Advanced Topic - segregation vs integration

mwetskier

• Baller

3 days ago @Bruce_Butterfield started a new thread in the advanced topic section which is limited to skiers approved for that section so the great majority of BOS members are not allowed to post there. i found myself disagreeing with some of his conclusions but could not reply since i'm not qualified so i thought about raising the subject in this section. turns out @mrpreuss beat me to it so i was able to post my opinion here instead.

as of this post there are 4 comments in the original advanced topic thread and it has just over 500 views. in the same time period the identical topic here in the techniques and theory section has more 1000 views and over 30 comments and growing including some from @MarcusBrown and @twhisper. the original poster @Bruce_Butterfield from the advanced topic section has joined us here too and the original advanced topic thread is sinking with a bullet.

so my question is could this possibly be a strong indication that good work and more interest comes from integrating discussion between top skiers and us among the great unwashed or should i look forward to being banned for my impertinence?

• Supporting Member

I recently learned a term called the Hawthorne Effect (apologies if misspelled). It began with a study where they told people they were going to increase the light in the hopes that it would improve productivity. It did! So they increased it more and more and got more and more productivity. Then some brilliant social scientist had the idea of taking another group and DEcreasing their light, also telling the workers they would be measuring productivity. And their productivity ALSO increased!

So the effect refers to the fact that people respond when you pay any sort of attention to them; the details are less important.

That has happened here. Whether you love, hate or don't care about Advanced Topics, you have to admit some really interesting discussions have been going on since Horton stirred the pot a bit!

• Baller
...and that when you have different view points and no one has to claim victory, you end up with something pretty good, or better than the indvidual thought. I think (hope) that everyone has benefitted from discussion surrounding the transition from different sides and can carry some things out to the dock next Spring. I know I will. And to think, @Horton‌ didn't throw a Panda at me when we first disagreed! Restraint is such a beautiful thing. Maybe being a Dad is softening him up!

• Baller_
FWIW, I really like the idea of Advanced Topics, but the unintended consequence of duplicate threads is unfortunate. There have been good comments/questions from mid-level skiers. My preference is to have anyone able to contribute to the primary thread, but it would be a basic rule that the moderators would delete any posts that are off topic or de-rail the thread.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller_
I think content in this sport when it comes to technique is difficult to keep at the top of a daily forum. There is only so many ways to say the same thing. I look at WSM over the years and how the magazine has gotten thinner and less of them come to my mail box. Finding new and fresh ideas related to technique is difficult for them and we do not get that magazine daily. This is the one waterski source where ideas do get tossed around far more then any other resource. Some ideas are great and some not so great. Some just for fun. All entertaining for the most part. I do not read all the threads as some have no interest for me like shoving a ski in a tiny car. A good thing as it gives me choices. But it got looks and posts. I'm sure it helped someone somewhere. If it wasnt for the daily non technique..aka...advance topic threads, I do feel this site would shrink as fast as WSM. It's a shmorgishborg (look it up) buffet of water ski related stuff. Sometimes you have a lot of what is just ok items to chose from and then someone sets out the prime rib and everyone digs in. For me...advance topic... meh...I'll toss my ideas in, but feel no real loyalty to do so. I have more fun consuming and being entertained by the scmorgishbog buffet. And of course digging into the prime rib and coming back for seconds.... Hmmmm..now I'm hungry.

• Administrators

I understand that some of you do not like this. Cut me some slack and understand this this is something I hope will increase the quality of the content. Advanced Topics is something we are trying.

It is not 1% of the threads and it is really not a subject for debate.

• Baller

@gregy - Good Idea! The primary complaint that I felt had merit was the inability for a non-Advanced Topic member to ask for clarification via comment post.

I like your suggestion of using the Forum's Private Message function to ask that question. Ideally, the Advanced Topic team should echo those PM questions and their answers back into the Advance Topic thread for furthered learning.

• Baller_
Had that kind of PM written to me. Mostly for clearification on a term. I had used the opposite of a term I should have used making it somewhat confusing. It prompted me to correct it so I can see where a PM would work well for that.