Shorty Wetsuit Leg Catching Water on Starts

gregy

• Baller
My rear leg has about a gallon of water after every deep water start. Its a Camaro Blacktec. Anyone else having this problem? Maybe my puny legs. I was think of using a thicker neoprene wrap over it. Luckily our lake has enough setup so I can dump the water and readjust.

• Baller
Try a smaller size. I'm 6'3" and 170 lbs. with chicken legs. I have the BlackTec full and shorty in Large. The size chart indicates XL or XXL for everything other than weight. As you mentioned they are very stretchy so try the next smaller size. Robby's Ski Shop BOS advertiser, @waterskigirl can help you get the right fit.

• Baller
Try slower pull-outs. I used to like to get ripped out of the water as fast as possible and suffered from BWS (ballooning wet-suit syndrome). I have found in the past year that slower pullouts reduce the BWS effect and reduces the need for shorts adjustment before entering the course. I do have a Camaro Titanium shorty and haven't had a problem with it ballooning.

• Baller
back in the day when shorties were more common at tournaments i saw many where the owner had punched a series of small vent holes at the back of the legs a couple of inches above the bottom edge. the edge would get ballooned out on a start and fill with water but as soon as the upper leg was out of the water the elastic nature of the wetsuit material would quickly force the trapped water back out the vent holes. i never tried it but i saw so many of them i know it must have been effective.

• Baller
As simple or funny as it sounds, you need to stop the parachute effect while coming out. A friend was using new ski trunks this year and getting the water bucketing, and it ended up straining his piriformis muscle (tiny muscle in your butt and can impact sciatic nerves) and it impacted his walking and standing. He had to stop skiing and is on rehab. Once you mess this little muscle up, it is a long recovery.