Who knew? K2 was in the Water Ski Business?

Hallpass

• Baller
i knew. it was actually part of a ' feud ' between herb obrien and k2 in which herb tooled up to manufacturer a rear entry snow ski boot to compete with a similar k2 ski boot. k2 didn't like that and herb didn't like them building fiber glass water skis but i'm not sure who fired the first shot. neither product succeeded in the market place. early 70's i think.

• Baller

@oldjeep At that time, K2 skis were excellent. My K2 Three snow skis made me a good skier. A while later, Bode Miller rode the K2 Four as the first shaped ski to World Cup fame. The Coombas from a couple years ago really rocked. K2 makes quality performance skis.

And K2 owns Full Tilt - the most innovative boot company now. And they use Intuition liners!

However, no more K2 snow skis for me now. I'm loving my Goode snow skis.

Eric

• Baller

@eleeski All I remember of 80's and 90's k2 skis was sending them back constantly for delaminated tips. And the pair of apache recons that i tried out last year were built so poorly that the binding screws pulled out.

K2 hasn't made a race ski in years because body aside, nobody would buy what they were selling.

Lol on full tilt being innovative. They reproduced a Raichle flexon boot from the eighties.

• Baller_

@oldjeep I think Phil and Steve Mahre might disagree with you.

@dvskier I had a pair of 5500's with Saloman 505 bindings. Great skis.

Now, if you want to talk about truly great skis, let's talk about VR17's and LaCroix.

#iskiconnelly

Lpskier

• Baller

Of course, we can also dig deeper into the past. Like Jean Vuarnet winning the 1960

Olympic Downhill at Squaw Valley on metal skis for the first time. Mais Oui. That course

did not feature a lot of technical challenge. I know, since I've skied recreationally on it.

One key Austian that I knew said they missed the wax, which would have been critical.

Vuarnet also was using the "egg" position, or a newer version of the downhill tuck.

• Baller

Well, thing to remember is that Olympic racers don't race on anything resembling production skis. They may say a familiar name on them, but they are not what you buy in the store. Most of the time they quick take away the race skis and hand them a production model as soon as they finish the race.

I used to get K2 pro-form and even free sometimes in college and finally just stopped using them because you couldn't keep a set of KVC or EIS together for more than a month.

• Baller

@lpskier I always found the Lacroixs kind of fragile. I had a couple of pairs in the late 80s when I was working in a shop and they skied well but never lasted for me.

I did like K2s back then had some VO Slaloms, GS Electras and a pair of KVCs that I loved. I was a big Volkl and Atomic fan back then also.

• Baller

My first 'real' pair of skis when I was a kid was a set of K2 KVC Comps. I loved those skis and kept them around in case one day I could figure out what to do with them.

For my birthday my wife did a recreation of a photo I saw at Sunday River. I told her how much I loved it...and she asked...now can we get rid of them? :)

28471626_10157871373657524_8003848149580

• Baller
Saw one or two of those old things under the ramp for one of the chairlifts at White Pass, back when I worked for my season pass up there in the summer. I think the twins skied on them at one point. But at this point, in the late 70's to very early 80's, they were just tossed under the lift.

• Baller
@oldjeep I have a race stock set of VO's ordered through a buddy whose brothers may have been olympians, which were way too stiff for me, though I could handle a "normal" pair of VO's just fine. These ones had the pink and grey KVC top, as that was what the company was selling then. But these were definitely very stout VO's, with the massively thick all foam with tons of fiberglass construction, and split steel edges. I still have them in a shed, with the MRR's on them. I keep threatening to bring them out in for some goofy day spring skiing, but am a little concerned I might hurt myself. ;)

• Baller
@sunvalleylaw nostalgia is fun for a run or 2 and then it sinks in how much better todays skis are. I had a set of old 205 atomic race stock slaloms that i took out for a few runs a few years ago. Found out that i was incapable of making them turn any more, turned them into shot skis

• Baller
@oldjeep , I have saved enough skis of the ones I really liked over the years that I am making an adirondack chair out of them. Just need to get to the hardware store and get a blade that cuts metal. There will be some Elans in there (my old twin tips), maybe some old rossis (turn of the century slaloms, bright yellow), my Elan boomerangs (finally dead powder skis, pictured in my avatar pic), mebbe some old Heads, Oh, and a pair of RD Zero G slalom skis that were Elans in drag, with a made in yugoslavia sticker on them. And maybe my K2 V's. I can't bring myself to cut up the old VO's. Plus, they were foam with no metal, and I am not sure how well they will hold up as chair lumber. If I could figure out a way to work my old Duvall slalom in there, I would. But can't think of how that would work.

• Baller_
@mmadore21 Don't ride that POS. I ruined my front ankle on that ski about 48 years ago and am semi-crippled as a result, needing either ankle replacement or fusion. The ski is very unstable and unpredictable. Do yourself a favor and shoot it with a silver bullet.

Lpskier