-22 wanting a little advice (video)

Dano

@dano just skiing there or the new owner?

same thing I am working on,,, finish turn and then hold stack/position through the wakes otherwise you get separated from the handle if you look at your good turns you hold your position through the wakes, when you lose your position or come out early you get pulled forward and that is hard to recover from

• Baller
I'm going to assume he's either hand driving the throttle & speed, or that boat has a second gear that kicks in at two ball in the third video. Either way. Skiing looks good fundamentally; starts are good, nice and high on the pullout, good glide, you get off the pull a little early rather than pulling through the wakes but it's not hurting you here...off side turn seems a bit shaky at times and I can't see why that's happening (perhaps @SkiJay could recommend a fin tweak needed there). Nicely done

• Baller
Stay down through the wakes. Your shoulders are coming up at the wake and is putting you on a flat ski out to the ball. Staying down will keep your ski on edge and help maintain your outbound direction. All in all, nice smooth skiing!

• Baller

Be patient and Let the ski finish the turn. 246 especially you are grabbing the handle before the ski has come under the rope. You're then loaded early and let up before the wake.

I think it starts at your gate. You jump on the pull out of your glide instead of having a progressive lean into the wake.

• Baller
From the vid it appears your stargazer needs dialing in. Look at my thread about wonky stargazer. Getting gased at the 2 ball is not helping your confidence on the off side turns. Agree with Marco's assessment. about coming up early. That's exactly what first hit me when I watched the vids.

• Baller

I hear what you guys mention regarding stargazer in video 3. to put that to rest I think what you may be hearing is my nephew taking his finger off the mic on the phone as he is holding the phone in hand to make the video. Stargazer times all look to be spot on when we review afterwards.

• Baller

My eye sees that you are a little bit tipy (not to be confused with tipsy, that's a different problem). Be sure to keep your head and shoulders level, that will tighten your turn radius so you don't feel like you have to rush back to the handle before you fall over so the ski will finish more completely. Especially important on the offside. To do that you can think of either 1) pushing your inside (reaching) shoulder up or 2) pushing your outside (releasing) shoulder down.

Two other things I see that I believe will be corrected by the comment above are that you are tending to get stuck in your pull and are then either on it too long it getting popped up at the wakes and that you are forcing your 1,3,5 around by pushing your back foot. I think keeping your shoulders more level throughout the pass will help with both of those things though.

• Baller

FWIW, if you listen to the pitch (note) of the engine, it should not vary due to covering a mic. Notice the difference in the pitch from the gates to the middle of the pass. That pass in particular seemed to start off at a slower speed. Then, you applied force against it by skiing. The boat had to recover by speeding up. The end time may have been good, but I bet the 1st half was slow and the second half was fast.

I have skied SG speed control where it felt like mush at 1-ball, screamed by the time I got to 4-ball, then was settled as I rounded 6. That can be due to not enough throttle at the start. Also, you can manually tweak as a driver, helping it to not relax too much through the gates into 1-ball by adding a little throttle then.

• Baller
I think if you work on getting your hips up more and get more on the front of the ski some the other problems will take care of themselves. Your leaning back from the time you first pull out for the gates. I'm a LFF also. On your pullout you want to rotate your outside hip clockwise and kinda fall forward in the direction you want to go. This should make your pull out feel smooth and effortless. When I come up for glide I push my hips forward to the point my weight is on the balls of my feet and I can kinda feel my heels lifting. Anyway by starting with a move forward its much easier stay forward.

• Baller
@Dano @Texas6 is right, I do see something. The way your ski tip is porpoising around off-side turns is symptomatic of the leading edge of the fin being too far forward ... a lot too far forward. You might be pleasantly surprised by how nice the ski will behave if you can get a proper factory setup on it. It will make a big difference to how confidence inspiring the ski will be. Instead of having to be defensive against getting too much tip in the water, you'll be able to just go skiing with a healthy level of aggression.

• Baller
@SkiJay I actually have the ski set up as factory for 2014 A3 6.835(tips), 2.51, .775(head), 29.5 to rear stitching of front boot. Would you suggest less DFT? Or would you think the problem is more form related, in that COM is just not forward enough?

• Baller

Now that I've seen your setup numbers, I'm going to retract my previous statement @Dano. Although moving the fin's leading edge back will indeed reduce the porpoising, it's not a good idea as it will restrict access to your tip unnecessarily.

Knowing that your setup is good, I'd say you put your finger right on the issue with your comment on your "core" and "form." By far the biggest issue I see is inconsistent use of the ski's tip. Your default tendency is to ride with too much weight over your rear foot, sending the tip skyward and the water break back under the front foot. The ski's tip will not want to stay engaged during the pre-turn and turn with this much weight on the back foot.

Sometimes, you get nicely over your front foot. See Video 2, ball four. That was the best off-side turn in the three videos. And it's no coincidence that you just happened to get well over your front foot in the pre-turn (notice where the water is breaking on the ski), and stayed there through the completion of the turn.

• Baller

@MS You liked the turbulators on the engine covers! He's a beta tester for me.

@Dano Good basics but you need more confidence in your skills. If you have a form break go straight to the stacked confident position and believe you can ski yourself to where you want to be. Hang on to it and run the passes.

Eric