Slightly more educated ramblings about the Flextail

Than_Bogan

• Supporting Member

So now I've actually seen a few, watched a few people ski on FT or N1FT, and talked with Dave Goode as well as several others. However, I have not skied on either myself.

I think my initial guesses about the "why" were pretty much on: near the apex, the lateral force is large and shapes the ski to follow the contour of the desired turn; at other points in the course there is very little lateral force on the tail so it is "inactive." I still regard this as total genius and have repeatedly slapped my forehead wondering how I didn't think of it.

I tried to flex it by hand and could not. It is designed to bend only under pretty significant force.

Watching @OB1 from the boat, I could see the Flextail can turn like no other before it. Pretty cool stuff. But frankly it looked like too much a lot of the time. Maybe we (meaning the skiers as a whole) need to adapt our technique to take full advantage of that previously-impossible turning capability? But I also found myself wondering if perhaps the best way to use this innovative technology is to basically optimize the snot out of everything except turning capability, and then stick a Flextail on it to make it also excel at that!?

Because of those thoughts, I am initially skeptical about the N1FT. I see the N1 as the greatest turning ski ever made (before the Flextail), so I feel it's a bit of a mismatch to add even more turning capability to that shape. I had some discussions with quite a few folks, including some who have ridden it and many whose names are well-known. Some tried to defend it; others seemed to think I was right. But that doesn't mean I am! Theory is fun, and is the key to coming up with new ideas to try out. But ultimately measurement is what matters, so I am greatly looking forward to more reports from the field!

• Baller

@Than_Bogan -i am not sure what you mean by ' take advantage of previously-impossible turning capability '. in a great article called ' the impossible line ' chris rossi explains why trying to over turn the ski to get more than about a 45 degree angle across course is a mistake and will eventually result in failure. if quickness of turn is the goal i've seen some great skiers turn their skis literally ' on a dime ' so the only advantage i can think of with a flex tail is that it might allow a skier to even out the turns between his on side and off side by blocking the on side flex with shims.

i think most of us dont need a tighter turn or greater angle -we need to improve our ability to *carry* our angle out bound past the second wake. thats the magic ski *i* want and if the flex tail can do *that* i'll take 2.

• Baller
The Nano 1 is an all time ski. The knock against it has been that it's difficult to hold width unless you really stay on the handle and connected, and that it is generally more "work". Like you I am interested to see how the FT versions differ from that. (Can't wait to ride one BTW)

• Baller

I've been told by a Goode pro skier that the nano 1FT carves a smoother turn than the regular flex tail.

He also said that it carried width like the xt

I'm assuming that it is the nano one shape but the xt rocker minus the asymmetric

Rocker.

Agree with what mbabiash said. Plus, I find that if I stuff the nose it blows the tail in a weird and cool way. Instead of popping loose then catching in a sudden jerk it just kind of slides loose, then spins around the nose. Little risk. I doubt they designed it to protect me when I do stupid things, but, since I do stupid things, nice it doesn't hurt me when I do.

• Baller
Come to think of it, I haven't blown out the tail either, as far as I can remember. With stock settings though, it would would finish toeside so hard it would stop...or turn into a let-go-or-die scenario heading back in to wakes.