EP Stilleto

SailorDave17

Looking for some information on EP Skis, my brother had an EP Comp purchased in 94 I believe. .. it's what I learned to ski on. I just found an EP Stilleto for sale for about $75. I remember EP Skis being all over overtons in the 90's. I can't seem to find any info on EP Skis? Can anyone give me any information on EP skis. I will most likely be purchasing the stilleto (nostalgia has a lot to do with it) Just hoping to get any information about EP Skis...

• Baller
I don't know why, but my Stiletto weighed about 10 lbs. If it was in the lake it floated tip up and that barely out of the water. It was a John Reichart (sp?) cast off if anyone remembers him. That guy could ski...

• Baller
I was at a tournament and a friend of mine left his Stiletto in front of a van that was unloading tournament equipment. The guy with the van drove over the ski with no apparent damage other than the fin, which needed replacing. He skied on it for at least the rest of the season. Then a couple of weeks later my then-girlfriend was traveling and the airline snapped hers in two behind the back binding. Tough enough to get driven over, but not tough enough to withstand gate gorillas, I guess...

• Baller
Was a fantastic ski. I still have one in my ski room. The later ones black, pink and yellow were the ones that broke. I had one that broke in half and an attorney friend of mine bought it from me and took a deposition. He was representing a client in a lawsuit who had a very bad fracture of his leg due to a break of a Stilletto. I think the ones that were black with red and yellow were okay. I bought three of them back in the day from Lucky Lowe.

• Baller
Lucky came to a tournament of ours one time and had a pile of them (maybe 6 or 10 in a pile), he said he had to replace them when they broke down. I asked him how often they broke down and his reply was "every time I run 39 on one".

• Baller

From my foggy old memory, the first couple years were black with a pretty simple linear graphic on top, and those were the best years. Seemed like the 9100 when it came out. Quite a bit better than anything else I had skied on at the time. After they moved production, the guy that hand made them did not move with the company, and I did not hear anything good about them after that.

I jumped on a "newer" purple one at some point with adjustable fin box that was plastic and pretty much a piece of junk to work with as a fin tweaker. Adjustments were made with rubber mallet and yard stick....

• Baller
Methinks in the very beginning EP was an offshoot of Hart snow skis. And there were a number of people who swore by the Comp back in the day. I had a Stilleto, the purple one, a 67" and indeed I replaced the fin block with a shop made pair of Al blocks. The ski had an Al top skin, so the good news was the bindings stayed on with sheet metal screws. I liked the EP bindings of that era a lot, and used them on my jump and trick skis. It was stiff and real heavy by today's standards. For one that old, make sure the top is not separating from the fiberglass which by now is likely really brittle.

• Administrators
@cruznski EP was founded by Roger Teeter. He worked at various times with Deny Kidder and Herb O'Brien. I'm unaware of any significant influence from Hart

• Baller
@cruznski EP was started by Roger Teter, who had worked with Herb O'Brien in producing the first honeycomb skis prior to making EP a separate company. It was a few years later that EP was acquired by Hart. I was an EP dealer in the seventies. Roger can now be seen hawking his Teter Hang-ups inversion boots on tv.

• Baller
I started skiing the course on the Orange top Comp 1 and loved that ski. However, in the early 80s I had two EPs (I believe it was a Stilletto and an FX200) break in half under the front foot. The first one snapped somewhere between one ball and the 1st wake at 36 mph, 22 off. Left me with stitches and a nasty lump on my knee.

We just used my beautiful 1982 honeycomb Comp X2 today. The binding is still comfortable and everything is as a new except the rear plate fell fell off which I would love to replace. I have beat it up and it is dinged me on the head if you time and has the dance to prove it but the quality and colors or something to behold. now that I think about it it looks a lot like a Hart snow ski that I had for a few years. It is slow as hell but cuts wicked shaap.