Handles

Jduperou

• Baller_

I use a 12" radius .970 dia. Spectra In Tow with no fancy stuff. I then after market an arm guard- style product. Even with Kevlar gloves, the handle lasts a long time.

Like anything, the better you care for it, the longer it will last. Don't leave it lying in the sun. Don't get suntan lotion or bilge oil on it. Keep it out of the prop. That kind of stuff.

Handle diameter is something to consider, and it can be challenging to choose without going to the ski shop or trying out your friends' handles. There is no right or wrong, though some folks think the narrow handles are easier to hold while wider handles are easier on your elbows. Radius (bent) handles are also thought to be better for the elbows.

Handle length is also a choice between 12" and 13". Again, it is a matter of personal preference, but "big" guys often prefer the 13" as the extra room on the handle affords more room to get your chest between your arms.

The other options, like finger guards and a plastic coating on the line to guard against wear from the ski edge during deep water starts, all serve a purpose but to me just adds weight and clutter. Some device to keep your head from going through the handle V is a good idea, especially with a 13" handle. In NY, guards are required at most tournaments.

Masterline also makes a fine product. ML offers some custom features like engraving your name on the handle. You won't go wrong choosing either.

Lpskier

• Baller
In years past I had the plastic put on my spectra In-Tow handles, but this year decided to try it without. Brenda said, she was glad I was going that route. It is nice knowing that she wants her skiers to have the best product and experience, not the few extra bucks for the add-ons.

• Baller
The real reason for using spectra for handles isn't weight or strength. It's because spectra is thin and makes a smaller knot when attached to a ski rope. This makes the rope a tiny bit longer without making the handle illegal when measured.