How did you find your boat?

Keith_Menard

• Baller

Ultimately Craigslist. Looked on onlyinboards, ebay, google, local and near state dealership web pages and a nationwide craigslist search. At the time there were only about 6 of what I was looking for for sale anywhere, lucked out and mine was for sale on the other side of the same town I live in.

Fwiw, last time I looked mn inboard had an lxi in stock

2006_MALIBU_RESPONSE LXI

There are a couple on ski-it again (04 and 05) one looks trashed the other is meh - but they are cheap

• Baller

Craigslist. But I'm not afraid to travel for a toy. Some people seem to only wanna look in their back yard, (most BOS members opposite). Drove 450 miles for my last SN which needed a few things done to it, 700 for my prior SN turn key.

I'm an eBay junkie but am too afraid to buy a boat etc from eBay.

• Baller_

For the 2000 MasterCraft 205 that I bought in 2004, I looked at Boat Trader Online.

I found one (a 1995 Prostar 190) for my cousin on Ski It Again. He drove from Michigan to Virginia to buy it. He's looking again at Ski It Again, once a local friend can buy his.

My most recent boat (Malibu LX) was owned by a fellow club member, as a pseudo demo boat through his brother's deakership. I actually wasn't even looking, but heard offhand that it was for sale and I wanted ZO. So, I bought it.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
Found mine on searchtempest it searches craigslist all over the country. Was looking for someone who wanted to trade a ski boat for my harley straight up. Found a guy in New york who had a mint 1996 supra ts6m with a gt40 with 260 hours. He trailer the boat to Illinois. We tested it. Had pizza and beers. Gave him some gas money. Paid for his room for the night and the uhaul trailer to take my 2002 springer softail back to NewYork

• Baller

I searched all the common sites. SIA, BoatTrader, Craigslist via SearchTempest, Planet Nautique, Correct Craft Forum, and eBay.

My dealer knew I was looking and found me the boat that I ended up buying. It wasn't really even for sale, but they knew the owner and knew they were no longer using the boat. It was never on the market.

I have a great relationship with Son Watersports (those in MN will know who they are). They do the winterization and maintenance on my 211, and have always treated me well even stepping to the plate when I had a problem that was long out of warranty. Having a dealer willing to look through their database will get you access to boats that you would otherwise not have access to. Something to think about.

• Baller
Searchtempest is a fantastic site! Checks all the craigslist sites in a specified distance and eliminates the ones with no hits. It also gives you a bit of an idea of who is being a jerk and listing their stuff and on every site within like 200 miles of them...these guys usually seem to be less flexible on price and usually don't know squat about their boat.

• Baller
2012 I was looking for a used closed bow ski boat with Z-off I was not willing to pay more than 30k. Every boat that came on the market was gone when I called that year there were very few that showed up on ski-it-again. Ultimately I ended up calling ski boat dealers that were within a days drive from home I called twice a week to each dealer and asked if they knew of anyone trading in a boat that met my requirements. It paid off after 7 months bought a 2008 196 430hrs 25k like new condition.

• Baller
like @Orlando76 said, don't be afraid to travel a bit. When I buy a new to us vehicle I always am willing to travel a bit. My theory is, look in cities that have BIG money. To these people, a few year old boat/car/suv is old and junk, when to the average joe like me, its perfect and lots of life left. Craigslist is your friend. Check EVERY day and be READY to buy. The good deals will go fast most of the time. But beware of the craigslist weirdos! A lot of strange people can be met through craigslist sales. HA! Sad but true.

• Baller

I searched SIA and was ready to drive and found one on craigslist literally 10 minutes from a good friends house. He checked it on a Sunday I drove down and bought it that Friday and he hauled it back north for me.

Doubt I will ever find the deal I got on craigslist ever again.

• Baller
I found mine on Onlyinboards. I broke every rule of boat buying, but the seller provided extremely credible references, and since it's so easy to check people out on the internet, I creeped all over him. He's a pretty prominent businessman in his area, with a stellar reputation, so that checked out and he clearly had no need to scam anyone. So, after exchanging a lot of information, I both a boat sight unseen, 1,300 miles away. The seller of a boat I missed out on (his next door neighbor bought it) told me that I'd be able to figure out if the guy was a real skier and that was good advice- this guy is a real skier and he treated the boat right and treated me right- he split the transport, had it buffed out, and took it to get shrink-wrapped four the trip (at my cost, but he had to schlep it around quite a few miles). I was definitely lucky, but at some point in the discussions with the seller, it became clear that he was a good guy, so I took the risk and am glad I did.

• Supporting Member

I found my 06 LXi on Craigslist, using within 1,000 miles. I searched nationally through SIA/Tempest/BoatTrader.

Absolutely NO AFFILIATION, but this 05' with Hammerhead seems to be a very fair deal (at least in California) http://ventura.craigslist.org/boa/5745155601.html

Given your model/year request, it sounds like ZO is not a concern (it was not for me). I really like my new/old boat. I read every forum article on the LXi, and economically for the type of skiing (85% free) and maybe boarding for others it was the right fit.

Good Luck in your search.

• Baller

I've owned 5 boats.

Ski Centurion Warrior Barefoot Comp with Yamaha 225 EFI -- yee ha! Bought from my dad.

Gekko GTR 22 - bought in 2000 from Mark Overbye -- finally decided to join the inboard ski crowd (it is now hard for me to believe I've only skied an inboard since 2000).

MC 197PS TT -- bought at end of 2005 season from Barry Madden - promo driver in Iowa.

2014 ProStar - bought from my dealer in MN, Andy Larson. 5.7L

2015 ProStar - also from Andy Larson. 6.2L of serious fun.

• Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure you will not find a 03-06LXi model in the $10K range unless it needs serious work.

If your needing some form of Open Bow in the $10-$13K range, I'd be looking at a MC 205, Malibu LX or LXi or SNOB, with EFI/well cared for hours and records.

The options for you really open up if a closed bow will work, or can muster a higher budget.

Remember, once on the lake/river, the boat won't really matter as long as your out having fun and sharing the sport with others (not arguing the pro's/con's of wake/ride etc)

• Baller

I was looking a little higher than the 10k range, but a 2002 GTO-22 came up in that range that looks super clean with high hours, but a ski school boat, perfect pass, shower, heater, trailer, boom, etc. I think that is going to fit the bill for a couple years. Right now I am barely a 15 off skier...sooo... :)

What is an SNOB?