New Malibu LXR?

kstateskier

• Baller_
@swc5150‌, I would be interested to see what you are quoted for the LXR. I just emailed a dealer here for MSRP on an LXR with trailer, ZO, base 350HP engine and cover. They said $65,000. I'm stunned. I am thinking of writing back to confirm they quoted me the right boat.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_
Like @swc5150‌, I did a little more questioning of my dealer and included details on my LX previous purchase (which included ZO) and cost recollection of new LXs in the last few years. I received a new quote of 52K. I think maybe they realized the original MSRP number they floated was not to a noob. And, after all, "there is a difference between actual purchase price and MSRP".

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Supporting Member

@Razorskier1 Agree on the -$10k. I understand the fear of cannibalizing your own business, but this feels like a REALLY tough sell if it costs significantly more than a Carbon Pro -- which it sounds like has better slalom wakes. Of course, I'm not an open bow guy, so maybe I'm hugely under-rating the difference people would pay for that.

@chef23 @rayn It's amusing that we have similar performance and on the same lake and many other similarities in our "situation," but have 3 different preferences for the bow: step-through, walk-over, and closed. Shows how much that's a personal preference thing.

• Baller_
Out of curiosity, which makes a better wake boat for wake sports. The claim seams to be LXR over TXI. Could it be they are counting a bit more on the cross over folks? If owned for a year, would it not be easier to sell? Just thinkn out loud.

• Baller
I give credit to MC for creating a boat that is both an open or closed bow and provides first rate wakes, space and ergonomics. (Of course doing that comes at a cost). I have actually gone from a step thru OB when kids were small to a walk-over as they grew, now I have a closed bow because the I find I rarely have more than 3 people in the boat and kids aren't too interested in skiing -- or even being seen --with "old guys". The LXR and TXi in the same line up without a clear price difference is a little confusing but It's great to have some ski-able options.

• Baller_
@oldjeep‌ not a great wake boat but as they claim, or imply is that it's better then TXI. Which means if someone was looking for a potential crossover and was a bit sticker shocked by the wake boat prices, the dealer could point them to the LXR for 1/3 the price. Also the reason for a trunk and open bow. May be easier to sell then we think.

• Baller
1/3 the price of a crossover? It might be 1/3 the price of a Nautique G23 ;) In any event I suspect that someone with 50K or so that wanted a crossover or wake boat would either buy a cheaper brand or buy used before they bought a very small, very low DD.

• Baller_
@oldjeep wrong fraction. Meant 3/4 the price. Kinda like that car ya really want only to find out there is a ton of fees and they only have the most expesive optioned one. So dealer says...look over here. Can get u in this one for much less and does essentially the same thing.

• Baller
It reminds me of my boat 2005 Malibu Sportster LX with a wedge. My boat has great wakes for some surfing and wake boarding with the wedge down but also has good slalom wakes. Best of both worlds and it did not cost huge $$$$

"Do Better..."

• Baller
My boat was 32.5 in 2002 new at the boat show. With a 3% annual inflation rate over 12 years if I did the math right that would put the same exact boat at about 46K in today's dollars. $52K is obviously higher than that but not a crazy amount.

• Baller

But your calculation on 3% annual inflation only takes into account the cost of money. Materials, overhead, and SG&A outpaced the inflation rate by a large amount at times. Calculate out how much resin is used on a 20ft ski boat and then compare the price of resin in 2002 with the price of resin now. It far outpaced the inflation rate. There was a reset in the way companies charged for labor every 3-4 years in that time, too. Massive government regulation, such as the ACA, have forced this. For example, my company had a loaded labor cost of $53/hr for our technical employees in 2006. In 2010 it was $72 and in 2013 it was $88. Today that loaded labor cost is $120. Boom! In 8 years our labor cost has gone up 120% while the inflation rate would tell you it would cost about 25% more.

I bought a F250 Powerstroke Crew Cab new in 2002 for $32k. That same truck today is $55k after the discounts and rebates.

I'd like to be able to place the blame at the dealers and manufacturers, but things are just expensive now. The one thing I can say is that the dealer area protection gives no reason to compete on price on a ski boat.