Beginner looking to buy first slalom ski - not sure where to start

hbfs

Hello all,

I am a beginner level water skiier who learned to water ski last summer and instantly fell in love with the sport. This summer I am working towards a goal of learning to slalom and have started shopping for my first ski. I've found an overwhelming amount of information and options, and frankly, I just don't know where to start. I apologize for the sheer amount of questions; I am just slightly clueless and very eager to learn.

Some basics: I am age 22, 5'8'', 140 lbs, and my budget including bindings is $500. I have no problem with buying used or demos. I generally free ski at 28-31, but boat speed has generally just been left to whatever the boat driver feels comfortable towing a new skiier at. I can get up fine on one ski but currently I am a bit of a ways off from being able to run the course.

First, what size ski should I be looking at? And what speed does one usually start to learn the course at?

Next, I have taken a look at Ski-It-Again but the options are overwhelming. What ski materials and model years should I be looking at in my price range? Are there any popular models you would recommend that I keep an eye out for? With my budget and inexperience, would it be recommended to demo newer models of skis I'm interested in as a point of reference, or should I not worry too much about it?

Any insightful answers or tips would be hugely appreciated. Thank you for your patience.

• Baller_

The Radar P6 is a great learning ski for the course. You can start at slower speeds which I highly recommend. 24-28mph. Size wise I am not sure. 65". Not sure if they make a 64". It is basically a wider ski with high end ski like charactoristcs and design. You can get a full new set up boots and all for way less then $500. Used for under $200.

The other option in order to work at slower speeds is a used, slightly larger, high end ski in the Radar line up or D3 brands. Check Ski-it-Again.com. There you will have lots of options for $500 or less in the 67" range for those slower speeds. Once your speed increases you can almost sell it for what you paid and buy the next size down.

• Baller

@hbfs welcome to BOS. There are many good options for a beginner. Ski selection is a lot about personal choice. If you live near a pro shop that will let you demo skis that would be great. But that is not an option for everyone.

At your weight you need a 65" ski. I'm close to your weight and made the mistake years ago of buying a 67. It was a painful lesson but was before I found BOS.

Thanks for the great tips! I have been looking at a 65" 2012 Radar Theory I found on sale, but I found their 2012 brochure (http://issuu.com/zoodsmak/docs/2012-radar-brochure) and it lists the 65" Theory for 95-135 lbs and 67" for 125-185 lbs. I weigh 140 lbs. Thoughts?

Any other recommendations for a ski to take a look at? I understand that ski selection is very personal, but having only ever tried out one ski, I don't have a very good comprehension of the different nuances of skis.

• Baller

D3.

The X7, X5, RCX, Z7, and Z7ST are all good skies. Stable and user friendly but able to progress to any level.

It seems that other companies have skis aimed at the beginner market where D3 makes skis that are, as I said, user friendly but were also at one time their top of the line tournament ski.

I am sure some of the other skis by Radar, etc. are very good, I just don't have much knowledge about their beginner/intermediate gear. Welcome to the board.

• Baller

@Wish and I must have been replying at the same time. He has wwwway more experience than I do. I see what he is saying, if you get a 67" you could slow it down more in the course (maybe 25-28mph). I am just saying for me, freesking at 32mph on a 67" (at 140lbs) was no fun. I learned a little in the course at 28mph on my 67". Then the next season went to a 66" and did much better. Now I am on a 65".

I would not worry about the 65" Theory being ratted for up to 135 lbs and you are 5 lbs over. One thing to remember, ratings are guide lines. Ski manufacturers have to make ratings for skiers of all sizes, age range and skill levels (short & big vs tall & thin / 15 year old vs 75 year old). At 22 years old if the 65" Theory sinks a little at 26mph you should be strong enough to hang on, or bump the speed up to 27mph. Do you get what I am saying? It would me much different if a 140 lb 75 year old beginner was on a 65" at 26mph.

But get a second opinion, maybe call Radar.

You are on the right track. Find something that was made in the last 3-4 years and you should be fine. I went to the manufacturers websites and read about what the different skis were designed for. Then, I searched around for the best deal on the ones that I thought were best for my level. I ended up with a "blemished" Obrien Synchro for right around $200 new, bindings and all. I think I'm the only one on here that is on one because it's a wide ski and can be used in the course but it's definitely not rated as a top end ski. These folks are so far beyond my ability as a skier its not even funny. But, for getting my 210 lb butt out of the water it works fine and I can ski at the top of my ability on it for the time being. I bought a P6 too but haven't been on it yet. Let us know what you decide on and why. Welcome to the site.

• Supporting Member

Personally, I'd strongly recommend getting a longer and/or wider ski at this stage and starting to learn the course slowwww. At your weight you might be able to go as slowly at 24 mph. This may feel ridiculous, especially on open water, but rest assured the buoys will still come up too quickly at first. I firmly believe that most people try to learn the course at way too high a speed and end up in scramble mode all the time instead of developing form, rhythm, and confidence.

"Worst" case you'll be a natural and zip right through 24, 26, and 28 and then have to reward yourself with a new shorter ski!

Thanks for all the recommendations, I will be sure to look into all of them! One of the main reasons I have been considering the Theory thus far is simply because there is a cheap blem available in 65", whereas the P6 blem I found is only available in 67".

@slvrbulit I am based in San Jose, CA.

• Baller
  • Baller

Plus 2 cents on the P6.

I currently ride the Theory and that is a great ski that can take you a long way into the course

Do not forget the bindings. The Vector are very comfortable and also performs well.

If budget allows you will most likely learn faster on a P6 and some time later change to a Theory or similar.

Best luck and keep us updated on your progress!

The 2012 Theory blem is so very tempting at $140.. but with all the recommendations for a P6, and if I can learn faster on it, I think I will be getting a P6. I plan to pick up double Vectors as well.

BOS is the best! Thank you everyone for guiding me through my first ski purchase!

• Baller

I bought a 69" Senate 2 years ago and I love it. I loved it so much that I got my dad a 69" P6 last year and he loves it for both free-skiing and he has begun to learn the course on it. Even my nephew who probably weighs less than you loved his 69" P6 for free-skiing.

I might get some guys disagreeing with me, but I wouldn't hesitate to grab a 67" P6 at 140 lbs. Especially if you are a super beginner and you are going to be trying to run the course, you could probably start running the course at 24 mph on a ski this big with as small as you are. That will be a fun way to get into the course because you'll be able to see some success at 24 mph even though you haven't put in endless hours to become a high level skier yet.

If, however, you plan on free-skiing more, then the 65" Theory should be fine too, and you can just turn the speed up to 28 or 30 mph for free-skiing.

The P-6 is a great choice. We have the 67" version and love it. Works great for my son and I who are both 155 lbs, and my other son who's closer to 185lbs loves it at closer to 34 mph. We only free ski, but it definitely performs well and was great for the boys to learn on. Super easy to get up on too.

• Baller
Check with Adrenaline Watersports or Wiley's. They both have friendly, helpful and knowledgeable staff, and a very good selection of skis, both new and leftovers. My bud just did an order with Wiley's and I just did one with Adrenaline.