ZO Surging

tony

• Baller_

@sunperch

From Will Bush: "I am being told that any puck with a serial number AFTER - 19P053497 is the new hardware/software. This should help to identify which pucks are currently at issue."

Also-I have had contacts with MasterCraft, Malibu and Nautique concerning erratic behavior with recent 2015 installs of Zero Off.

After investigation, it appears to comes down to the Garmin Puck - GPS 18x 5Hz with a new chipset . According to Garmin, the original GPS chip - MT3318 used in the GPS 18x 5Hz puck, we have been using, has been discontinued. The new chipset in the GPS 18x 5Hz puck is MT 3339. The new puck was first release with firmware version 3.90. It has subsequently been updated to firmware version 4.00.

I have tested several samples of the new puck, sent to me by two of the towboat manufacturers. They are unacceptable for our use in three event skiing. For example, in the slalom mode with no skier, upon engagement ZO will over shoot the target speed (higher than the intended elevated gate speed outside the course); then enter the course and not make a quick adjustment to the new target speed. In other words, it is slow to adjust. As the boat moves down course (second half) the speed begins to fall below target to correct for times. In other instances, once the boat engages, the boat speed will drop significantly as your approach the 55M buoys, then over shoot just prior to the entrance gate and be a bit erratic in the course. While times are typically in tolerance, the ride is unacceptable.

I have updated the firmware version to 4.00, with no improvement in results.

All testing has been done with known good boats. Switching back to the Garmin pucks with the prior chipset (w/firmware version 3.40) results in everything returning to normal.

That was From the tow boat committee

As for Garman replacing them??? I know the new boats that are affected are being replaced from the boat manufacturer, right now ZO is trying to recoup from Garman and is asking them to step up and replace affected units at no charge.

Also be aware that the ECI receivers are just around the corner and conversion hardware and software will be available soon... hopefully priced right.

We ran this ZO/ECI system at the masters and have logged many hours and it seems to be superior in performance then the Garman setup.

• Baller_

@kfennell ,

The ECI/ZO is a single antenna set up rather then a dual Garman. from what I am told it produces a cleaner dialog with the ZO system. this antenna has been run on the wake boats for a number of years in conjunction with ZO speed control. Between Will, Andy and Freddy K they have been working pretty hard to bring this version to skiers and make it retrofit-able.

• Baller
@"Jack Kinne" , yes ZO will function properly with one puck. Previously some pucks failed. As long as you had one good one everything worked. If the second failed, obviously you were out of luck. Failure of a puck could be determined by going to the diagnostic screen. With the current puck problem there will be no diagnostic indication due to the fact that the puck did not fail, it's just incompatible with the system. Correct me if I'm wrong on this @Jody_Seal.

• Baller
Leon you are close....the system will work with one puck, however if both are connected and one is bad the boat will act erratic depending on which pick the GPS locks on to when the boat is started. They should be tested with only one connected, once the system locks onto a puck it will stay on that puck until the system is turned off with the red switch on the kick plate below the driver.....I am on puck #5 in my 15

• Baller
Tim, when you say "bad" you're refering to the current crop of pucks right? The older pucks sometimes just failed (rarely it seems) and in those situations a failure by one didn't cause erratic behavior did it? John's '10 boat had both fail but it seemed ok while running on one. At least I didn't notice anything when I drove it.

• Baller
They don't fail completely they are just too slow to react causing the boat to surge.....I have been testing pucks all morning and had one from last year and one of the new ones that were unacceptable today. My boat will show up at your tournament next week with one puck on it.

• Baller
Good Question @ozski .....AWSA has never approved more than one speed control so the monopoly is a problem they have perpetuated. And yes unfortunately even if there were two approved systems most boats would only have one and the way they are integrated into the boat displays it wouldn't be easy or inexpensive to convert to the speed control system that works that month!

• Baller
Let's get this back up to the top again with a new question. You promo guys (and anyone with a '15) fess up now. How many of you are experiencing problems such as those described by @Jody_Seal and Will Bush? Based on the fact that all pucks after the serial number noted by Jody are slow communicating there must be a lot of '15 boats with them.

• Baller
My 15 CC had a surging issue this year as soon as I started skiing behind it. Seemed to be worse with heavier skiers and deeper short line. Most the time the skier didn't notice it but I could hear and feel it while driving. Was told to unhook both pucks and plug just one back into the system. So far that has worked fine and the boat feels and ski's great.

• Baller
The current word on the street is that ZO has developed / procured another type of GPS antennae. This will require new software upgrade in main module. Unless you are able to get your hands on an older serial numbered "puck" this new approach is your only fix. As I said the "word on the street".

I best check my serial numbers - just installed a couple of weeks ago. I should add that I have noticed surging but I only have limited experience with ZO in other boats. Where I ski there is a very short run in and I thought maybe that had something to do with it - I'll try disconnecting a puck and see if there is a difference.

• Baller

I am in paradise at the moment, flew 5000 miles from winter at home in Tasmania to Darwin in Australia's Northern Territory. The weather is perfect the private lakes are glass and our only boat has the GPS pick issue. Both old picks are dead and both new pucks are in the bad serial number range. We can't ski!

I can handle electronics and IT. Please tell me how I can get the new puck update and what I have to do to perform it

Thanks heaps!

67dzhftzq9i2.jpg

• Baller
Just updating my previous post. The problem was the accelerometer in the head unit. The boat has done about 2200 hours in the tropics. A new head unit fixed it. The pucks from the bad serial number work fine in this boat. Also tried some of the new fixed pucks but didn't need them.

Hi Guys, Earlier this year I fitted a Zero Off system to my 2013 Txi. I have been very frustrated and disappointed with the surging and thankfully your forum has hopefully solved my issues. Both my pucks are later than mentioned. 19PO55645 & 19PO54441. My issue is I purchased this system in Australia and would like any suggestions what puck I should source and from where. Or is there someone who I can contact that may be able to confirm this fault to the local distributor so I can claim under warranty. Cheers Stewie

• Baller

Where can I see the serial nr on the Garmin Puck´s. Will a Garmin puck from a Stargazer system work with the Zero off system? I have an old Garmin puck from a Stargazer system the only thing that seems to be different is the plug in. Looking forward to hear some input. Thank you.

• Baller

No but Perfect Pass sells ZO pucks that plug right in

Old Star Gazer pucks will not work different chip set,firmware and plug I do have a boat load of ZO pucks that I have loaded the new firm ware into

• Baller
@Thomas_Gustafson I don't know the answer to your question, but if you are in need of one of the good pucks that were manufactured prior to the change, I have one of my spares left. (I purchased a new single puck as a backup for my 2016 and future years promo and don't have a need for the backups for the dual puck system

• Baller
I have a few of the earlier model Garmin GPS-18x LVC pucks that I used for a past project. I'm pretty sure it's the right hardware version to work with ZO. I will have to change the connector, but what firmware needs to be loaded for it to work correctly with ZO. Is it just a specific version of Garmin Firmware? I think these have Garmin V3.50 firmware loaded at the moment.

Has anyone ever experienced issues where the boat will cut out/not die when spinning at ends of lake with ZO?

Also I just upgraded my 08' Nautique with the new version of ZO, do I need to be concerned about the issues above?

I've noticed the cutting out around turns and ZO not automatically switching to the right course on our lake. (We have two courses)

Thanks!

• Baller

I'm having the surging issue taking my son trick skiing at 24.2mph. It didn't really do this last year but it's really noticable now and causing an issue doing toes.

My Puck has a tag that says GPS PUCK 2209003A 020956. How do I know the software version or model of this one?

I tried ordering a replacement from ZeroOff but it didn't seem to make a difference.

• Baller

Which ZO version? Is this the original 3-event ZO with Dual pucks?

The only way I know to check the software version of the pucks is to disconnect them from ZO and connect them to a computer running the Garmin utility software.