Easier to make Nationals at 35 years old than 64

MichaelGoodman

• Baller
That's some pretty impressive longevity. Getting into the blue line at 23 isn't the easiest thing in the world much less to do it consistently in tournaments, I know plenty of skiers in M1/M2 that aren't putting up those kind of scores. The idea there are guys doing it in M6 is pretty cool.

• Baller

I totally disagree. This sport selects for skilled people. Nobody is buying their way into competence. With talent and hard work, they earn it.

What is cool is that the sport doesn't destroy your body. So with ability and dedication, one can retain high level skills despite age.

Eric

• Baller

I flew back and sat next to Nate Smith's parents from Nationals last year. Coach, not first class. I'm not sure I've seen a waterskier fly first class. Waterskiing is nowhere near the expensive side - even for elite athletes. Teachers, firefighters, airline pilots and toilet repairmen make up a large population of skiers - doing OK but not filthy rich or idle. Perhaps that is the unique factor in the longevity in our sport.

@OB1 My buddy whose girls are very good waterpolo players spends a lot more on their club fees than he does for his lake rental fees and boat payments. Swimsuits might be cheaper than skis - no wait, these are girl's suits.

Snow skiing takes a huge investment to look at higher level competition. Just skiing for fun is ridiculously expensive. A crappy resort beer costs the same as @MS 's fancy six pack. And our lakes are usually closer than the mountain.

@Than_Bogan It's been a couple years but I have been to Nationals and held an area record in slalom. I know just how talented (even) a slalom skier must be. Congratulations to all you high achievers - your skills are real and impressive.

Eric

• Baller
My friend spends up to 3-4 weeks a summer at Travers... Then goes down there when he's at school to practice. He's a great skier BUT he would not be nearly to that level (just got open men's rating in trick, slaloms deep 38, jumps mid 140's) if he kept to our lake. I would love to spend a month of my summer down there, but $4,000 minimum is not cheap.

• Baller
Of course it helps, but again, you won't re-create Nate Smith with money alone. Period. Just like NASCAR, and Golf, sure there is privilege among the ranks, but you simply don't buy the top of the podium...to genuinely believe otherwise is nothing more than an excuse

• Baller
I may have missed something along the line. The initial comment was that M6 (last year 64) level 8 minimum average is higher than M3 (first year 35). Somehow it came to the reason being more time and more money. Then it went to how more money, at whatever age will improve your skiing. @OB1 seems to feel that if you're 64 or more you have.more disposable income and that's the reason for the higher average in M6 than M3. Now I don't want to offend anyone but that's what you seemed to say @OB1. As a 69 year old with an 8 year old boat and coincidently an 8 year old ski, (purchased used) I'm just not disposing of too much money on things to improve my skiing. I may be in the distinct minority however, but I'm betting that most 65+ skiers are gonna tell you that ski school, new equipment or whatever aren't gonna help much at this stage of life. I'm betting that M3 skiers on average spend more on skiing than M6 skiers.

• Baller

@LeonL - Hey Leon, I could REALLY use many of sets with Chet.

My perception is the older you are (yes, I am an old enough guy, 51 & 361/365 years) the more set in your ways you are, and need more help to deprogram the bad habits.

I bet if you had a few days with Chet (or some other top notch coach) you would improve. In the scheme of things, it's worth the $$ if you can make it stick. At least that's my experience.

The closest I ever got to placing was the 98 Nats. (btw, some guy name Dray Wanamaker won it with 3@38) 1.5@38 got a 3-way runoff for 5th. I see this year, 1@38 got 5th alone. Not sure how that fits into the thread but seemed kinda related.