports the foot but also allows the foot to flex is a must. The other one that works for Sidas said that a water ski company had actually approached them to make waterski specific foot beds but the quantities were too low. As far a shimming the boot, which is very common in snow skiing, they said not to worry about it unless you are skiing into 38 off and have too much time on your hands to dial in the angles.

• Baller

Been thinking about it but not sure how to get it in, tight fit in my Reflex already. The Reflex doesn't have a flat bed either. Have used custom ones in my Alpine boots for many years. Much better feel for the edge and less buckle pressure with them.

@nando I think the close fit trumps the foot beds. Once these liners are suitably thrashed I may try cutting the bottom out and gluing/sewing it to a foot bed. Not sure it would add buoy's but would be interesting to play around with.