A new Bible for fin tuners

Freddie Winter

• Baller

You can not carry a slot caliper and compare numbers with other skiers or factory suggested. You totally need one if you ride Goodes. I carry a Mitutoyio 8" to measure all fins and a slot caliper to measure Goode skis.

Slot caliper is very easy to use but gives different results than normal 8" caliper even when you measure length with tips.

If other manufacturers start giving numbers for slot caliper also, measuring would be much easier

• Baller
Alright, I don't have a Goode Ski and I don't want cheaply made, so a slot caliper is out. Come to think of it, this idea of a slot caliper seems a bit of a gimmick: why can't you use a normal caliper to take a depth measure, if the caliper comes with the depth stick on the right? The Mitutoyo ones have it, for instance. Also, is the Radar 8" Digital Slide Caliper any good? It sells for considerably less than the cheapest Mitutoyo...

• Baller

Whether you think the Goode slot calipers are cheaply made or not, they are super easy to use. I've never had much luck getting repeatable numbers for DFT any other way. The last few posts remind of what I used to tell people. If you want to duplicate stock fin numbers, you need to know how your ski manufacturer measures their ski's. Goode and D3 are good at showing you how they measure. It's then your job to measure the same way or convert their numbers to your numbers. If you use a different method then you need to make sure it's repeatable...none of this +0.002" off this time and -0.002" next time. Should be the exact same number every time IMO.

I thought the Goode caliper was massively overpriced for what looks like a Harbor Freight caliper and I didn't like the concept of measuring with the jaws instead of the tips. So I took a $10 caliper and cut a slot in it with a die grinder. Took 5 minutes, works like champ, and gives the same exact measurement every single time. Props to Goode for coming up with the idea. 8ytm1e5qn3pw.jpg

• Baller
@mad11 Funny you should ask. It wasn't too difficult actually. It wouldn't bring a machinist joy but the cutting wheel helps keep it fairly straight. The one thing I did that was less than ideal is make the slot a bit too wide so I have to twist the calipers ever so slightly to one side or I might get a 0.001" variance. As long as I twist the caliper the same way, the number is always the same and 0.011" (top of my head) different from DFT head measurements.

@greghayes I have retired and gave up on the website for EZ Fintool as it won't support the expense. I do still have some of them available if you or anyone else is interested. Just pm me or email me at mtjb48 at Yahoo dot com.

Terry Bandel

@skijay I received an email that my order was shipped on the 8th of Jan

But I still have not received my copy.

I Sent you a couple of emails but have had no response.

If you could get back to me that would, be great

Regards

Rob

• Baller

The post office quotes 4-6 weeks for surface deliveries to overseas places like Australia and Great Britain, but as @RAK said, his took 60 days. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about the post office's performance.

All I can do is one of two things: a) I can do what most retailers do and not sell internationally, or b) I can continue to do a lot of begging forgiveness over something completely out of my control. I choose "b" and will continue to ship globally.

I have changed my website to read "6-9 weeks" for overseas surface deliveries, and all orders will continue to be shipped within one day of their receipt.

Many thanks for the enthusiastic support for this project. All the positive feedback has been deeply appreciated.

• Baller
Mine took a couple of weeks from Canada to Southern US. @SkiJay Not sure what the logistics would be for you but USPS has flat rate Priority international that are reasonable and made it to most countries in around week. Used it all the time in my business.

• Baller
Hi all, first time poster here. I just got my copy from Shuswap ski and board and super excited to read this. I have been a long time water skier but now wanting to ski the course. All the questions I have about ski settings will now be understood. This book is very well written, a big round of applause to @skijay for all the hard work put into this. Cool to see this book coming out of Alberta! hope to be able to meet one day.

• Baller

Just in case you're unaware @Sxr_nathan, you should know that you are toying with the crack cocain of the water sports world.

The first time you ski out the exit gate of a course, you'll feel like just one speed faster or one line-length shorter will be all you need to achieve nirvana. But no matter how many of these milestones you achieve, this insidious need will NEVER be satisfied. And now that you've unwittingly joined BallOfSpray, you are surrounded with enablers.

• Baller

OMG @Fehlindra! The book took 10 weeks to get to you in Sweden!?!

I actually phoned the post office to see why so long, and the idiot I got insisted that it only takes 4 - 6 weeks. No matter how many times I explained how long it is actually taking, he disagreed and insisted it only takes 4 - 6 weeks. By the time I gave up, I couldn't tell if he was the most devoted employee ever, or displaying an otherwise unemployable level of stupidity!

In any case, I'm glad it finally arrived, and thank you for your kind review. I had to look up "bravura," before I realized how kind it was! Apparently, I need to come to Sweden to improve my English! Thanks Buddy!

• Baller
I have been skiing since I was 5 years old and skiing has always been that thing that can wipe all the stress that I am carrying away with the wake. After years of asking me to come to Flordia, my buddy finely got me to come down to Rini's school this fall and take my skiing to a new level. Skied the course for the first time and have my PB of 3 at 15. Can't remember what speed I was being pulled at? Ever since I have been wanting to get back on the water. Trying to figure out how I can make it back down this spring, this sinking CND is killing us.

• Baller
@skijay what a well done book. I knew enough about ski set up to get my equipment close enough. But I had several questions about the black box and they were addressed in the book! I look forward to revisiting my setups in the spring armed with some fresh ideas and understandings. As @horton said, you did a service for the sport

• Baller
Finally got mine, it arrived yesterday at the office. Thanks Jay. Started reading last night and came across at the remedies for the off-side turn (posted also in this thread). Decreasing fin depth looks that it is contradictory to what the Adam's describe under the assymetric fin system where its stated that heel side (on-side) turns benefit from a decreased fin depth compared to the toe side turns (off-side). Have I misunderstood something. Please give feedback Jay or any of the Adam's.

• Supporting Member

I would characterize Jay's approach as trying to get AWAY from "off-side turn remedies" as the rhetoric, and instead to understand all the various causes and effects.

The asymmetric fin is not really a remedy either, but it may allow you to use other fin settings that -- without it -- would have made one side great but caused trouble on the other side. It basically gives you more latitude in your tuning.

• Baller

Glad to hear your book has arrived @Stathis Ventouris I'm tied up for the next couple of days so can't get into this to deeply right now. But I feel very strongly about fin depth adjustments—as in never adjust fin depth (FD), unless specifically for roll-resistance.

Using FD to adjust support at the tail works, but it is a really messy adjustment. It affects three ski behaviors at the same time. In addition to adjusting tail support (smear), FD adjustments also affect tip-sensitivity a lot, and roll-resistance a little. I blame the use of FD adjustments for the lion's share of the confusion surrounding fin-tuning in general. LE-neutral DFT adjustments (DFT changes that don't move the location of the fin's leading edge (LE)) are the only way to isolate tail-support/smear changes.

@Than_Bogan is correct in saying that I'm against tuning for the on-side if it means compromising the ski's setup for the off-side. That said, the asymmetric fin setup the Adams are describing is a very interesting approach. It can adjust on-side smear without changing/compromising the off-side setup. How often do we get to eat our cake and have it too?!

• Baller

8ihzy36kpyhy.png

There are still a couple of spots left if anyone wants to spend a week dialing-in a superb setup prior to tournament season, experience the difference between long/shallow and short/deep fin setups, and to thoroughly understand custom ski-tuning in general.