Ankle mobility

gcam4

• Baller

So for several years I have struggled to get on the front of my ski and I instead ride the back a tremendous amount. I am really starting to wonder if my ankle mobility could be a reason for this. Another thing I am thinking that could be leading to this is that I use fogmans because of 2 previous broken ankles while skiing. I do struggle at the gym while squatting and after doing some net research, I believe my ankles could be some of the problem. So does anyone have any pointers to help me get more on the front of my ski? Or, in gaining mobility?

Fwiw, I just free ski, but hope to get back on the course soon. My wife and I contemplated getting some lessons this summer but instead have decided to save as much money as possible for our first house, hopefully a lakehouse.

Thanks

• Baller
My ankle and calf are just fine and I struggle with getting on the front of the ski. I think its a comfort thing. Being back is a comfortable defensive position. I have seen a few people lift their heels after ankle injuries to help get forward.

Get a foam roller and use it on your calves. lay roller on the floor, rest 1 calf on roller, other leg crossed over bottom leg for more pressure, Roll the length of your calf, outside, and inside. If you feel a tight spot, hold in that area until it releases (this can be painful). Stretch your calves when done.

• Baller

@OldboyII I always stretch before I squat and it has done little. I guess I need to be much more diligent throughout the day.

@gregy what do you mean by lifting their heels? Running a toe plate and just lifting it or are you talking binding setup?

@mopowpow I will start working on my calf area some. I will say I don't feel any issues in day to day life. Nothing hurts or feels tight necessarily. I have rolled my calf in the past and don't ever remember getting a release.

• Baller

Actual putting a spacer or wedge under the plate or under the heel inside the boot. I have a 3/16" spacer under may rear heel with my Reflex R-style and I still feel my heel lift up at times, specially in my gate glide.

What kind of boot set up do you use? A lot of skiers are going to less restrictive rear setup, like rear toe pieces, to allow them to move forward more freely. Goode has a double boot set up that is spring loaded and allows you to lift your heel quite a lot.

• Baller
@gcam4 - There was a guy around our lake who milled an aluminium wedge that would allow a skier to mount the rear binding tlited 1 inch off the ski in the back of the rear plate. I've see a couple of similar approaches using varying methods.

• Baller

@gregy I use fogmans so that limits my ability to change things. I want to upgrade but it's not in our budget right now. Next year will be different though! I can probably add something to the inside of the boot though.

@ToddL my binding setup dictates what I can do. I will think about how I can do something to try a wedge.

@mrtoueye nice place, unfortunately I live in Charlotte NC

@OldboyII I will have to think about that. Maybe @Horton can comment?

• Baller
I had struggled with this in the past and with a slight adjustment of binding and changing my body position it was resolved fairly quick, and they weren't uncomfortable changes just simple. I always thought I was standing straight and level over my ski when in fact I wasn't.

• Baller

gcam4

Disclaimer ))

I am trying to find that thread, but cannot.

To be on the safe side I have to say I do remember if it was about the heel wedge but not 100% sure which foot.

Anyway simple physics tells if you ride with rear heel lifted from ski surface and somehow put heel in contact with ski by means of wedge, back leg will put more pressure on ski tail.

• Baller

@DmaxJC_ski - thanks for the encouragement, I will keep working on it.

@OldboyII - I know I don't lift my heel now, because of my binding setup. I still have to think about the physics aspect some more...

• Baller
I'm just a weekend warrior, but I believe simple things like keeping your hands down, slight bend of your forward knee/ pressure and standing proud for lack of better words, will help. As a free skier for a lot of years and skiing with lots of same type guys I notice that they want to ride the back of the ski, skiing slower and deeper in the water, kind of a security blanket, i sometimes find myself doing this, I look at it like I don't trust my ski to hold the edge in the turns when in fact it turns way better and faster.

• Administrators

@OldboyII I sure hope I did not say that. Fact is if you add a wedge under one binding you are putting that leg in a weaker state and into a awkward knee bend. Unless you have a real orthopedic injury I would NEVER recommend any wedge under bindings.

If a wedge lefts your back heel - I would bet your back leg is bent more than it was before and your hips are actually farther back. This will pressure the back of the ski more because you are falling back on the ski.

The easiest way get your weight centered is with both legs (knees and ankles) equally bent or equally straight. You want the power of the boat to go through both feet. If your feet are not flat on the ski you are not nearly as powerful or stable.

Clear as mud?