All new 2016 Vapor

• Baller

Tried every combination...the damn notch in the rear of the fin either blocked the FD (couldn't get it less than 2.710 with the correct dft set using the rear set screw) or with the FD set, the rear set screw would push on the bottom of the 'notch' and throw the FD out....

I would take a photo, but i don't want to spend another hour 'tapping' it into place free hand..

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

I'm sure if there is an issue it will get worked out pretty quickly. There are usually a few things to change anytime something new if tried.

Until then I'll go back to my prior post about bindings. Everyone should own a drill and a Dremmel.

• Baller
I just set one up last night. I took the wing off and left fin in fin block and removed to see what was going on. It looks like the fin block stays clamped a little on the thinner fin. There was lots of room for the shallow settings tho. I backed the set screw for the dft and fin depth and gave it one wack with my rubber mallet. Bingo everything started great. Totally agree with @MrJones .

• Administrators
I have not seen this issue but lets not forget that only a few years ago not very many skiers ran a fin as shallow as 2.460 (except for maybe skiers on one specific brand). Today everyone seems to be exploring settings as shallow as 2.44 or shallower. The fin blades for were designed at time when that was a unthinkable. Now we may see a redesign of fins from all factories to accommodate the new shallower settings.

• Baller
My 69 didn't care to turn on the off-side but the on-side has always felt great. If you're at factory numbers, both Rossi and Rini are calling for increased DFT over factory. At least I know that I'm forward of where mine came from Snoqualmie.

• Baller

Boot at 31.0

6.930 tips

2.461 Depth

0.745 DFT

Wing 9

I was at 30.8 or so on boot, at 31.0 tonight sometimes ski would come around at one but sucks behind me immediately and I almost go out the front. The way the tip engages in that turn feels really odd, grabs all of the sudden, is very inconsistent in how that happens.

I'm trying 22 off at 33mph.

• Baller

@Chris Rossi

@thompjs I ended up bring my boots forward and Fin forward. Pretty much were horton ended up. Also running my wing at 8 degrees. I almost couldn't run a pass at 9 degrees, with 8 degrees I could carry a lot more speed out of the buoy. I'm running 22 and getting a few at 28.

• Baller

Anyone on Rini#s? Seems like most that post here are on or close to Rossi #.

Bill at Performance seem to only publish Rini #s for a factory setup still I don't see many claims to use them?

• Baller
This is a small sample size, but my wife loved hers once we took the wing off. Before that she could barely ski on it. Now she has increased her scores by two passes. It may be worth trying depending on whether or not you used a wing beforehand.

• Baller
@thompjs 6.930 is way small for length on this ski. 7 wing is way shallow on this ski. I think you are being led down the wrong path. Put on the numbers Rossi gave you and ski it a bit. Bet it will feel rather stuck at first. Then contact Rossi for any adjustments needed. Then I bet you will be golden.

• Baller

I'm on the 69.5" ski at 215 lbs and set to the numbers Rossi posted...stolen from when he offered those to @UWSkier or at least close to those numbers as I'm hardly a fin tuner. For me the offside is much "snappier" and is producing more angle out of the turn than onside. Though I'm not really complaining about the onside either. I'm recovering from bruised ribs and the last 2 weeks kept the speed at 32 and rope at -22 so I could keep skiing even though it was very painful. I literally didn't miss a ball. 12-14 passes each time out. I've never been more consistent on a ski in my life...at any speed or length.

Just today I finally upped the speed back to 34 and didn't miss a -28 but also didn't get too far at -32 which I had been making on occasion prior to the rib injury. I'm a believer that it's my body position making most of the difference between a great pass and not so great pass, not the fin settings.

• Baller
When is nationals? That is usually when we will see the new graphics from Radar for the Vapor, unless of course, one of our friends here at ballofspray like @eddie_roberts_jr is able to give us a sneak speak, which would be fitting considering the amount of attention the Radar ballers are providing to the ski.

I skied a couple sets with Chris LaPoint this week, wow what an awesome coach. I have tried Rossi, Rini, and KC. fin numbers, they all worked ok. As I got in the boat After the first set with CL , he said " I don't like your ski setup". He explained that for skiers over 170 lbs, long and shallow setting don't usually work very well. He said that bigger guys overpower the shallow fin and the ski flattens out off the second wake causing the the ski to lose direction. (go straight to the buoy) . CL did his magic and wow, much better direction and way more acceleration. I will post my new numbers tomorrow.

I highly recommend Chris LaPoint .

• Baller

@block I'm thinking other than juniors that most US male skiers are 170 lbs plus? I am finding that proper angle (not too much as the ski will allow too much) and keeping the handle is key on this ski.

Take too much and I'm hot/narrow and thankfully the ski still turns really tight. Take less and keep the handle, though, and I'm really placed in a nice/early spot at the right speed. Still running Rossi numbers for the moment. May try bindings back just a bit before messing with the fin as my bindings just forward of Rossi...easy experiment.

Went back to these numbers last night 67"

29 5/8

9 deg

For me these numbers feel like home. Feels and works great everywhere. The biggest thing I noticed was how well ski was casting out and how easy it was smearing or sliding through the turn. Definitely my happy place!!! Thanks @Chris Rossi and @SunTenAgain for the insight to move back to these settings!!

• Baller

@markchilcutt that's close to where I will be today. Binding was 29 7/8ths gonna go to 29 3/4 ths. I may try 5/8ths if this doesn't quite cut it or go less DFT as I'm at 0.750 there.

Put the Vapor on 35 off for the first time last night. The tip was engaging hard at 1,3,5 and it was taking more than I want...busted at the waist out of all off-side balls but was able to run it regardless. Longer than 35 felt great though 1,3,5 were super tight turns...just started stuffing tip at 35 off. Might get a chance to ski today and see how it feels.