Why don't more women ski?

eleeski

tmq7y037vw19.jpeg

I can squat, deadlift, and press twice as much as my wife, but she's kicking the crap out of me in our first year skiing. Needless to say I don't necessarily buy the whole "guys are stronger so more keen to ski" mantra.

Photo of my wife, daughter and 2 friends who were trying slalom for the first time ...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

The real question is “why would we want more women to ski?” Do we want to fill up tournaments? Or expand water skiing as a lifestyle sport? Who benefits if more women ski? From a product sales standpoint, I’ve always said “If you get the moms, you get the world.” For the tournament path, you sell the competition, and it’s a very steep path if you are starting from just learning the course. Most women starting later in life are not going to be competitive in their age division. For the lifestyle path, you sell the fitness, joy and achievement. I’ve seen many women get hooked on skiing – and they get just as addicted running the “green buoys” as someone trying for 35 off. They buy boats, skis, and all kinds of gear. What gets in the way is for skiers with one set of goals to de-value those with a different set of goals.

As for where to put Waterski Magazine? How about the gym? There are thousands of women bored and fit that would love skiing if they knew about it and it were accessible.

• Baller
Plus 1 on the first six being important. Once my first son started running passes, my recreational skier wife decided that, "damn it, if he can do it so can I!" She's always been a skier, but she worked hard and now she is hooked. She skis the tournaments so that she gets to ski on the weekends we go to tournaments.

• Baller

What ive noticed being on the lakes and skiing, (ever since i can remember) is that the men have their ski groups and "most" not "all" women/spouses do not have an interest in skiing or tubing or even throwing a frisbee or football..even if the women can ski, they dont want to get up at 6:30 am for the glass and would rather go out to dinner than wait till 8:30pm to let the lake calm down for sunset skiing....you HAVE to be PASSIONATE about the sport.....alot of women, and im talking late 40's' to mid 50's have settled into a frame of mind that "they are older now, and its just what your supposted to do".(relax)....meaning

"not be energetic, athletic, outgoing or anything that requires you to say "exercise?"....this is just what ive experienced over the years....taken it for what its worth....i on the other hand....cant get enough of the sport....

• Baller

I consider myself very lucky! My wife loves to ski almost as much as I do, she's a member with me at Broho, she's a great driver...AND she's very easy on the eyes in a swimsuit! B)

We're actually pretty lucky up here in the PNW. Quite a few ladies; at least in the places I ski. ;)

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller

I don't like discrimination but there are differences between men and women. Also agree with @shell that passion is necessary. Early morning, late evening, jammed into a lunch hour...whatever it takes. Spending our free time on this forum every day...why? We can't stop thinking about skiing. Far more men than women ski any tourney I've been to, and far more men than women on this forum. Why I don't know other than that, in general, it seems to be a sport more men gravitate to than women.

It is an "adrenaline" game to some degree, and may then more naturally fit with testosterone based creatures in general with exceptions. Just a theory.

• Baller

@6balls Absolutly agree there are differences between men & women.. Men will always be stronger than women....thats how it should be in my book......skiing requires technique, passion, devotation, drive and love of the sport......its an "Adrenaline Rush" for sure....all i can think is as i put it earlier....very few women have that "make-up"

So to say.....i wish more did, i welcome more women......i eat, think, sleep how i can fit a set in.....is there any other clothing from late April to late October? other than a few necessary items: ski, ski vest, ski gloves, bikini, ski rope, lake, boat and nothing but glass water... <3

• Baller

@Shell

I live on a man made ski lake with a SN200 club boat. We haven't had our own boat since my husband left the promo team. I never ski anywhere else unless I visit friends down south. We are going to a tournament this fall in FL but only my husband (MS) is signed up. I will ski, though not in the tournament.

I have driver and judge ratings...I will help if they need me and cheer on my friends. :)

• Baller

@Mrs_MS THATS great....sounds like you and your hubby have a great system and passion for the sport...and thats KEY....

Ive skied in FL twice and a clinic in MI with CP....all great experience...Keep the "Women" appearance going strong B)

• Baller

@Mrs_MS thanks......ive always been competitive and strive for the best i can be.....lol...just wish more women were out on the lakes....keep pushing and you will get it back....may take a bit of hard work, but the payoff will feel well worth it

Always feels good after a set of skiing, running, hockey...anything that gets your heart pumping. ....even if it means alot of work....

• Baller
My wife loves to ski the course and is almost making all 6. She has a ton of drive, however she just loves it for fun because she bases it around getting hurt. We have two girls, I travel, and if she gets hurt then we would have some issues. Our who family has a passion for skiing which is awesome, I am just the tourney goer. She is my favorite boat driver, not to mention my little girls staring at me from the observer seat!

• Baller

I don't think the trend is unique to skiing, most recreational sports likely see a decline in participation as people go from kids to adults. The thing with skiing is it uses a unique set of muscles so a casual adult skier tends to pay for their set with days of sore, stiff muscles and I know a number of people who no longer even ski open water because they don't feel its worth it.

I've taken some coaching clinics for young girls sports and one main point I took away was girls ARE NOT boys. Boys typically value the final outcome, did we win/ lose, did I make another buoy/ pass or not. Girls typically have a higher value on the journey or process, did we play well, was my technique proper, did the outing meet my social expectations.

So when I consider these 2 factors (outcome vs journey) I think men are generally wired to accept soreness, blisters, cold water, early mornings for the accomplishments that comes with skiing. Conversely women, who value the journey, would have to like soreness, blisters, cold water, early mornings and querky ski partners to develop the passion for the sport.

These are just thoughts based on broad generalizations, I know not everybody would fit into these categories. Within my regular ski group there is a lady that is as dedicated as the rest of us nutz. My wife (who's skied since being a young kid and loves being in the ski boat) will pass on skiing unless all the stars are properly aligned.

• Baller

@Fam-man i "kinda" agree with your writings ...as the lady in your ski club....we are out here...blisters, cold water, early morning starts & soreness...is all part of the rush for me...."no pain no gain"...

Its a PASSION....and you HAVE to have it...some do..and some dont...and that's perfectly fine....

Unless its your other half....lol...then that could cause a problem...just sayin'... ;)

• Baller

@Shell is right.

It takes passion to make ski sets a priority in setting your weekly schedule.

It takes determination to put the ski back on after a hard fall.

It takes drive to push yourself to the next pass.

It takes access to buoys to do all of the above. ( @Rpc29 )

Figure out how to infuse others with the passion & improve the access and the rest will happen.

• Baller

@Shell I knew agreement wouldn't be 100% and that's why I stressed the generalizations. Nobody ever fits one category, just giving a perspective for consideration.

A group of people passionate about something discussing why other people aren't passionate about it may not reach accurate conclusions. Our perspective is based on our feelings and the things we like so much may be exactly what they don't like. As an example I don't like wakesurfing mostly because it's so slow and boring. My brother in law loves it because it's slow and not physically stressing. So what gives you a rush could be a real PITA for someone else.

• Baller

From @Horton:

My comments are about learning to run the course. I've watched my wife struggle and it is strength and willingness to commit to the wake this kept her from running 6 balls and kept her from really catching the bug.

I think that first 6 buoys is critical in building somebody's interest and I think men being more aggressive and stronger get through that easier.

Once you get over that hump and start running passes I have no idea why there's more men than women in the sport.

-----

I'm in the same...ah..boat. I don't think it's as much of a strength issue as it is a willingness to commit. My wife will ski within 6 inches off all 6 buoys but just not go around them. No matter what the coach says, she always seems to back off at the wake. She definitely enjoys the sport (when conditions are just right), but I'm sure that if she finally ran the course, her enthusiasm wound increase. She is becoming a better driver, so that's good.

• Baller
@Fam-man and @Shell I'm not sure about the comment that "men are generally wired to accept soreness, blisters, cold water..." In my experience women seem to have a much higher threshold for pain, at least from a whining standpoint. I'm not really sure about the journey vs. outcome theory either. Is that a biological difference or is it really just the current environmental/social difference. Once hooked, the women I know are just as passionate about the outcome, which brings us back to that "first six" discussed earlier. I think guys OR gals that that are perpetually trying to reach that first six or are always "behind" in their development compared to their peers (which right now seems to mostly men) tend to burn out and find a way to take it less seriously just to protect the sanity. It's really not that fun to be in that situation and have to hang out and listen to a bunch fanatics and just makes it harder to get hooked.

• Baller

@Deke @Fam-man i did not make that comment and never would, but referenceing it......i have a very "high" tolerance for pain and i "NEVER" complain...its just not me....i feel great when im sore, have blisters and proud of myself after a set in cold water, when most ppl call me crazy....i call it "PASSION". If women want to recreational ski thats great....they can go at most "anytime" during the day....if you dont want women to get burned out or in a situation to listen to a bunch of fanatics, then maybe not have them participate in early morning/late evening sets when hanging out and talking is all part of the beauty of the sport....(in my mind)

Thats one of my favorite things to do....and a lil bailey's in the coffee doesn't hurt either :)

• Baller
@kellybrewer your situation sounds exactly like mine and my wife's. In addition, we have a very small window of potentially good water that doesn't begin until 10:00 AM, right about the time that boat traffic picks up. This season has also been unusually windy. We're there, but the reality is we strike out more often than not. Interest has dwindled but if the situation were different, guaranteed both of us would be hooked again. I'm not sure what all of this has to do with why don't more women ski, but if it isn't fun, what's the point.

Maybe because women's swimsuits are better suited for laying on the beach than actually doing anything active? I'm a 21 yr old female and walking into a roxy, billabong, and Ron jon surf shop and asked "which suit is the best for watersports" and the clerk says "...uh...none of them"

O'Neil finally came in clutch with their paddleboard sportsbras. It's frustrating having to do anything in the tiny bikinis as they don't hold anything in, bottoms that don't stay on, and our top brands falling short.

Also, I believe we need to strike harder in show skiing. They create a lot of community awareness with local shows. Everytime I tell someone who knows nothing about waterskiing that I waterski, they ask if I do the pyramid thing. Show ski does this and can generate interest more than 3 event. Once they are in the ski relm, it's easier to convert them. Ballet lines attract many women, and we need to steal these great skiiers for 3-event

• Baller

@mcvoska When I started to read your post I thought, here we go again, some guy hoping for bikini clad women (is that thinking part of the problem?). But your issues are real. While skiing in a skimpy bikini is not unsafe, it certainly doesn't give any body armor confidence. I keep trying to get the college teams to have team wetsuits - both for warmth and protection. Your insight is quite valid.

Additionally, any avenue to get more skiers in the sport is needed. In California, we don't have many ski shows. Perhaps we need to encourage more. My first exposure to a trick skier was at a ski show - a real connection for me!

Eric

• Baller
My wife and I always go out together. Before we moved, it was my wife, two of our friends who were both moms, and myself doing morning runs before work. Actually I probably skied 1/3 what they did due to work and my back issues. Now, it's typically my wife saying get up and let's go! I guess I'm lucky in that regard, because it is usually more fun and relaxed skiing with women. Nice and chill, no tantrums or putting, plus the look alot better in ski attire!

• Baller

I think the question is phrased wrong. It isn't about getting more WOMEN to ski per se...it is about getting more PEOPLE to ski. Are the tournaments sausagefests? Of course they are...but I know the New England INT didn't happen this year because overall participation was down.

To me, the sport has a mentorship problem. Personally I was out there trying to get people to help me learn the course, but most of us have our ski partners, we go, we do our sets, and move on. At tournaments people are really helpful and supportive, but when was the last time you taught a non-family member to ski? When was the last time you introduced them to the course?

Right now I am trying to get my son more involved, he is 10, but more importantly I am trying to get his friends involved, because if his friends want to ski...he will want to ski.

• Baller

As someone who teaches 10-20 new friends waterskiing or wakeboarding every summer, I'd have to say that most women are just less aggressive and more reserved when it comes to pushing their limits. I personally don't care whether people want to do wakeboarding or waterskiing so long as they do something besides sitting in the boat or tubing (which is potentially grounds for un-friending people in my book).

I've taught several girls how to slalom ski and could get most of them up on one ski pretty quickly but getting them to carry any angle or speed into the wake is tough. Same with wakeboarding...getting them up and getting them to jump isn't hard but getting them to clear the wake is like pulling teeth. It takes a special kind of girl to go push the limits and eat it hard only to get back up and try again. They're out there and they're awesome but out of 50+ girls I've had out on my boat over the years, I know maybe 2-3 that are go-getters and do really well and maybe 3-4 more than have actually progressed beyond what they learned the first or second time out.

@mcvoska There are lots of athletic yet attractive bikini's out there. They're a bit harder to find and probably not as "cute" but they are definitely out there and the girls I know love them. When all else fails...a girl rocking a one piece on a ski is more attractive than a bikini babe laying on the beach who won't get her hair wet.

• Baller

jy431lj2ooiy.jpg

I have a 6 year old daughter who is "all in" for skiing and water sports. Once she learned how to swim this summer her interest in skiing skyrocketed. She must love skiing because she skied this past Tuesday in 67F water without any wetsuit, just her longsleeved swimsuit. I'm hoping that her love of the sport will get my other daughter skiing next year.

Truth is, we had about 20 new skiers get up on skis at the lake this summer. I'd say it was about an even split between boys and girls. What really helps is encouraging them all and telling them they did a great job at "X". The encouragement really helps boost their confidence.

I agree that access is a big issue. How many people in a big city have access to a lake close by?

I'll keep having people come to the lake and ski. Hopefully it will give them the bug and they will take their love of skiing with them as they grow up and eventually start their own families.

• Baller

...a girl rocking a one piece on a ski is more attractive than a bikini babe laying on the beach who wont get her hair wet!!! @waternut

So VERY well said!!!!

Agreed!!! Wish more women were like @B_S wife and myself ;)

• Baller
I'm a 15 off (30 mph) skier who will get up at 4:30am to put the course in on our public lake. I ski as much as possible, without having easy access to a private lake. I don't feel that my skiing is good enough to compete in a tournament. I would like to try a tournament that welcomes skiers of my level. I haven't found any grassroots or INT tournaments near me. It's intimidating being a mediocre skier and a woman showing up at a tournament where you feel like the outsider and if you miss your opener your done.

• Baller

@lcarnes Thanks for linking that excellent article. Of course, all of us who ski get those same feelings - regardless of gender. Gender should not be a factor in participation levels.

@mmski Now you may be getting to the heart of the matter. I learned when Al Frosini was doing his novice series. So many ability divisions, so much incentive to qualify up and such a welcoming tournament environment. A while later I ran into full tournaments where my entry wasn't wanted and coming in DFL in local tournaments when I'd PB by running 32off. I was lucky, I had a Cessna that burned cargas and a flexible schedule so I traveled to where the tournament scene was still fun and kept my passion. There are still places and people who truly welcome you - especially at your level. Never be intimidated!

Eric

• Supporting Member

@mmski I think you'd be pleasantly surprised how welcoming it is. (And if not, then PLEASE call them out here on BoS for a public flogging. Welcoming new folks is so critical to our sport!!)

And we ALL miss our openers sometimes. It sucks every time, and people remain very sympathetic.

Also, many tournaments offer a Fun class, that allows you to take two passes (each round) no matter what happens.

• Baller
@mmski I would also like to point out that you CAN compete. I don't know how old you are or where you are, but if you can run your 30mph pass at 15off that would put you solidly at level 6 in W1 and qualify you to compete in the regionals, at least in the eastern region.

• Baller
@mmski I'm an older woman who starts at 28 mph and skis in tournaments where 28 off is a more common starting speed. Although we talk about negative aspects of tournaments these days, e.g., skiing for rankings in local tournaments rather than tournaments where you are actually competing against others like at regionals or nationals, these ranking-type tournaments are much less stressful for me. I'm skiing against myself trying to improve my score and rooting for others doing the same--regardless of speed or line length. I'm also scared that I'll miss my first pass--but guess what, even the best can. I encourage you to go ahead and ski in tournaments. I think that you'll find that your skiing will improve and regardless that most other competitors will cheer you on. I probably get more cheers when I run 30 15 off than others who run 35 or 38 off. I think we worry too much that better skiers will look "down their noses" at us. Honestly, I hate that there are not more of us who who have that competitive spirit willing to get up at 4:30 to get that course in or to jump in the water when it's cold and windy. If you get a chance go to one of Coble's women's weeks. I've been to two and always leave feeling more confident and that the sky is the limit. Register for that next tournament---you got this!!!!!! See you at the starting dock.