Is there a lesson in this image of Freddie Winter?

Horton

• Baller

What I see is a skier who is patient out of the turn, who has allowed the ski to travel longer in the turn so as to set a more aggressive ski angle out of the buoy, but knows that with this finish, no excess lean/leverage on the boat is necessary.

I have noticed this from time to time that many top level skiers just don't look like they are always having to lean super hard. It seems to me that when the skier is stacked and has set the most efficient path out of the buoy, the skier needs to only "ride" the line across to the other side.

I think this is also the case for a skier who maintains speed through the turn. Skiers who had to excessively shut down a ski coming into a buoy will tend to need to overly accelerate out of it. Thus, maintaining speed through the turn means less acceleration needed out of it.

I would guess that Freddie came into that turn with optimal speed, maintained that speed throughout, was patient and stayed in the turn longer, set an efficient cross course heading for that ski to take and thus, didn't need to force excessive lean on the boat/rope.

• Administrators

I'm honestly not sure what the message is but he was not late. This was Freddie skiing calmly an easy pass. Maybe it's just a strange picture but it sure seems to me that he is moving way in from the ball line before he adds load.

50 50 chance he will see this and proclaim I have no idea what I'm talking about

• Baller
To me it looks like he has his arms pulled in to his chest - not yet down to his hips for a great stack. At first I thought slack line management - BUT - the rope is taught (at least what we can see) in the picture. So, it seems that this is that out of the turn - transition into lean picture. One of those pictures that captures a moment - so maybe this is between the finish of the turn and the handle to the hip with proper alignment and stack.

• Baller

First of all I do not see the point at all, all I do see is how calm and relaxed Freddie is at this point, he is not trying to put the Hammer down, the other thing that stands out for me is that Freddie is not looking across the lake, like a lot of skiers, not sure if he is looking at the pole or ahead of the boat.

• Baller
I got to watch him from the boat a few times. Super nice guy. He was awesome on 2/4 and the turns on 1/3 were not always as clean. It looked like he just needed to get used to the colder water and shallow lake to dial-in that offside turn. In the last round against Nate he was looking really good. His one balls at 39 and 41 were awesome. What I learned was to be really patient even when things don't go exactly as planned. He looked solid all weekend and deserved to be in the final with Nate.

• Baller
I don't like stills because that moment lasted less than one tenth of a second. However, I see a guy who is on top of his ski and balanced with head and shoulders level. Good. Also, as it relates to adding load, I don't think the best skiers add load. They turn their ski, maintain their position, and let the boat pull them down the course. In other words, they create direction, the boat creates the load.

• Elite Skier

Honestly, I saw this picture originally, before it being posted here and was a little confused. Everything you guys have said about creating direction without unnecessary load is exactly what I like to do but I'm not sure this is it. The honest truth is that the ski I'm on is a little different to my old one (Boris is always developing) and I'd been on it only for 6 sets before the weekend. While I know the ski is superior to what I had before I still haven't worked it out fully, especially on my offside, as @bishop8950 said. This photo is just me having the ski a little behind me. I guess it was good I didn't start leaning hard or I'd have fallen pretty badly.

I had to make a decision on which ski to take this weekend and felt that the new one would suit me better even after only a few sets. I felt better every round as I got more and more confident on it and towards the end was really starting to get great angle both ways. The ski surprised me a few times with how much angle it generated without any effort on a few occasions. A bit more familiarity and I'll be doing well I think.

On another note I love it how this photo has been posted and no one has noticed in any of the otitis I'm wearing brand different gloves on each hand