Skier looking for work, and probably a ski partner

RazorRoss3

• Baller

Hi Ballers, I've been out of college for a year now and have been working mostly finance related contract jobs so far. The downside of these is the pay isn't so hot, there are no benefits, and job security is zero. I'm declining to mention upsides because they're relatively hard to see.

I've been applying like mad lately looking for positions in corporate finance and/or the investment industry and thought hey, maybe one of the Ballers know of/has heard of something and could point me in the right direction.

In addition, I'm not the worst ski partner in the world, I regularly pull skiers who run deep/out of -38 so I'm a pretty solid driver and decent at giving out a few pointers when asked so if I end up in you're neighborhood and your usual ski pals are busy you could always give me a call ;)

I've also earned a BOS panda so that has to be worth something right?

I'd be greatly appreciative of any leads that anyone throws my way.

Thanks,

Mitch

• Baller
@mopowpow agree Des Moines from what I read is booming in the financial and insurance industries. Lots of growth, lots of youth...and I will always have a special place in my heart for Dream Lake Estates, Pickle Farm and Clearwater...skied tourneys at all of 'em.

• Baller

I'll have to look into Des Moines and Charlotte.

@mopowpow, I skier really well at dream lakes about 8 years ago, ran my first ever tournament 36 mph 15 off pass and got my first tournament look at -22. Ever since then I seem to turn into a horrible skier every time I set foot in Ames. In 8 collegiate tournaments at the site I never ran -28. Maybe it's because I skier for the Hawkeyes?

@gcam4, Charlotte would certainly accomplish my "get out Minnesota" goal so I'm certainly going to look at that.

Thanks to both of you.

@RazorRoss3, it was obviously the fact that you were a hawkeye! Could also have been all the partying?? Des Moines does have a strong financial base. Wells Fargo and Principal are the big ones. I used to work at the Federal Home Loan Bank, they just expanded with a merger with the Seattle bank. The only problem with Dream Lake Estates is the wind.

• Baller

@mopowpow and the shallow water can cause some unusual ski behavior at the buoy. And the water freezes in the winter, although that's a problem throughout our lovely Midwest states ;)

But it's probably just the Hawkeye bibs I was always wearing

If considering a move to the Charlotte area, I would recommend looking for a home in Fort Mill, SC. A bunch of really nice people and neighborhoods still being built. I'm not sure about job opportunities (banking is big like @gcam4 said), but options are plentiful due to Charlotte being nearby. As far as skiing, Lake Wylie has some nice spots and a slalom ski course.

• Baller

Mitch, give me a PM/text/call when you get a chance. I live out west of the cities in Minnetonka and hit the course 2-3 times a week. Always looking for more ski partners. As a bonus I was recently an unemployed college grad. We can bond over that for awhile.

While I cannot offer you work I'd love to give you some pulls and get to know another baller.

Brennan

612-532-8553

• Baller
@RazorRoss3 I would have to agree with @lantley. If you work in the financial sector of Charlotte, somewhere on the Southside of would be ideal which would be something like Fort Mill. I've never been on Lake Wylie, but I know they have at least one course very close to 74 and 485. If you decide to move down, let me know we're currently looking to buy on the north side of town on a another lake. I sure could use some pointers!

• Baller
Good Luck man. Finding a job is tough out of college. They are defiantly not handed out. Looking for a job may be the most discouraging thing. Sending so many resumes out and alot of companies wont even send an email back declining you. Stick with it and be open to different positions and it will happen.

In addition, the course I ski on is near Windjammer Beach Park. They also have a show ski team. The drive from Fort Mill to Charlotte takes about 30 minutes on average (depending on what part of Charlotte and traffic due to time).

• Baller
There's building of all types going on in Austin Tx area. Must be some jobs associated with it. We have an affordable lease lake on the north side of town. I didn't miss a week last winter skiing. Couple of my friends have recently gotten jobs in the Charlotte area sounds like its doing well.

• Baller

@Roger, I do have a resume, if you have a use for it I would gladly email/pm it to you.

@Richarddoane, it would be fun to get back out that way, I won't lie. Although last time I was there I think I might have timed the only 3 day stretch of no rain the state has seen in the last 1000 years ;)

I'll definitely take a peak out that way although as far as making the cash prize I'll have to see what kind of time I can take, contractors don't get benefits like PTO so if I take a day I lose that day's pay.

• Baller

Will do @Roger! I'll give it a try tonight (don't have a copy on the work computer) worst case I'll be able to copy/paste it and with any luck the formatting will hold. Thank you for the help!

Thanks to everyone who has posted in this discussion, it has been very helpful.