New Malibu LXR?

kstateskier

• Baller

Trying to find specs, have a cottage on small private lake with a rule that boats must measure at or under 20ft and also have a published manufacturers specs at 20ft or below. Right now only options are Nautique and Mastercraft would love to have another option.

Regardless if it improved on the LX it should be a player. Already like the walk thru bow.

• Baller

Walk thru open bow LX...weren't these being sold in Australia? Cool concept if the driver erg's improve such that not seated on the floor looking through the small vertical space between dash and windshield frame. Would also like to see a rear facing seat extension across the walk through open bow option.

Great boat, all new would seem to be a stretch.

• Baller
We have had these in Australia for a few years now. As previously said it's basically just an lx with walk through bow. Nice boat only thing I don't like is the observers seat is really short and with 3 in the boat it's a tight fit. You can get a dickie seat that slids in next to it but it blocks off the walk through.

• Baller
Love the trunk...on a public lake so sometimes you have to sit and wait, after you have put your ski on, for the 'inconsiderate' lake users to get out of the way. This is the old Response LX SV23 hull with a walk through rather than a step over. I like it...proven hull, all the necessary items without all the fluff. Won't be trading in my TXi anytime soon but awesome anyways.

• Baller_

@dtm8119, I seem to recall the original LX in 2010 (they were still making them then) was in the low 40s MSRP. If they get/keep it close to that and maybe even sell some sub-40, I think it will move. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to. They are still reaping the benefits of 15 year old tooling and design - and a really good one at that.

The other question I have is if it has the catalytic converter on it. I'd really prefer not to have it, as is the case for me now.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

@oldjeep Malibu really never stopped selling this hull. The molds were owned by the Malibu licensee in Australia and with Malibu's purchase of that licensee last year, they reacquired the tooling. They're just marketing it in the US now.

@MISkier It would HAVE to have cats on it. There's no getting around that in the US. All boats produced after 9/1/2010 have to include engines that meet the new EPA standards.

• Baller
@ShaneH - yeah I know, one of the local guys has an LX. Just seemed to me that one of the reasons to more publicly bring it back and fix the silly bathtub bow would be to try to compete with the "new" budget boat on the market - not like gekko really ever stopped selling the GTS20 either.

• Baller_
Prediction; GTS20 is a very very budget minded boat. Bu cannot make this LXR for that. The difference in the windshield alone is substantial. Start ticking off all the other creature comfort differences and the price gap widens. Less then a TXI for sure and possibly the CP (doubt that) but no where near Gekko. Guessing mid 40s and up.

• Baller
I love that boat. I remember seeing the photos of the Australian LXR a couple of years ago. The simple gel design is great. I've never been a big fan of the 07+ gel designs. A modern day version of the 93-97 Echelon LX. Perfect boat for me...

• Baller
Nice direction for them to take. I'd like to see someone make a 16ft closed bow hull, bare bones dash, driver and 2 person observer seat, pylon, mahog' platform with a lightweight engine like a 2.4ltr honda making about 200hp mated to an aluminum tranny direct drive on a trailer with the whole rig's weight at about 1500lbs. Hey it's winter...

• Baller_
Ok, so I could be wrong here but did they book a model for that shoot..?... no not TGas. With all the stunning female skiers out there, they couldn't find just one? She looked scared in the power turn/spin all straight arm locked on the pylon and the iron grip on the grab bar. But managed to force a smile. And I think TGas was flirting....I would.

• Baller

I look at it as head to head with the Carbon Pro. All the skiability, a purpose built slalom tug, and an open bow and trunk to boot giving it just a slice more versatility.

The GTS-20 is 20 but that includes the platform if I remember right which is molded into the boat...it's tiny like a sportster and performs/tracks like one...which is to say super acceleration/top end, drives like a ferrari but doesn't track as nice and has a small/low interior.

This could be big for them. Carbon Pro needs to do a step over open bow to compete. Those wanting bigger can jump into the Txi, Prostar, 200.

Wonder if they are moving towards this boat as the certified slalom tug and then continue to push the big margin boats moving forward given the relatively small 3-event market.

• Baller

A ski partner of mine has had one for 12 months or so.

Exactly the same as a LX, with current running gear, fitout and style. Due to the walk through, the dash and driving position has moved slightly to the starboard side.

Overall its a very decent ski boat with a walk through open bow in a compact proven hull.

• Baller
I still have a Response LX and other than Zero Off dont see a need to get rid of it. With that siad glad to see Malibu doing this, although one of the top features I like about the LX is the full sized observer seat and the walk over. It gives the boat a closed bow feel when we are using it for its primary purpose. Then I have the bow seating for knocking around with the kids. Full disclosure we are on public water.

• Baller

I have the opposite perspective as @rayn. I have the same boat as he does and I would prefer a walk through. I think the seating in the walk through looks more usable for hanging around than the bench in the walkover also.

I agree with @Ham_Wallace‌ that I wouldn't want a boat without a trunk or somewhere to store some stuff. I don't put my ski in there but I do store other stuff in there.

• Baller

I really like the look of this one

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/private/used/SSE-AD-3086182/2013-Malibu-RESPONSE-LXR?cr=3&psq=%28BoatAll%3Dkeyword%5Blxr%5D%26%28%28%28%28SiloType%3D%5BDemo%20and%20near%20new%20boats%5D%7CSiloType%3D%5BDealer%20new%20boats%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D%5BDealer%20used%20boats%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D%5BPrivate%20used%20boats%5D%29%26Service%3D%5BBoatsales%5D%29%29&pso=0&pss=Premium

They are apparently pretty popular here in Australia. I've been behind a few Responses (same hull different deck). The go fast, are light and economical and you can have a big engine for barefooting performance.

I very much doubt it is the end of the TXI. Just a competitor to the cheaper options like Carbon Pro. You could get an idea of american pricing by comparing RRP of both the TXI and LXR in Australia and the difference would be similar to what the difference will be (how much cheaper the LXR will be) in America

• Baller

That's our Myuna Bay Club boat. The salt water is very harsh on the boats but they are looked after extremely well. It has a heat exchanger and is flushed with Salt Away after every use, (almost every day). We turn the boats over ever year, and have never had any issues after sale. There are several of our previous boats that we see regularly and the new owners are always happy.

As far as the LXR's themselves, (we are on our 2nd, and had 5 LX's prior) they are a great boat. The wakes aren't quite as good and they don't track as well as the TXi but pretty close.