Left Palm up ... do I try to switch or no ?

Glydon

• Baller
Turning 46 next week , mostly free skier with a little bit of slalom course time. 22 off @ 36 mph. @Than_Bogan just made me realize I may be ski-ing with the "incorrect" palm up. I am LFF and after watching video just discovered I have my left palm up. Skied with Kyle Eade at Ski Fluid and he never mentioned making the correction . So my question is , after 30 years of skiing this way do I make the switch ? Oh and btw I think I may of tried to change before and switched back subconsciously???

• Baller

the short answer is yes, it is worth it to switch.

the long answer is despite being strange the first few times it is more ergonomic for your body to grip the "correct" way and will make the release, reach, connection and pull all feel much better once you get over the initial bump of reprograming your brain for it. @Razorskier1 made the switch about 8 years ago now after skiing with CP for a day and he hasn't looked back. He had been skiing with the "wrong" grip forever but made the change in his 40's and is skiing meaningfully higher scores and with much higher technical quality today (not strictly due to the grip switch but it does play a factor)

I agree, switch to correct grip. What helped me to not over think it was, when you're gripping the handle with both palms down, you're already half way there. Then, just complete the switch, and you will get used to it, and enjoy the benefits in no time.

• Baller

No.

If you are lefty I would stay backward on the grip. Most lefty skiers are not nearly as balanced/even in their leans and turns as RFF skiers. Most people are right handed. Being a lefty and right handed it's very easy to over turn and over lean out of 1-3-5. That then screws up 2-4-6. I'd stay where you are.

• Baller
@Glydon , I too am LFF and had skied with the wrong grip for years not knowing, then a buddy of mine noticed and I made the switch, yes it feels weird at first and to this day I do my deep water start with the reverse grip and then switch when I get up. DO IT, it completely transformed my offside pull, much more comfortable and leveraged.

• Baller
Thanks for all the comments @MrJones your the odd man out it seems BUT I do recognize what you are saying AND I guess since I bat right (right palm up) Golf Right (right palm up) why should my ski grip be any different. This being said I am going to as you all suggested try it out. If my skiing suffers I can revert easily. Thanks to all contributors !

• Members
Right foot forward skier here. I skied "wrong" until I was 20 or so and into 32'. Switching was easy and definitely helped. Then I got tendonitis in my elbow really bad and switched back to "wrong" just so I could ski. No big deal. Did that for almost a year until I discovered the benefits of the radius handle, which completely cured the tendonitis. Switched back. A few takeaways here: Switching back and forth is easy. For a right foot forward skier, the right way is definitely better than the wrong way. I would expect it to be the same for lefties, but I am not a lefty and will defer to others there. Lastly, use a bent handle if you start to get tendonitis.

• Baller

For a LFF skier, the difference is the 2,4 turn. You can always turn 1,3,5 plenty hard. It can help your 2,4 a bit by bringing your outside hand closer to you hip at the finish. If you break a lot on your offside, it may help.

If it doesn't work out for you, don't worry. It's not a big deal. Plenty of shortline skiers have used the "wrong" grip.

• Baller

Ok ... so I tried switching and it FELT beyond odd to me and immediately put me off balance and I could not seem to get in a "stack" ... switched back but I will continue to experiment. Maybe slow the boat some at first ... running 36 mph.

• Baller
FWIW, you probably spend more hours holding onto a vehicle steering wheel than a ski handle. When safe to do so (stopped in traffic, stop light, or driving straight on a long road), grip the top or the bottom of your steering wheel in the desired slalom grip. (LFF = Left palm down, etc.) This will eventually translate into it feeling more normal. Also, depending upon your level of fitness, switching your grip will activate different muscles in your arms. You will fatigue a little sooner at first on the water with the new grip.

• Baller

I say no. And I wish I never did. I think I was a better skier before I switched. Should have never listened to this move that a coach down in florida insisted I do. Ruined a full year of having to re-learn how to turn 2 and 4 ball.

I'm LFF and now hold the handle like a right handed batter. I say don't do it, go back to a left handed batter's grip and work on other things that will matter more like keeping that handle glued to your hip, etc....

Too many great LFF skier's out there that hold the handle wrong to argue with.

• Baller
After skiing with the wrong grip for nearly 30 years I started the switch at the end of the weekend. Last night was my first day (3rd set) of getting close to being back to running my opener. I can see some potential for significant improvement down the road. My off side turns are much improved and actually almost feel better than my onside now. The part I was not expecting was how sore my forearms are getting, switching the grip works totally different muscles.

• Baller
Wow I cant really believe it. Maybe it has something to do with I suck at skiing so it was easy for me to switch. Im lff so 2 is my off side. I remember pulling out and thinking it was weird for my turn in and 1 ball but then felt much better by 2 and it felt normal by the end of the set. Not that Im good now but I was way less good when I switched. At the same time I learned how to get up with the rope on the right side of the ski also. That was harder to learn forsure.

• Baller
Several years ago, I wanted to make the switch to "correct" grip. During the off season, I mounted a handle on my shop wall. Every night before bed, I would grip the handle the "right" way and simulate several pulls. I did this for 5 months. On my first set of the season, I got up and skied with the "correct" grip. After a fall, I accidentally went back to the "wrong" grip without realizing it. I finished the set the "wrong" way without even realizing I did it. I was never able to make the switch.

Make the switch if you can. I'm LFF also, and when I was learning to ski the course, I held the handle like a left-handed baseball player would hold a bat. I recently found out that this was incorrect for slalom and asked, like you did, "Should I change?" I was unanimously instructed to switch. I went out freeskiing a few days later and tried it. I got used to it pretty quickly, although sometimes I found myself holding it the wrong way again. I free skied again several days later and was already used to it. It makes my pulls seem stronger and more secure (it helps my elbows stay down and attached to vest).

I am RFF and made the switch late last year. At first I thought it would affect my starts so I started how I always had then tried to remember to switch when I got up. That didn't work too well so I made sure my hands were correct before my start and no problems. I get up just as easy and there are no worries after that. For me, it allowed my right arm to be more straight and for me to get a better lean. But, I'm a very novice person so take it for what it's worth!

• Baller

concur with @MrJones - compare both, if you do switch to conventional, stick with it long enough to assess for improvement.

Pretty sure Lucky (LFF) skis (skied) with a reverse grip (left palm up).

(LFF) skis with left palm up (reverse grip), which is reason enough to consider trying or sticking (in your case @Glydon) with a "reverse grip". It certainly has no negative impact on his offside (toeside) reach or toeside cut.

One of my ski partners (LFF) switched to conventional grip for weeks (right palm up) and it had a negative impact on his heelside (1/3/5) reach. He switched back to a reverse grip and instantly back to better.

IMO the reverse grip may aid in keeping the left palm up (humerus externally rotated) in the 1/3/5 reach and helps keeps the shoulders level through the apex and into the hook-up.

That said, one of the best and most experienced coaches out there, and one heck of a skier, recommends the conventional grip for good reason.

This is not always an intuitive sport; you have to be willing to mix it up, experiment a bit, and choose what works best for you, but be amenable to input from quality skiers and coaches. Make a choice, stick with it, ski without thinking about it too much.