All new 2016 Vapor

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
I've yet to get winded on this ski. It's just so effortless. I find now it's my hands that get too sore to hold on any longer, versus my normal gasping for air this early in my season. My wife is killing it as well. She noticed right away how easy it is to get up on too. A thousand thanks to @rossi and the Radar team for creating such a masterpiece. I'm hammered on Radar Koolaid:)

• Baller

I thought about posting this in the "Carrying the Handle" thread, however, this one seems more appropriate.

I recently jumped on a Vapor (from an XT) and I've decided to buy the Vapor. For a tail rider like myself I love the extra width in the tail of the Vapor- not saying that I shouldn't fix that - it just helps.

For me the Vapor is faster than the XT, but just as stable around the ball as the XT. And with the Vapor it seems that I can do more stupid things and still run the pass. After all does anyone buy a ski to run their easy passes? At least for me I buy a new ski to give me a fighting chance on my hardest pass. FWIW I reach my limit at blue (35).

My only complaint - (and here's where I'm going to paste @horton's comment from Carrying the Handle) -

"Typically slower skis are more stable and faster skis are looser at edge change. Skiers on faster skis generally find it more difficult to stay connected.

I think we all flinch when a ski is looser at edge change. Fast water/ Fast ski same feeling to some extent."

I've had to adapt and improve my skiing technique on the Vapor because at least for my skiing ability the edge change going into the ball on the Vapor is faster and not as well defined as the XT.

But man - when I do it right..........the Vapor rocks!

• Baller

I thought about posting this in the "Carrying the Handle" thread, however, this one seems more appropriate.

I recently jumped on a Vapor (from an XT) and I've decided to buy the Vapor. For a tail rider like myself I love the extra width in the tail of the Vapor- not saying that I shouldn't fix that - it just helps.

For me the Vapor is faster than the XT, but just as stable around the ball as the XT. And with the Vapor it seems that I can do more stupid things and still run the pass. After all does anyone buy a ski to run their easy passes? At least for me I buy a new ski to give me a fighting chance on my hardest pass. FWIW I reach my limit at blue (35).

My only complaint - (and here's where I'm going to paste @horton's comment from Carrying the Handle) -

"Typically slower skis are more stable and faster skis are looser at edge change. Skiers on faster skis generally find it more difficult to stay connected.

I think we all flinch when a ski is looser at edge change. Fast water/ Fast ski same feeling to some extent."

I've had to adapt and improve my skiing technique on the Vapor because at least for my skiing ability the edge change going into the ball on the Vapor is faster and not as well defined as the XT.

But man - when I do it right..........the Vapor rocks!

• Members
I also just switched from the XT to the Vapor. Along the same lines as "carrying the handle", I find the Vapor to be far less forgiving of pulling too long. I tend to get over aggressive and load/unload too hard or get lean locked. The XT would still allow for an ugly tip high pivot turn and a successful if unsightly complete pass. The Vapor doesn't rescue me from those mistakes. I also think I have gotten lost in the fin and binding moving/testing process. I ran 38 every set the first few days, but missed it 3 times in one set last Thurs and missed it all 3 rounds at a tournament last weekend held in perfect conditions. I think maybe I need to slot the rear holes in the Reflex plate to allow for less than 5/16" binding increments. Is there a consensus thought as to binding / fin placement for a 180lb RFF skier on a 67" who is trying to make 38 consistently and then maybe get past 3 at 39?

• Members
I also just switched from the XT to the Vapor. Along the same lines as "carrying the handle", I find the Vapor to be far less forgiving of pulling too long. I tend to get over aggressive and load/unload too hard or get lean locked. The XT would still allow for an ugly tip high pivot turn and a successful if unsightly complete pass. The Vapor doesn't rescue me from those mistakes. I also think I have gotten lost in the fin and binding moving/testing process. I ran 38 every set the first few days, but missed it 3 times in one set last Thurs and missed it all 3 rounds at a tournament last weekend held in perfect conditions. I think maybe I need to slot the rear holes in the Reflex plate to allow for less than 5/16" binding increments. Is there a consensus thought as to binding / fin placement for a 180lb RFF skier on a 67" who is trying to make 38 consistently and then maybe get past 3 at 39?

• Baller

Check your fin often at first. Mine took a few times to "settle in" and stay put. Seems to be very consistent now. Maybe your recent misses are due to some slight fin movement away from your last measured setting?

I'm on the Sequence plate, so I have a little more finite control of placement than a normal plate. But, if you want more... Mikro-just

• Baller

Check your fin often at first. Mine took a few times to "settle in" and stay put. Seems to be very consistent now. Maybe your recent misses are due to some slight fin movement away from your last measured setting?

I'm on the Sequence plate, so I have a little more finite control of placement than a normal plate. But, if you want more... Mikro-just

• Baller

brettmainer

Rossi's numbers are very close and should be good enough to get well started. If you are having problems I would pm him and maybe even send video.

I am coming from a Nano to the Vapor myself. I agree that if you want to be able to pull to long and get away with "ugly tip high pivot turn(s)" then the Nano/XT is the ski. After watching video of myself on the Nano and the Vapor it was apparent which ski looked like it performed better. I purposefully decided on the Vapor as I believed it would HELP ME DO THINGS RIGHT vs. ALLOW ME TO DO THINGS WRONG. (Sorry for the caps, but I wanted to emphasize the point) So far I believe that it is filling this bill very well.

The exact thing that you mention regarding pulling to long was a major factor and took some getting used to. On the Nano if I released early (as you should-See Terry Winter early edge change video) and made any mistake the ski would punish me. On the Vapor I feel that I can move the ski out earlier and very cleanly setting me up for a much more calm, level, and controlled turn. Now I still brain fart as much as the next guy, but the ski works when I do my part and does not punish me for minor mistakes.

For lakeaustinskier. I don't think the Vapor is loose feeling at the edge change so long as you are doing it right. It is "faster" so if you sit back on the tail (my downfall) it will feel that it accelerates out more than a "slow" ski like a Nano. However, if you stand in the middle of it the sweet spot is huge and the ski will not bite or drag like a "slow" ski may.

Lastly. When I was still trying to determine if I liked the ski well enough to commit to it I pulled up videos of pros on the Vapor. I did some frame by frame of me vs. Jason McClintock at the masters this year. Long story short is that the ski is awesome, but 50% of why I'm skiing better is mimicking what he is doing right vs. the stuff I've done wrong for so long. It's a journey...

• Baller

@mrjones and @brettmainer

I completely agree with your assessments about the long pull. For a skier of my level the edge change and tendency to long pull and roar into the ball are very much connected. I should have made that more clear in my post. In spite of exposing my flaws in these areas, in the long run the Vapor will make me a better skier since it has more upside than the XT.

• Baller
Just so you know, I'm not knocking the Nano/ET. My all time PB at 34 mph is on that Nano. It works as evidenced by a world record and many great skiers who skied (or still ski) on it. There are just different feels and strong suits that skis have. I was looking for something different and believe I have found it. Now to just fix myself!!

• Administrators
@MrJones I can not think of two skis that are more different that the Vapor and the N1 but I have the same high score on both. Very different experiences.

• Baller

@mrjones and @horton don't we all have pretty much the same scores on a number of skis now? Various Jobe's, KD's, D3's, Razor, Denali for me...I'm pretty sure if Horton gives me his Vapor (which he should before @Dirt steals it) I can do it on that ski, too. All very different experiences. I sure like my current stick...as for scores it remains to be seen as season progresses but lots of fun so far and I think lots of potential.

Tell ya what, Horton, I will send you a big pile of ribs if you send me that Vapor to try (UPS of course). I love inheriting "dialed in" skis. You can be my honorary brother (number 6). Hell, I'll even send you some top secret bench press routines. Think how buff you could be for your next unboxing video.

OK let Dirt steal it...I'm happy on my stick...but I'm pretty sure you won't get ribs or bench press routines in compensation when he takes your ski :D

Cool there are so many great skis out there, key is finding the one for each of us. For those rockin' a Vapor, rock on. I'm also totally cool with someone sending me a Rev6, or an ARC, or a GT in exchange for some amazing ribs...just make sure you dialed in settings first cuz I don't own a caliper (ok, I bought one recently but still don't know how to use it).

• Supporting Member

@acmx I can't imagine you'd have much trouble selling it after you decide you like the Denali even better :).

(I'm mostly being serious: This Vapor is so well-liked that I would have to think the secondary market is very strong. So trying it isn't a permanent commitment.)

• Baller
Well I will add to the hype. I skied my first tournament of the year last weekend. Let's just say that one of my three scores for my average is no longer from last summer. Got 2- 3 round tournaments this weekend and I suspect my average will change again. 16 Vapor rocks!

• Baller
@Than_Bogan ... There is more to this ski than hype! It truly is a different animal. The more I ride it, fine tune it, the better it gets. Before this season is over I will have the mother of all PB's.... Viva la MOASS

I've been skiing the 2016 vapor for less than a month. I'm not what I would consider an expert skier and would not have thought such a "high end" ski would be good for me--I'm skiing 30 mph and was only rarely making it through the course at 15 off. I tried a friend's 2015 Vapor and liked it. I think the 2016 is even a little better. Out of the box my skiing was better. Had a Radar theory which was much slower in the turns. I'm still getting my muscles ready for the course (water is just warming up in NH), but wanted to let all the 'less than experts' out there know that the ski could still be amazing for them. I have no regrets.

• Members

I could use some more help with mine. The video below shows my typical 38 on this ski. Early to two, carrying the handle pretty well, but the ski flattens approaching the ball and I get slack at 2. The overturn / head tilt at 1 is a standard problem of mine on every ski, but the slack out of the good side turn is unique to the Vapor. Suggestions?

• Baller
@brettmainer - for videos, you have to post it to YouTube, then copy and paste the link text (full URL) into the body of your post. The forum software will automatically replace your YouTube link text with an embedded video.

• Members

Thank you @ToddL

Assuming this video posts correctly, I was hoping to get feedback on what to do to get the ski to continue rolling out away from me as I approach 2. As with everything, there is no doubt that there is much the skier could have done better, but I believe there is some ski set up factor at work as well. I put my bindings back on the XT for the final round of the tournament and the approach to 2 ball and the resulting turn felt normal. Of course I still missed 38 anyways...for the 6th time in 6 tournament rides this year.

One thing that I did notice switching back to the XT for a ride was how much more work it was. When I dropped at the end, I was winded like I had skied an 8 ball course. The Vapor is definitely less work than the XT, I just need it to be more reliable on my onside.

• Members

I am more a fin babbler than a fin whisperer, but it does feel like the ski is rolling half way out, but then flattens and points straight at the ball half way through the reach. As a fin babbler, that seems like the fin is too deep. However, this is coming from someone who once road his Goode 9500 for 6 years without adjusting the fin.

• Baller

I'm finding that the warmer the water gets, the more patient I'm needing to be, and more slack I'm getting on my offside unless I'm in perfect form coming through the wakes from my on-side (rare occurrence) and able to make a nice, slow, deliberate reach and counter while feeling my feet swing out wide.

I'm at:

30 7/8

9 deg

Anyone know if Neveu is on a 69.5? Nowhere near the skier he is but he's as close to my body size and shape as there is in the pro ranks.

• Baller

I have skied the 16 Vapor for the last couple of weeks (thanks Brooks). After not skiing for the last 25 years, and having skied on a 1985 O'Brien TRC, I have to say the Vapor is the most confidence inspiring ski I have ever been on, it would take a lot for me to move away from that Vapor. You were right @eddie_roberts_jr. The first day I could barely get out of the water. 1 week later and 15' off is going to happen this week. Super stable through the wake. Impressive! My buddy Jake is ripping 22'off on it out of the box. Here is a photo of my buddy and I going out to ride the vapor early morning in Vermont55weh93f562z.jpg