Florida Trip

LZywicki1

• Baller

The wife and I are planning a trip to Florida in Feb. and as strange as it may sound, what kind of things are there to do in the Orlando area that isn't waterskiing, (have that covered). Last time that I was there was about 40+years ago when Disney World first opened. Not really looking at amusement/theme park, but not counting them out. Just something nice for the wife and I do when not skiing.

Thanks Larry

Larry -----<|

• Baller
I was in Orlando over Christmas skiing, and during one of the days we went go-karting at Orlando Grand Prix and had a ton of fun. Fast karts to the point where you can drift turns and you pretty much have to brake to avoid crashing. Also we went to Warbird Adventures in Kissimmee, (roughly 20 minutes south of Orlando, a couple miles from Disney) and did 30 minute flights in T-6 fighter planes from WWII. It's a little pricey, but totally worth it. The pilots are very friendly, and let you do maneuvers on your own. If you add on the aerobatics option you get to do flips/rolls etc. which is completely worth it if you don't get motion sickness easily. Kennedy Space Center is really interesting for everyone. Lots of stuff to do there. If you go east to the beach I then Coconuts on the Beach is a really good restaurant with a patio right on the beach.

• Baller
@wtskior I like the hockey game idea and never thought about going to ski shops, unfortunately I was asked why do I want to go to a hockey game when we're in Florida, we live in Hockey Town. Pro shop just got a look, but I was also playing with the boat builder for the Malibu LXR at the time too.

Larry -----<|

• Baller
Not sure if having a FedEx account helps with the price. 3 day ground one way is $44 with no declared value and $63 with $2K valve. Don't have to deal with TSA, baggage claim, hauling trough the airport and shuttles. Having it shipped to a school this time, other times I've just had it sent to a FedEx office close to where I was staying.

Larry -----<|

• Baller

Pick-up point depends on the flight and skiing schedules and logistics . Their has been a time when I got a call from a fellow Baller about coming over for a set as I driving away from the airport in the morning.

@Wish I have one, buts is black.

Larry -----<|

• Baller
Lake Buena vista/international drive area and doctor Philips are good for most of the schools AMD shopping. There isn't much around the airport IMO. I've stayed at both and prefer being a little further west. Most of the schools are west of the airport, closer to Disney. The boarding school is about the only one in the east.

• Baller

rzpu9shm37cr.jpg

Very glad to be leaving the snow behind, (just finished digging out) and getting ready to head down. We will be at Travers's with friends for a few days, then its off to Space Center, The Boarding School, Disney and back to Travers's. Hopefully we will get a change to meet a few of you.

Larry -----<|

• Baller_
I have stayed at the Lake Buenos Vista Holiday Inn several times and was very satisfied. Close to skiing, restaurants, shopping, Downtown Disney and Disney, etc. Easy on and off I 4. 10 minutes max to OWC, Mapple's and LaPoints, maybe 15 to Fischer's and T Gas's. If you are a Nautique owner, call your local dealer and see if he or she can arrange a factory tour. I went last week. Me, two young folks from Texas, our guide and one other guy... What the heck was his name?... Nate something..... Smith maybe?

Lpskier

• Baller

@bananaron pretty sure if you ask anyone that follows the NHL " where is hockey town" the response will be Detroit. Minnesota is not a town. If you want to promote it as " hockey state" go for it, but leave hockey town to Detroit. One of the few good things left there.

GO STARS. Ohhh I forgot they left Minnesota. What a great hockey state. Lol. Way to support your team.

• Baller
Detroit not a car town anymore? After living in southeast MI for 61 years I can't even begin to comment how wrong that statement is! You have no idea how deeply connected we are to cars and the culture. Be it the manufacturers, suppliers, racing, the hot rod scene, cars and everything about them rule the Detroit area. We have the largest new car show in the world, the largest hot rod show in the world and the largest single day auto event in the world (Dreamcruise). On top of that the Wings lead all of pro sports with a 21 year streak of making the playoffs and have one of the best young teams in the league this year! Go Wings!

Pretty amazing that no one mentioned going the USAWS office and the AWSEF Museum! I was there a few weeks ago for the board meeting and always find it fascinating to look at all the old skis and other momentos of the sport. Depending on where you're staying it's probably a halfday side trip. Or make it a day and grab a set or two at Ski Fluid out the back door!

• Baller_

I would add to the thread but I am not too happy with the State Of Hockey at this time.

The Fers were ranked pre-season #1 and are not even in the top 15. The Wild have lots of issues and may not make it into the playoffs. Our High School Hockey program now has 15 different state champions and is nothing like it was in the 70/80/90s.