Forgetting to shorten the rope ?

• Supporting Member

I'd say it's hard to get through an entire tournament day without either a wrong length or wrong speed happening once.

As a boat judge, I set and check it. As a driver, I verify it. If I have a radio, I announce it.

All of that helps, but isn't enough to absolutely 100% prevent a wrong rope length or speed.

• Baller
If you judge ,drive , or ski enough tournaments you will be the giver or reciever at least once. And with ZBS now it could be the scorer as well. Just remember if you are the reciever it wasn't intentional...

• Baller
I've seen wrong score, and as a driver come dangerously close to giving the wrong speed but caught it just in time. As said above, at the end of a long day in the boat all it takes is a distraction at the right moment and it leaves you open for error. It doesn't matter how many safety checks you put in place, there will always be room for one of those.

• Baller

We are all human. I've been both the giver and receiver over the years. My worst offense was as the boat judge at a Big Dawg stop where I forgot to shorten the rope while I was also trying to handle some of my tournament director duties on the radio. I felt awful. Fortunately, it didn't affect the skier and he still made the H2H rounds. Since then, I have learned to pace myself on the officiating side of tournaments and don't try to bite off too much.

There was a Water Ski Mag article a few years ago where they interviewed several senior judges and asked them about their worst gaffs. It was an interesting read. Unfortunately, gaffs occur at all levels within our sport. We have to remember that all the officials are volunteers that are trying to get it right. Unfortunately, sh*t happens.

• Baller
If I ski 5 tourneys a season its a lot, but in the past 20 yrs I can only remember 2 times that someone had the wrong rope length on. One on an opening pass was really strange, 15 off that I was expecting 22. Dropped and asked if the speed was 32 instead of 34 it felt so weird.

• Baller

Happened at one of the Nationals at DuQuoin, IL. Rope was left on 22 off, rather than

set back at 15 off for the next skier. The skier, or someone, complained and the boat

judge even said it had been set back to 15 off. But, there was video from the shore that

showed the error, and the skier eventually got a reride with the correct starting length.

Easily happens. It was the 12th hour of the tournament. Judge was dealing with camera issues as we lost the feed. Trying to get it straight before the timer We took off and both missed it. For me CP was my 56th skier of the day. Simply. We missed it. The score is CP's best score in 2 yrs. good to see him back in the mix. Hate that it happened but it was a long day.

• Baller
I've even seen the the rope pulled in two loops at a time. Judge was not really accustomed to real short line and if you're running your mouth instead of a one pull, give it a right and left hand pull at 38....

• Baller
The last tournament I skied before getting pregnant, we had one of the ropes where they forgot to take out the switch section. One rope was good (my rope), one bad. Threw the whole round out. It stunk, because I ran 3.5@38, on the rope that I knew was good, same as my practice score the night before. Didn't run 35 in either round after. No big deal, people make mistakes. One guy ran a score out of his mind, probably on a long rope, and was all pissed off and wanted to take a swing at the Judge.

• Baller
Well when you play sports and workout your whole life and can eat anything, including Krispy Kreme's, and then you stop the activity, hit 50, and the metabolism goes negative, it is easy to do.

• Baller
Reading a couple of these, I'm reminded of an instance in probably my 3rd tournament ever and first at our lake. This guy I knew from skiing with him some in public water was probably a deep 32 off skier, starts at 22, runs his first pass, his second pass, his third pass, his fourth pass and his fifth pass, I thinking "Wow! Kenny just ran 38 off and it looked just like his opener"...they never shortened, he ran 22 off five times before anybody caught on. Don't ask me how that happened.