2016 Ski Season Look Back

Horton

• Baller

My year started late and slow mostly due to weather. I ended last season on a strong note but couldn't get into my groove until I was 15-20 sets into the year (which is a 1/4 of my season). Meant my tournament rounds were mediocre at best as they were all in July.

Some fin tweaking and a few reminders on fundamentals and I started to ski better than ever in August which carried through to a pb in September. Still have 1 more trip south in a couple weeks before I'm done for 2016.

• Administrators
My season is basically done. I skied a little more than 200 sets this year. I ran up to my long time PB in 4 tournaments, ran one ball less in one tournament and unbelievably to me I exceeded my old PB by one ball once. For a guy that is almost 48 years old that is pretty cool. Maybe more significant is that I spent all of 2015 recovering from bicep reattachment surgery. 2016 was my best ski season since 1993.

• Baller
It was a good year- resurrected the permanent course on my home lake after several years of disuse and found it to be in good shape. It was verified as a record course when installed and still looks straight, but we'll try and get it surveyed next year. Coming back after several years of not much skiing due to injuries, injuries to my ski partners, lake problems, and too much work (!?!) was way tougher than I thought it would be- had a brief stretch in the middle of the year where I was actually consistent (and not consistently dreadful), but went into an end of the year slump. Still, great to be back getting consistent water time.

• Baller

I love that you can progress in this sport at any age. This was hands down my best ski season ever @ 42- thank you Radar!! I ended last season with a knee sprain rounding 6 ball trying to complete my first 35 ever...6 ball!!!!! Didn't finish the pass. And then it got cold. This season 32's became automatic and finally around early mid-season, my first 35 went down. Fast forward to today, I'm about a dozen 35's deep and a handful of falls at 2 ball at 38, and one 3 @ 38. Oh but those were all practice PB's soooooo, they don't count. I did however fall at 4 ball @ 35 for a tourney PB Most thankful for no injuries this season

But the best thing I accomplished all season was spending three summer months skiing with my 13 year old boy, who damn near caught up to his old man in a single summer

• Baller
Lotsa reps on a post-op spine which was encouraging and a lot of fun. Would have liked more 38's but pretty satisfied overall. Tournaments just didn't work out in terms of life schedule so ran none. Props to those knocking down PB's.

• Baller

This year was the start to the rest of my life. I thought I loved open water skiing..... now all I can think of is a course on a private lake somewhere in WY behind a 2016 Nautique 200. Best summer ever. PBs almost every trip out as I relearned how to ski.

Started REALLY slow.... 22MPH with a long line in June. Worked my way to 30MPH on the long line by the end of August, then graduated to 26mph at 15off. Once I got comfortable with 15off@26 we introduced entrance gates.

The last 2 months I have skied more than I ever have before 1-2 lake trips a week. The last 3 weeks I had been working at getting 15off @ 28, this last weekend I crushed 28 and moved to 30 in the same set. 4 at 30mph amd 15off to end my season. We pulled buoys after that set.

I am already wishing it was spring and I have 5 months to snow ski.

• Baller
Turned 50 this year but it has been the best year of skiing ever. Sept 2015 I was struggling to run 15off 32mph. I skied all last winter. 22off 34mph is almost automatic now. Been running 28off pretty regularly. Got 3@28off at the Austin BOS cash price (should of ran it). Been around 4 ball @32off on the slow side of 34mph. Unfortunately knee surgery getting ready to end the season.

• Baller

Turn 65 this month, had a great start to the season running 28 off in April which I usually don't manage until June, unfortunately had a slump in June and my new ski arrived around the same time, had a miserable 2 months with a lot of highs and lows.

By mid August I was about to can the new ski when one of my ski friends told me I wasn't skiing bad it was just my timing at 1 ball was slightly out, so I went back to basics and free skied for a week and felt much better when I got back in the course.

I had really high hopes for this season but it all came right in the end when I ran 28 off in two rounds of competition the first time I have done this since ZO came on the scene.

Looking forward to winter training now in the cold Scottish water and more pb's in 2017.

• Baller_

A full 7 months of skiing in Michigan this year.

March 15 - first free ski

March 24 - buoys in and first course runs

April 4 & 7 - lessons with Jodi Fisher (the super early skiing in MI was primarily to prepare)

June 28 - lessons with Seth Stisher at our site

At the State tournament, I equaled my 34 mph PB and that was 4 buoys over my best score at States. I beat my 34 mph practice PB by 2 buoys. I did skunk out and miss all my openers in one tournament this year, but I'll take that as a learning opportunity.

I did not equal my 36 mph PB this year in a tournament. I beat my practice PB at that speed by 3 buoys, but I was disappointed in my tournament scores.

I bought a Goode XT (not the reissue) from a fellow club member in October and starting working with that. It made a big difference, but I ran out of time to really see what it could do. I got about 10-12 sets on it.

The one thing that held me back was that I injured my shoulder painting the laundry room in May (yes, painting). It bothered me all season and I just continued to beat on it. I think some of my skiing was not as confident and aggressive due to that. Hopefully, the winter rest will fix it. At 51, I need a little time to regenerate every now and then.

All in all, a good season.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Great ski year with some ups and downs. Practice PB upped to 4.5 at -32@34mph. Yes, that's falling after 5 ball with a good look at 6. Close.

Started the year early with 5 sets out at Eden ski lake in SW Florida. Started on a 16 Vapor and loved it right out of the box, getting deep into -32 in February.

Spring Break: Bennett's as usual. UW and Marquette teams were there and I gave them a run for the money in Flip-Cup contests, though by the end of the trip and "beer olympics" they left me a broken, broken man! Tons of fun. Skied fairly well, had a blast as always.

Summer, Skied about 58 sets at the club. 5:30 or 6AM before work almost daily. It's the best part of the year and basically the best part of being alive during those few short months where we have daylight and warm temps.

About halfway through the year I ordered a Rev6. Never had been on a Goode before and I wanted to try it out. Right out of the box I loved it, so I sold the Radar (which was also a great ski). Have been running more consistently on the Rev but only inched the PB up about a buoy or so. Splitting hairs.

This fall we went completely insane and bought a 16 200 OB promo. Just in time to ride it a few times and then put it away for the winter. Though we have a new club boat every year, this is our personal family boat that gives us flexibility to ski anywhere and now do it with room to spare and ZO wherever we go. Nice 1st world luxury, you only live once.

Tricked more than ever this year, have never been more consistent as a result. Finally got the WB, now working on a RWB and I'd love to get a reverse wrap so that's for next year. I think I can trick about 680 now if I'm not mistaken.

Only made it to one tourney with really bad weather conditions. Rain, big head/tail, chilly temps, could not run my -28 which was really disappointing since I ran it a million times in practice. Like I say every year, going to really try to ski more tournaments next year.

• Baller
We,had pretty good weather in the Spring, so we got to ski a good bit. Was running 32 off earlier than any previous season. Tried a new ski and after tinkering with it for 3 weeks I regressed. I did run 35 more times in '16 than in '15. Won Regionals for the first time, but after Regionals tried another ski for about a month to my regret. Got on a blue ARC and spent all my sets since Sept 1 skiing only 28 off (with just a few 32's tossed in) and trying to make some major changes to my style. As of yesterday I've run 28 off 133 times in this quest for improved style and form. Hoping for significant improvement next year.

• Members

Neighbors and I taught me 8yr old autistic son to ski. He didn't start trying until the end of July and was done for the year early September. He skied nearly 60 sets in that time and is excited out of his mind about the Radar TRA he has waiting for next year.

My season was plagued by heavy travel, crap weather and medication side effects. I did manage to drive about 800 passes for friends and family and the time with my son more than made up for what I missed.

All in all, The Best Season so far.

• Baller
Grew up on a big public lake, life long free-skier. Finally got into course five years ago at age 41.... instant addiction! Wish I had started a lot younger. So 2016 ended at max speed 34 and starting to shorten. PB this year with lots of head room for next.

• Baller
My year was surprisingly great. After tearing my pectoral tendon in January and not getting to the water until Mid June I was hoping to just get back to where I was in 2015 which was running -32 80+% of the time and getting 3@35 most days. Instead I went on to run my first ever practice 35, then did that again shortly after moving to Texas, then ran it 5 more times with 4 of them being in tournament. I feel like I became technically better in addition to score improvements and couldn't be a whole lot happier after setting 3 new tournament bests this year and with a tournament best and practice best both of 1.5@38.

• Baller

Started with high hopes for getting through 38 a time or two. My skiing went into the dumper in June and finally figured out my ski was broken down in August. I'm usually fairly critical of myself so I wasn't suspecting the ski. For the first time ever I'd sold my previous ski so really didn't have a backup. I rode lots of different skis while trying to get my broke down ski replaced. That was a VERY valuable experience in that I learned some things about my skiing and how other skis behave, what I like in a ski, etc.

Finally got my ski replaced (long story) and got the setup sorted out and things are feeling good. Bought a backup ski identical to the ski I sold and it feels pretty good also.

So I feel like I'm back to where I was at the end of '15, which isn't bad considering where I've been during '16. Skied my best of the season in last week and I'm excited for '17 to get here already.

• Baller

Hmmm . . . I learned more this season than I think I've learned before. I skied on four different skis and probably 50 different set ups over the course of this season, and that alone teaches you a lot about your skiing, skis, and ski setup. I also suffered through more frustration than I have in many seasons, as a good number of those combinations just weren't quite right! As a result, it wasn't until late August/early September when I finally felt like I was on a setup that worked and was skiing like me again (meaning running 38). AFTER the BOS Austin, things got even better when I got some settings from TFin and moved back onto my 16 Vapor, which I had skied several times during August with some inconsistency. Post the BOS I have run so many 35s I couldn't count them all, and have run 38 nearly every single set (and there have been a lot of sets). This includes running 38 on November 2nd on my home lake, something I've never done in November before. Why? Usually I don't try tough passes in October and November because I don't want to get wet when the water is cold. This year, the water isn't as cold, and my skiing is just so darned good that I'm not worried about splashing!

Takeaways:

1) the right setup is a magical thing. I definitely need to keep working on maximizing what a ski can do for me.

2) getting higher on the gate is a game changer. I've always tried to get high on the boat. but, when I watched young stud Sean Hunter ski from the boat, I realized he was WAAAY higher on the boat than me. I started pushing it further and further. At this point I can say definitively that it has both made all my passes easier, and has made them all super consistent. Furthermore, it has somewhat naturally improved my handle control (I can explain that if you care), and put me more on top of my ski/tall throughout the course. I use so little energy on my passes it is just ridiculous.

So, in the end, I loved my season despite the frustrations. Sure wish I would have started the season with the set up I am on now, with the gate height I use now -- I think deep 39 is not only possible, but likely in 2017!

Finally, a shout out to all of you who have watched me ski, made suggestions, or whom I've learned from watching. There are too many of you to name, but they include my wife, @6balls, @RazorRoss3, @Horton, @skidawg, @AdamCord, @adamhcaldwell, and too many others to name. It is an awesome sport when others are so open, willing and able to make you a better skier! And that, my friends, is just one of many things I love about our sport!

• Supporting Member

Pretty pleased with my season. No PBs, although my top-end didn't suffer as much as might be expected with my focus on Mad Science (emphasis on Mad).

My big goals were to learn a lot and lay the foundation to start to add to this sport on the tech end. Oh and also have fun and get exercise along the way!

All accomplished. My days on RTP were very educational, even though my performance never got closer than a full pass off my dual-boot ability. But even crazier stuff often worked, at least to some degree. And I learned a ton about how bindings impact performance, how skis really work, and most of all tuning a setup. I also picked up some technique elements, and very late in the season I ran plenty of -35s with ease, and -38 seemed possible, which is not far off my best skiing.

Maybe most importantly, I forged a relationship with the Denali team, which seems like it's going to be a ton of fun for me for the foreseeable future!

Looking forward to 2017!!

• Baller_

This was my second season post 10 months fighting (and beating the crap out of) cancer.

I podiumed at Regionals and beat my seed in slalom, jump and overall at Nationals. I held my seed in trick; not hard to do when seeded last.

After Nationals, I moved into M6 (60 y/o) and promptly set NY state records in slalom, jump and overall.

I regained my pre-cancer ranking list average (98) on the US list. Almost there on the World list.

It's not in the book yet, but I also promoted to senior driver in slalom.

So to answer the question: Not bad. Not bad at all.

Lpskier

• Baller

Great season for me. My oldest son (9) really started advancing and running multiple passes. Next year he will be chopping the line for sure. My younger guy (7) mastered deep water starts on slalom and is on his way to a full pass in 2017 for sure.

My first year as a promo guy was a lot of fun as well. The Carbon Pro was well received throughout New England and it was a pleasure to represent such a great product.

I was skiing pretty darn good too, tied PB a couple times in practice after a few years of not getting near it. No big tournament scores but a couple of "something at 38" which beat 2015. Ended a bit early with a nasty shoulder injury in early September. Aggressive rehab and anxious for spring 2017!

• Baller

Great year !!! I started slalom summer 2014 and I got myself a Mapple T2 the end of 2015. I went to 2 tournaments this year and I got my PB at 3 at 32mph an ran 34mph in practice one time (60 year old this year) and I will improve next year. And thank's so much or the great BOS helping me to improve with all the super good comments and more.

We will finish the season next WE in Geneva Switzerland. I think waterskiers are a special breed because 99% are so nice and helping beginners like me.

• Baller

Let's see, finally bought our own ski boat so pretty much a phenomenal year.

55 hours worth of great times with the family and friends. It was awesome to finally be the guy saying, nope we don't need any gas it is just nice to pull.

Oldest daughter learned to drop a ski, with a scar to prove it isn't easy.

Middle daughter went from needing someone in the water to help her get up to being a danged edging fool!

Wife continued to get better and learned to drive.

I finally got things to click and felt like I skied like I know I should.

Got the chance to motor over to a random boat who was struggling to get kids up and offered to pull them.

Best of all we got our developmentally imparied/delayed son to ask for a short, slow ride on a tube all alone!!!!!

• Baller_

Mixed bag really. While I had a blast, scores have been a bit deflated. The blast comes from learning curves. Besting a PB once in a great while is always fun but it's once in a great while at best. And we wonder if that's it. Have we reached the end.

I've learned more this year then in all my past years combined from the Adams. Those learning curves have been fun and addicting. Completely changed my gate approach and understanding of it. That learning curve was steep, making the progress fun and addicting. Became a fin and boot setting junky and learned tons. Also fun and addicting. Attempted single Reflex and toe kick set up with some boot mods. Bad to try this in the middle of the tournament season but it became hugely fun and addicting because the learning curve went from barely being able to cross the wakes to running 70% of 32s and a few 35s inside of 5 weeks. What a blast to PB damn near every set with something that I thought would never work. Jumped back on double boots to finish out with a couple tournaments and met my average scores. Bottom line is I've had fun and it all became addicting. Much more then previous years where maybe...maaaaybe I would PB.

• Baller

Started skiing in Cali 1st week of March and by June was running -28 which I had done in 2015 a few times but this year made them at a full 34.2mph. Made the pass more often and with no back pain which tells me I am in better position too!

In early October I upgraded my 2014 Vapor to the 2017 Vapor pro with good results -manly the tips staying down with a better 1/3/5

I thought last Sat. was out last day on the lake but this one looks the same with temps in the high 70's so the stoke remains high to keep swerving well into mid November!

• Baller

First real injuries in many years made this my toughest season. Rotator cuff issues meant I didn't get the boat in until late May, course in the water by late June. Shoulder finally good after PT only, no surgery, but that was late July. Promptly injures ankle in a weird fall(first time ever ankle injury).

First tournament wasn't until late August, promptly reinjured ankle in a second round fall. Only got to 2 more tournaments, reinjured ankle again in last tournament. Out of 8 tournament rounds I only got to the purple line 2 times, so all in all not a terrible season. I was able to ski past Colombus Day but ankle is still painful, doctors next. Hoping to get back to good health for snow ski season and next yr waterski season. Last yr in M5, finding out things don't seen to heal very quickly at this age.

• Baller

I got more sets in this year than probably the last 3 combined. Met some new skiers around here and made some great friends and new partners. Improved my personal best 2 lines and 4 MPH and increased my average equally as much.

I am beyond excited for next year. These next few years are going to be prime time for me.

• Baller

Best season ever!

My 9th summer since discovering the slalom course.

4 times around 5 ball at 35 off, one good look at 6 ball.

Son now on the world ranking list, yougest daughter who wants to start competing, trip to Costa Rica planned.

Can't complain.

And...from north of the border, glad to be only a spectator to election.

• Baller
Great year. Totally healthy. Skied more sets than ever, maybe 300 this year? Learned a lot about set up and have the most dialed ski ever. Made more progress on technique and had some great sets. Tournament scores on average were down and inconsistent, think I was just in a few ruts. Skiing really well now, go figure. Greatest achievement was enjoying everything even when the scores were down. That's new for me! Great times with some fantastic people. Looking forward to next year.

• Baller

Best season ever. My back held up well after having surgery #3 in January, no PB's but I was on the water over 50 day.

The real reason it was the best season ever is my kids. My 8yo son learned to ski on 1 in June, started running the full course in July and capped his season off with his first tournament running into 21mph. He will be qualified for regionals and likely nationals. My 5yo daughter got over much of her fear and is now on 2 behind the boat. The skiing bug has bitten both of them. Can't wait until next year.

• Baller
Purchased a new to use Zero Off boat. No injuries keeping me off the water. Skied more than in recent years. Skied more consistently than anytime in the past. Continued a long running streak of teaching someone to ski (several actually). Yep, it was a great ski season.

• Baller
Cracked ribs. Rotator Cuff surgery... so, the skiing didn't go anywhere. However, my daughter had something click toward the end of the season. She no longer needs encouragement from me, she is now hooked. Even when I was gimped up, was still going to the lake to ski my daughter. It is a beautiful setting. Dead quiet, see deer grazing on the dam, surrounded by trees...my blood pressure drops just being there. I was reminded by a friend's passing to slow it down and try to enjoy every moment. Way to easy to get distracted by things that, in the big picture, really don't matter.

• Baller

First "real" season of waterskiing for me. Bought a 196 last year in October, used it once, and put it away. This year we moved to our lake place, so I got in a ton of skiing. Put 30 hours on the boat JUST skiing sets. Figure that has to be 75 sets or so. Finally getting comfortable and position is definitely improving. Video from the beginning of the year to the end of the year is vastly different.

Did a couple of "ski nights" here in MN with local slalomers. First time in a course, just to get a taste for it. Next year my goal is to run 15 off @32. Not bad for a 44 year old guy...

• Baller_
@adkh2oskier Mid 60's up north this weekend. A last opportunity to rip in '16? I was in LP this week, closed up camp and pulled the last boat. Terence left yesterday driving straight through to Colorado for two weeks training with the boys at Copper. Hope it snows.

Lpskier

Great season, got on the water exactly 100 times so far this year (with hopefully at least two more outings yet) Competed for the first time this year and even ran my first full pass ever in my first tournament.

Slalom - Tournament PB 2.5 at 32MPH. 3 @34 MPH in practice.

Trick - Got on a slalom trick for the first time. Learned all the basic surface tricks and starting wake tricks.

Jump - Went over one for the first time in 10 years. Landed a 55' jump in tournament

Barefoot - First back deep long line and made first back to front on feet shortline.

Boat - Picked up a barefoot Sanger in September. Replacing the floor now and repowering this winter.

By far one of the best seasons I've had yet and next year is looking to be even better!

I ended 2015 season with only running 32' once in Tournaments. I set a goal to run 35' in tournament rounds this season. I committed to training, coaching and new Equipment. I ran 35' off first time ever in practice in March. Got an HO VtypeR in May and ran it again on second day. Started tournaments May 14th and had 24 tournaments and 67 Rounds by last tournament in Oct.

2016 Stats:

PB - 2.5 @38'

Ran 35' - 6 times in Tournaments

Ran 32' - 39 times in Tournaments

I was frustrated because I felt I could ski better, but looking back I learned a lot and made a ton of new friends in the competitive waterski world.