The new Flextail

bbruzzese

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
The ability to tune the flex with shims is awesome. Guys shoving the ski around at 41 probably don't want as much flex as someone working on 32. So build the ski to work well for less aggressive skiers and give those that want it a simple way to tune. Not trying to speak for Dave, just my 2 cents

• Baller
@OB -okay so which part of what i wrote was ' inaccurate' ? cant be the price of the little shims cuz we dont know what that will be yet. every thing else, which i got from a friend the same day the flex tail launched seems pretty accurate to me.

• Baller

@OB -the ' beta ' shims may be metal for now but in a wet environment it makes more sense to use high density plastic. ' gorilla tape ' is sold at home depot but it's also marketed as an industrial tape and in the final version some kind of 3m vhb double-stick tape makes more sense too. and rumor on the street is a very skilled skier actually invented the whole thing and was supposed receive a royalty that hasn't been forthcoming.

the ' expensive ' part is just a guess but it could turn out you get the ski for free when you buy the $2k shim set. just sayin'

Got mine Friday. Stock settings, Connelly talons on Goode velcro. First set big smiles. Second set Post surgery ZO PB , 3@38. Surgery was 4 yrs ago. I ski pp at one site and ZO at other. This ski seems to minimize the ZO penalty. I found the hype on the Goode videos to be mostly accurate. Only negative is that it is the butt-ugliest ski I have owned. It is fuuuugly. Looks like half a combo pair somebody left in the sun for a few seasons.

I'm about to get my Flextail in about a week. I'm running a reflex front boot with carbon plate and RTP. I struggled for a season with the dual lock releasing on my off side with the powershells. How can I make sure I don't get release issues with my reflex without installing inserts?

I'm very excited to get on the Flextail!

I agree it looks just fine in pics. In real life, the graphics appear to have been painted on with a stencil, then left in the sun till they started to oxidize. Kind of a dull chalky finish. Don't really care. She's got a great personality and will do things the pretty girls won't. And, like you say, to each his own.

Good point @OB, truth in advertising. What's the blue one called? And, knowing Goode's penchant for weight savings, this is probably a lot lighter than the gorgeous clear coat over graphics over carbon weave on many other skis.

• Baller
@303Skier Right now I'm at 6.920, 2.449, 0.745, 29.75, 9deg, and some tabs. But I've tried the whole spectrum on fin and bindings, even ventrals and wing placement, and haven't settled on anything yet.

• Baller

First Impressions of the Goode Flextail 66.5"

I am transitioning from a 9900 mid-ride 65.25" that I have always liked, or at least ever since I installed black interloc that would actually adhere to the ski. The FT is a completely different ride. If you consciously try to turn with hips or by pushing the tail around (bad), it will screw you. Took me 8 passes to successfully run my normal opening line length, which is how long it took me to quit turning the ski the way I normally do. This ski turns sharply with no skier input. I think it will help me in my quest to break bad habits and improve my technique (don't really have a choice if I want to use this ski). I was running the 9900 with Powershells a full 1/2" forward of factory default. The new ski seems to break water at the front of the front binding, so will wait a few more sets before starting to tinker with adjustments. No tape adhesion issues with the first set, but Goode is still using the clear 250 tape, so expecting problems soon in our 90-95deg water. At which point I plan to try black 250 instead of the 400 I have been using (the 400 never releases, which has worked out well over the past 4 years).

By the way, I bought this ski 'for my wife' of 37 years, who has enjoyed ~45 years of waterskiing with no major injuries. Several of our ski buddies told us she needs her own ski (we always shared a ski because we are close enough to the same height/weight/shoe size). So we had a demo day with a pro skier and bought her the recommended ski and bindings. A month later she had a freakish 3 ball and ends up with 20x8mm fractures of the large bones above and below her front knee due to a wrenching partial release, along with a partially torn ACL. 6 weeks in a wheelchair. My motto is "if you break bones, never use that ski again" (which is how I wound up buying the 9900). Thus we have a new Flextail, and an almost new ski of a different brand for sale if anyone wants it. How could I in good conscience sell that ski to anyone? Bad boot design with high risk of serious injury. Guess I need to see if the manufacturer or dealer wants to buy it back for research purposes before I start whining about the brand and model.

@lathompson it may seem freakish to you, but if you research just a little on BOS you'll find an incredibly large number of ballers have busted up ankles, knees, shin bones due to contact with balls and no binding release. The PS you are in now are the culprit in many of these injuries, but almost every binding has hurt people. There are only two I'd put your wife in: OB4, which you can buy via this site, or a BOS poster gives away an upgrade for ps to anybody who got seriously injured.

• Supporting Member

@lathompson Thanks for the flextail info. I love reading people's experience with new tech.

Your wife has my greatest sympathy -- that sounds pretty horrible. But I think the conclusion you draw from it is not the right one. The ski has little-to-nothing to do with that type of injury. The one hope to save injury in that situation is the binding design and setup. With a little effort, any binding can be mounted to any ski, and I strongly recommend changing only one of {ski, bindings} at a time. A binding change actually takes more time to get used to than a ski change. If it's also a change of binding "type" (e.g. rubber, shell, sneaker-style), it can take even longer.

I'll second Cayman2's sentiment that the safest* options currently available are OB4 (when set up properly) or a Gatormodded single-plate system (Fogman or Powershell). Technically, @gator1 can no longer post here because he didn't know when to stop arguing with people who were wrong :smile:, but I'm more than happy to pass his contact info along to you in private message if you are interested.

*I always feel compelled to emphasize the obvious: No binding system is safe. If you want to never get hurt waterskiing, that's easy: Don't waterski. If you do want to waterski, then get the safest option that works for you (and more importantly your wife!)

• Baller

+1 on what Than said. I have broken an ankle skiing and it's no fun.

I will add Reflex to this list of "more safe" bindings. There is no perfect, but it has been excellent for my damaged ankle for 4 years now with multiple releases and no issues.

• Baller

@303Skier, the Goode spec page..... http://goode.com/techsupport-ws

You'll notice, for factory settings, the shorter skis are more shallow/long than the 67.75 which is more deep/short. I think, as the 'guys' tested more and more, shallow/long yeilded positive results. Those numbers were suggested by Dave to free the ski up out of toeside, which seems to help. I skied a set at 6.920/2.447 and then back to 7.764.2.504 and they were different but both skiable. I use a toepiece and reflex fairly close together.

I saw someone's post earlier about the FT regarding "less is more". Obviously, to run shortline you can't just tiptoe through the course and not exert some serious tension through the wakes, but the concept of not overcooking the turns and letting the ski turn on its own is starting to sink in.

• Baller

For the life of me I cannot make that ski work, Fin back and deep, fin long + shallow and forward, stock settings, bindings back, bindings forward, no where near my average at least 4-6 buoys off consistently...

Anyone want it? lol

That's weird. I count 14 new skis in my garage, going back to obrien competitor. Of the 14, 2 were great from the first ride: 9100 and the flex. On both I reeled out PB after PB. Really makes me wonder if you got a bad one or the ski just doesn't work for a certain style. I know I couldn't ride any of the HOs I bought.

• Supporting Member

@jayski Is it wrong that I'm kind of glad to see someone not succeed with this ski? It's REALLY not time for me to be changing skis, so all the talk of New Awesomeness can be a little annoying. Now I can just sit back and assume I'd be just like you and not be able to get it to work. Sour Grapes for the win!!

P.S. That's what the phrase Sour Grapes actually refers to: assuming something is no good because you can't have it. ("Those grapes are probably sour anyhow.") I feel likely recently people use it mean a general negative attitude, but to me it's really about a positive attitude, even if it means lying to yourself!

• Baller

@Than_Bogan you are fully in your right! I really wanted it to work but it just didn't pan out, not sure what the deal is but it was an effort with little positive outcome.

@Deanoski 66.75" / DFT .6945 / Length 6.846 tips / Depth 2.50 / 10 deg wing / bindings @ 29.25"

Kind of a misnomer to talk about sweet spot on this thing. Anywhere between your feet, point ol flexi at the opposite shore, say a prayer and lean on her. Most fun I've had in six years. It's a "sweet region". Or a "sweet Parrish". Or " sweet county". Or "sweet sixteen thru 28". Or "sweet sectional". Or a " sweet gerrymandered district". Mien got in himmel this is some fun shit right here boys.

• Baller

Got my flextail today 66.5. Took two sets. First set ran up the line and had a season PB of 3@35. Second set I was trying to find the sweet spot and didn't run my 32 but got deep. I am currently on Blue Vapor. I have some initial thoughts but I want a few more sets before I say anything.

One interesting note is that I measured the ski with my calipers and the numbers I came put with compared to the stock numbers were way off. My No.s DFT .772(flat) Depth 2.503 Length 6.791. As per Goode's website it should be DFT .745(slot) 2.475 6.860. Seems to be a significant difference even accounting for variances in calipers. Anyone know the amount of adjustment that you make for DFT when using a flat measurement vs a slot measurement?

I'll adjust the fin and see how it affects the ski.