How many 41s is it now?

Wish

• Baller

Older post from 2013. FB has been doing that lately, reminding you of older posts that got a lot of attention and asking if you'd like to share / repost it.

**Edit** @Wish with a sneaky recovery in his original post now makes me look silly. Kudos. As far as how many 41's now, I'd say you can't fit them all on your fingers and toes combined, but I'm not fact checking first.

• Baller
I recently did a clinic with Nate outside St. Louis (Lake of Dreams). Unfortunately I wasn't skiing well that day - but - what struck me the most about Nate was the 100% total complete confidence he has in his skiing ability. I guarantee that every time Nate Smith goes out and runs up the line he is 100% confident that he'll run the pass - even 41 and 43. At the clinic we had some dead time between skiers and on the spur of the moment the lake owner asked him to ski some passes for us. Five minutes later he's running up the line deep into 41 off - no prep time, no screwing around - just pure business. Based on recent threads about being stuck forever at a particular buoy count or being fearful of injury at a particular line length maybe the real problem might be between our ears (it is for me).

• Baller

By my count Nate has 77 scores in R/L events into 43. 13 scores of 6@41.

Note: Since 9/7/13 the date of his current WR Nate has skied in 139 R/L Rounds. Since his WR he has got 2@43 1 time the day after he set the WR and on 7/12/2015 he scored 1.5@43. These are the only two scores past 1@43 he has since the WR.

• Baller

Scores into 43@36mph

Skier # Year first ran into 43

Nate 77 - 2010

CP 44 - 2005

Will 8 - 2008

Freddie 6 - 2014

Mapple 4 - 1998

Travers 3 - 2012

Jamie 2 - 2003

Rodgers 2 - 1997

TGas 1 - 2009 *in a runoff does not count as an official score

Ben Favret 1 - 2002 - Boat Path Issue

I need to fact check myself again in these numbers, but they are pretty close

• Baller
I know Nate's completed 41 passes in practice is unbelievable. I just finished driving for him an hour ago at my lake (10 minutes from his home). He's been over 4 or 5 times in the last few weeks, and only once didn't run 41, and each time has been straight up the rope. He ran it today in a crazy tailwind!

• Baller

Now someone needs to put the ski to those numbers. Tricky with CP, but otherwise shouldn't be too difficult. Nate 77 - 2010 X5 z7?, Q45

CP 44 - 2005 obrien, Goode, HO?

Will 8 - 2008 A1

Freddie 6 - 2014

Mapple 4 - 1998 obrien______?

Travers 3 - 2012 ?

Jamie 2 - 2003 F1

Rodgers 2 - 1997 Goode?

• Baller
That list makes me realize how hard this silly sport is. Rodgers clears 41 almost 20 years ago and the record has only progressed by 2.5 buoys. And Rodgers and Mapple weren't using these new scientific rocket ship skis that are used today. That's some amazing skiing by those guys!

• Baller
@estrom and per the rules the buoy tolerance was larger when Andy & Jeff did it. Today the course is narrower by a small margin. Andy said that those few cm made a difference. @Edbrazil how much did the course change when the buoy tolerance was changed?

• Baller

@MattP Is that really true about Mapple only running it 4 times? I saw him do it 3 times in one single tournament at Princes around 2003/2004. I know he also did it at Greater Miami Ski Club. I know it's tough to get scores, especially going back a few years but I reckon he might have a few more.

I also saw Will Ashers first ever score of 1@43 at the British Nationals at Thorpe in 2008. It was the first 41off he'd ever run and he did it in grim conditions. My mind might be deceiving me but I think it was even raining a bit. He's a true Brit. That remains the best score ever in Europe and maybe even outside of the USA.

• Baller

@FWinter I believe Nate ran 1@43 in 2 of 3 rounds at the Calgary Pro Shootout last year. That is the record on Canadian water, and I don't think anyone has ever run 41 in Canada before or since. Fast and cold up here!

Canada being part of the commonwealth with the Queen on the money and all means you're next!

• Baller

@FWinter I could have gotten that number from 4 seperate tournamnts instead of rounds or that was only USA scores since they are easier to come by. Again I'll have to fact check myself.

If the rounds were not sanctioned as L/R im not going to waste my time tracking scores down. Different story if I was getting paid to track data...with the time I spend doing it I would be making some good side money.

Note: Sometimes H2H scores do not make scorebooks since there is a max amount of rounds that can go into a scorebook.

• Baller

By my count at 34mph

Andy Mapple - 6 times - 2014

Jeff Rogers - 5 times - 2012

*Frederic Halt - 1 time - 2014 - In a run off does not count as an official score

I see 2 scores for Mapple in M3 from 2002 2@43 & 4@43. These must be a mistake.

• Baller

Just taking @MattP 's original raw data, it is interesting to take the skier's first year as a way to count # of years capable of skiing into -43. Then, divide the total # of scores by the number of capable years as their "average" per year. The top three with that calculation are:

Nate,    77,  5yrs,  avg per yr: 15.40

Freddie, 6, 1yrs, avg per yr: 6.00

CP, 44, 10yrs, avg per yr: 4.40

So, that just confirms both Nate's domination, Freddie's rise to the top levels, and CP's consistency.

It would also be interesting to do the same type of analysis, but focusing on -41 off and above and only on the past 3 years. That might indicate more up-and-coming skiers on the horizon.

• Baller_
Would be interesting to know if anyone came close to that way back when few ran 39. How many 39s back then?. Was there a Nate S in terms of sheer number 39s run compared to the rest of the field or is he just a prodigy that has no comparison?