Whats your favorite dry suit?

svxwilson

• Baller

I am finding myself in the market for a dry suit and have very little knowledge. I see the O'Neil Attack Hybrid was a good semi cost friendly option but now its discontinued after some research. I have found sone random places still have them in stock. Is that my best option?

What do you like and why?

Thanks for your input.

• Baller_
Bare Ultra Dry baggy suit. I like the freedom of movement and the warmth from the ability to wear sweatpants and other loose layers. Some will say they do not like a full baggy suit, but I think I like it better over a neoprene hybrid. If you burp the air out when you get in the water, the drag from the suit is negligible, as it becomes somewhat form-fitting without being restrictive. Bare has a cool nylon zipper that is easy to zip versus the brass zippers on most.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_
@6balls, must you/can you trim the neck seal or is that not required on the Boost? I am considering a second suit and am curious what else is out there. Is the neoprene neck seal more durable than rubber or about the same?

• Baller

I'll second the baggy suit. I'm more than pleased with that style of suit.

As a side note, I bought a 7mm full suit for putting in and taking out docks/rails/etc. during cold water times. I skied with it all spring and it reminded me a lot of the Sahara without the seals of course. But what little water came in quickly became comfortable. I might just use that as it's so much easier to put on and take off, and I really didn't notice a hindrance in skiing performance...and I ripped a seal in my drysuit.

• Baller_

@OB1,

drysuit (noun) - a waterproof garment allowing wearers from Michigan and other northern climates to achieve a strong presence on the USA Water Ski National Championship (where the scores count) podiums year after year, despite having a weather-shortened training season.

• Baller

I cherish my O'Neill Assault Hybrid Drysuit since it enables me to enjoyably extend the ski season. I am disappointed to hear that it has been discontinued. I prefer the neoprene lower to a suit with a baggy lower.

Appear to be some on SIA.

• Baller

My favorite drysuit is the one hanging up in the closet because it is too warm to wear one.

Aside from that, O'Neill suits have held up fairly well. Wish they made the old Lapoint style, it was lightweight and plenty of flex, and very warm.

• Baller

Just a update, I am leaning towards the O'Neill Assault Hybrid. I called O'Neill and apparently it is not discontinued they have it hidden on their website in the ski vests.

I have found a few different fit charts, debating on L or XL. I am 6' 200lbs, 34-36 waist and it looks just like skis i am right in the middle of the 2 sizes. Any suggestions there? I am built like a T-rex (thanks to soccer) very large legs and ankles and in comparison smaller upper body.

• Baller

This spring for experiment I put full Camaro Blacktec under regular 5mm wetsuit and felt really overheated in very cold water. Since then do not feel like wear dry one.

Another thing is that a decent part of heat lost from the head therefore neo cap does a great job for comfort skiing.

• Baller

Bare Ultra Dry Drysuitj8gx6t46r172.gif

I purchased mine in 2006 - seals have been replace a few times, but material of this suit is more of a vinyl type compared to the nylon with polyurethane coating on the inside. The Bare material is more durable by far. And as mentioned the T-Zip zipper is far superior to the brass zippers.

• Baller
@svxwilson Granted it has been a few years since I bought my hybrid. I wear size large of everything but this suit came very big in size L for me. Very roomy as they claim it's designed for additional layers wich I think is totally unnecessary for the lower body as the suit itself is very warm with the thick neoprene. So maybe it will fit your legs better.

There's just a few to pick from and me and ski buds ski year round for long time .48 degree water thru the yrs we've used them all ,there all good .but the aderiniline is the best bang for the buck and u can layer . Drysuit the best invention since sliced bread.

• Baller

@miskier I would say neoprene neck more durable than latex. You blow a latex seal in a baggy and it's a very wet suit.

@MS I like the low drag of that neo and hybrid stuff but never had one stay dry very long. Boost is the least draggy baggy I've had and the most comfortable neck seal.

• Baller
I have the hybrid Oneill. Like the suits from a comfort and warmth standpoint, but the leg and wrist seals are a little delicate. Oneill has been good about replacing/fixing, but it is frustrating to have a leg seal or wrist seal rip when you still have a month of cold water skiing ahead of you. I'll be sending my current suit back for repair next week and using my son's (since he's in TX) until mine comes back. If I didn't have his around, I'd be screwed.

• Baller
I have stopped using my drysuits. I use a Camarro 2.0 and under it a Camarro .5 top which is thin and flexible. Top has no zipper and really protects from cold water coming in through to your back on the 2.0. Last ride was water 58 air at 52 and it worked well. Q

• Baller
I have a Bare baggy, about 15 years old. Still in great shape. I need to replace the seals every 3-4 years. EZ on/off. You can trim the seals to fit your ankles, wrists and neck... for those of us with BIG heads. If the nylon ever rips, I'll lean towards the Camaro 2mm full suit.

• Baller
I really like my Eagle dry suit. It breathes well and is quite tight along the legs for a bag suit. Don't let the front zipper fool you though, it still takes a buddy to do the final cinch down.

• Baller
Can somebody help me understand the magic behind the Camaro? All I see is a full length wetsuit at 2 mm. Well, I've skied in cold water in 2mm wetsuits, and I was NOT warm. What is the difference between the Camaro and any old average 2 mm wetsuits?

• Baller
My baggy suit ripped about a week ago. Been in a Camaro full suit for 2 days now. Water temp dropped to 55 and I'm still warm. Magic? A good magician never reveals his secrets, but after taking off the Camaro, 60%+ of the inside of it was still dry. It seems to fit tighter than other wetsuits, yet was incredibly easy to put on/off.

• Baller

I ended up going with the Camaro, got a suit for the wife and I for the price of one dry suit. Dry suit may be a eventual item but I think the Camaro will see more use.

Big Thanks to everyone for all the different suggestions and opinions.

• Baller

Good question.

Here is a stab at an answer

Perhaps technology.

Perhaps the titanium.

Read something that said it is like refleting you own heat back on you.

I have had quite a few and multiple brands of 3 /2 suits none even remotely close to as warm as the motec 2mm. None as flexible. None as light.

Hard to believe it's a full 2 mm.

Is seems very thin.

I know that is not really an explanation but it is an accurate description. They work well.

Bought one. Then another for my wife. Then a back up for me. Then family and friends bought them. Then I got the .5 top. Now some of them will get the top.

A dry suit is probably warmer though most leak before long and may feel at least damp and no where near as pleasant to wear.

I am in Alaska we tend toward water in the 60s and air in the 50s in the morning when I ski.

I will no longer wear any of my other wet suits they simply don't work even remotely near as well.

I woar a brand new dry suit once for comparison and then went back to the Camaro 2.0 over the .5 top. I can't actually explain why it seems to work so well, but I appreciate it every time I use it. Simply impressed by how well it works again and again. After two seasons often still feel surprised at how well it works.

I hope that helps a little. It's the most unique wet suit/ dry suit product for what a water skier needs that I have ever encountered.