Basic radar binding mounting question

blagrata

• Baller

Hope everyone is getting a good set in today. 75 and sunny here today and going to try out my new Senate Graphite. I went to put the bindings on and was a bit confused by the hardware. I have the profile bindings.

1) Where do the washers go with regards to the binding plate? I was presuming that the metal plate goes directly on the ski... then the washer on top of the plate and then put the screw in? Are the washers instead some kind of spacer that goes under the plate?

2) Also... there is a boomerang shaped metal piece that I presume goes underneath on of the heels as a riser... is this optional? How does this get put on if I want to use it?

3) As best I can find from multiple threads here the front binding is supposed to be 29.5 inches from the back of the ski. A few threads have mentioned measuring to the "stitching". The boot just looks like there is some horizontal stitching that goes around the back of the heel. The only reference i found on radars site is that a pro skier suggested "the center hole" for binding placement. In the center hole the back of the boot is exactly 29.5 inches... so I guess this is right?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to trying the ski out later this afternoon and just want to make sure I got it set up right! Hope everyone is skiing today.

@blagrata are you using the sequence plate? One big plate Both boots mount to it? If so the little spacers are designed to go under the front and rear no spacers in the center. The other boomerang piece sits on top of the plate in the rear. Happy turns. What size ski?

• Baller
@markchilcutt I have one plate attached to each boot... So I guess not what you are describing. So those little washers do go underneath the plate. Ski is a 67. What's the purpose of the boomerang piece on top of the plate? Thanks.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. I don't use and never have used and really not sure of install for 2 plates. I think theysimply screw ddirectly to the ski no spacers required no boomerang piece required in the rear. The only use for a spacer would be on top of your plates to help insure your screws are not bottoming out

• Baller

@blagrata The flat, plastic washers goes under the plate.

To take up the space created by the foam pad under the plates.

Also protects the ski from scuffing.

U-shaped plate goes on top of rear plate for the back holes.

• Baller

@blagrata Use the countersunk screws with the u-shaped plate, will make the rear plate hold up better.

It has happened that the rear portion of the rear plate breaks due to all the slot cutouts, there is just not that much material back there for screw heads alone.

Regarding plastic washers, do what you want, putting them under the plate is what they are intended to, video or not

• Baller
The flat, black plastic washers go on top of the plate in between the screws and the plate. The truss head screws go through the washers then through the plate then into the inserts in the ski. I would use the little boomerang shaped bar in the back using the widest set of holes and the flat top counter sink screws.

• Baller

Oops, guess I"m misinformed.

@eddie_roberts_jr Care to explain why the plastic washers go on top? There is no foam backing under the plates around the screw holes creating a space between the plate and ski, with no washers taking up that space the plate just bends downward towards the ski.

Just curious.

(this is not regarding the sequence plate)

LINK

I have 2 plates (2016 radar vapor boots). Need the mounting instructions for the front plate.

Got the boot new with front plate, but without the 4 threaded neck washers. In my opinion you need these to allow the ski to flex.

The dealer keeps telling me: no just screw directly to the ski !

• Baller
@prettig when each boot has its own plate you just screw them directly to the ski. The Sequence plate instruction link you included in your post references hardware that is specific to the Sequence plate. Many Radar skiers have stopped using the neck washer configuration in either the front or the back or both and just screw the Sequence plate to the ski without them. There are other threads discussing this. Performance Ski & Surf has Radar Hardware which is nice.

you can screw them directly to the ski, but lots of systems have the neck washer to allow the ski to flex at the boot. Fixing it with 6 screws means the ski has far less flex at the full length of the plate. So you might as well buy a cheap ski.