Knowing what you know now, what would you have done differently?

Keukaskier

• Baller_

I didn't start course skiing until I was 25. I took some lessons at that time, but didn't devote any effort to really find a site to practice on.

I wish I would have applied for a course permit on our public lake back then and spent the time to put in a good, anchored, permanent course with sub-buoys. I spent a lot of summers just free skiing and wasted that opportunity. I also should have reserved more time and money to continue the lessons.

Take lessons, find a course you can use regularly, dedicate some effort to getting some quality time on the water with a decent boat. I never had a problem waking up early enough to get the glass water and get the skiing done to leave the rest of the day for family, etc. But, I never spent that time on the course.

So, the one thing I would do differently is commit to a consistent amount of time actually skiing a course.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Get the family next door to build their ski jump wider, as in 12' vs. 8', about 1952. And,

invented the double cut. Then, I would have been the first to jump 100' at the 1954

Nationals on my home lake, in Jr. Boys! Before they did it in Men at the tournament.

Now, if I can just find a DeLorean with a flux capacitor....

• Baller
I would have focused on the one thing that yielded the biggest improvement in my skiing until I got it right and pounded it into muscle memory before focusing on the next thing.....early on in the course, things are happening too fast to try and focus on several problems....that one thing from long line to 22 for me was maintaining a stacked position....

• Baller

Things have change so much from when i started. There is an endless supply of videos of professionals skiing on Youtube. We had nothing close to that when I started. Study those.

1) Coaching is good.

2) Video your own skiing and studying it is just as important. There are professional coaches that do video coaching and it can be really helpful. You never look as good as you feel so just expect that.

3) The GUT stuff is great. I worked on being more normal to the ski as proposed in the latest GUT and I was feeling less effort than before.

3) To me the number one thing that I wish I been told years ago and now only realizing. Slalom is all about timing. I've spent much of my skiing career chasing the boat which never allowed me to properly complete a turn and get angle.

• Baller
I moved to the Houston area in 1988 and immediately started free skiing on the public lakes and rivers in the area. In 1994 a new ski community was developed and I didn't even consider buying a lot out there. Looking back on it now, it would have been tight, but we could have afforded to purchase out there and that would have given me access to other great skiers to ski with. It took another 10 years before another community was developed in an area I wanted to own property. Waterskiing hasn't been the same since. Everyday at home feels like summer camp.

• Baller

1) I had virtually zero proper instruction (it was the 70's...we know so much more now). It was about big turns and big spray. I would have benefited from the knowledge of how important the stack is, and how important that spray-to-centerline zone is. I can say though, that I soon figured out I couldn't have those big turns and spray without speed and width...which requires a strong angle/pull/lean/etc through the wake.

2) A strong 2nd would be the importance of staying connected to the handle late rather than releasing early to slow down and sneak up on the ball.

3) It was all about generating maximum angle and speed right out of the bouy and slowing down as much as possible on the other side. Conservation of speed and momentum? Huh? LOL

Geez, I still struggle to de-program those habits formed from the early days. I didn't get trustworthy or valuable advise and coaching until just a couple/few years ago.

• Baller

Don't laugh, but my first passes through a course were with double handles! It was a pain converting to a Proline single handle, but, long term that was probably the best change that I made out of the gate.

The other big thing would be to NOT arm ski. We thought you had to pull the line in and tuck it. I hit a wall at 32 off at 36mph using this "technique". Proper leverage position was an epiphany!

• Baller
COM and a strong pulling position. I started sking in a course when I was 40. 15+ years ago. With muscle and fitness I used to get to training PB 1 @38 with majority of 32's and some 35's. With age the muscle/strength ratio cant beat good form. I should of put more emphasis on proper pulling position behind the boat. I took last year off with no tournaments just to work and improve on pulling position. 3 weeks before my seasons starts. Target fIrst ski day March 7.

• Baller
@ski6jones: My best coaching was this last summer from Makayla H. I have had several coaching days in previous years from others. Makayla identified my lack of stack issue very concisely with a plan on how to fix. It was worth while having a 34mph skier coach vs a 36mph skier trying to coach a 34mph skier. We will resume coaching in the spring once ski muscles are back in shape. I need to have my last lesson plan drilled in before our next lesson occurs.

• Baller
I would have stayed skiing the course and taken the opportunities offered instead of taking time away from skiing to rodeo, and other silly things. Didn't realize what I was missing till I got back into it after 5 or 6 years away from it. Now having my kids enthusiastic about the sport, getting to spend that extra time with them doing what we love.