How do you start?

UWSkier

• Baller

Recent thread on another site I frequent had us discussing deep water slalom starts with back foot out vs in and what feels easier for you. I've been a double boot skier for 15 years but still find dragging a leg is an easier method for several reasons. 1. ski flattens out much faster. 2. Your drag leg is a second planing surface. 3. Your drag leg is like a rudder.

Curious what the rear kicker folks think.

• Baller
Dragging my back foot I've been told by drivers I come out of the water easier than people I outweigh by 40lbs who get up two feet in. The ski is able to sit in the water at a more horizontal angle and seems to climb out of the water easier on account of that. A side effect of that is that it feels really easy on my back when compared to the few times I've gotten up both feet in just to see if I could.

• Baller

I taught skiing at a camp for several summers, many moons ago, and naturally spent a lot of time teaching deepwater starts to a lot of kids.

While there's no 100% rule, we found that, on average, guys found it easier to learn a deepwater start dragging one leg, more so the skinnier their build was. Conversely, girls/women found two-feet-in easier, more so if they were more 'solidly built' women. Learning two-feet-in requires more energy, but it comes from your quads and your core.

However, once you've mastered either/both, you can start modifying your technique to make it less physically demanding, whichever you choose. I ski with one guy who's been doing one-foot starts for decades, but he still fights the boat and exhausts himself. Conversely, another guy taught me to collapse/stop-resisting-at-all with my upper body on two-feet-in starts (which is NOT how I'd teach it to a beginner), and ever since, my starts require half the energy.

But ultimately, yes, chicks dig hop-dock starts ;-)

• Baller

I learned to ski with a rear kicker and always started with my back foot in the toe slip. I am now on double boots, but the transition was seamless for me because of how I learned to ski.

I recently skied on a buddies ski with a RTP and still got up with both feet in. Never tried getting up with a dragging foot. I guess I just never had a need to...

• Baller
Can't remember the guy's name, but an ex- girlfriend of mine was EXTREMELY impressed by a Mexican team tricker who started in a back toehold position from the dock. So at least she really dug dock starts...

• Baller
Started w a kicker a half century ago, went to double boots and then back to a kicker. Kicker I find is easier on my lower back getting up. Also at my course I can sort of Beach Start since the water is between 3.5' and 4.5' deep, and a couple of the man made tournament ponds also. Makes for a bit more time to get the back foot kicked in on the short set ups.

• Baller

"Learned by dragging a leg, managed to pull my groin on back leg a couple times, (going when wasn't really ready and too dumb to let go) made the switch to 2 feet in, then been double boots for the last 20+ year"

After I pulled my groin twice a few years ago(trying to break in a new boat driver) I switched to double boot. Only way I take off now.

• Baller

Olden days, dragged a leg, behind small boats. Needed planing surface.

When I was a teen and considered myself "good" because I could put up a big spray, beach start in lower mid calf water. Some dock starts but we usually skied from a beach.

From 1980 forward, double boot.

So, my answer is that I think girls, and guys too so I am not sexist, like dock starts.

• Baller

Interesting people say they've pulled groins on single leg starts. The way I've always done those is start out feeling like you're doing the splits, but once the boat starts, just let your back leg relax. Groin pull would indicate people are pushing down with the back leg against the water.

Also interesting what @andjules says about physiology playing a part. I'm about 30 pounds heavier now than I was when I was regularly starting with a foot out. Wonder if I went back to that if it'd feel as effortless as I recall. :smile:

• Baller
I started with back foot out. Used a ski that had a toe loop with heel cup, would then stuff my back foot in and go. I found my front leg hamstring would get so sore I could barely walk. Changed to both feet in and now use double boots. Sometimes when messing around on the "boat ski" I will one foot just to see if I still can.

• Baller

Have a double boot but if I am on a trick ski I usually drag my foot. If I fall on my last pass sometimes I will pull the rear foot out of my double boot and ski in on one. I think getting up while dragging is easier as long as my driver gives me a softer pull up.

• Baller

I never learned how to drop a ski. If I recall I tried and tried and failed but in hindsight didn't have any real instructions.

Ended up getting up on 1 and quickly found by at least resting my back foot near the RTP I could control the start easier and resist the boats pull better. So I've always started with 2 feet in and have been dbl boots for 20 years since I was a kid.

• Baller

I can do drag-single leg or both feet in just as easy with my rtp. I drag cuz it's less energy for me. My son always starts with both feet in.

My brother tore his hammy last summer dragging his rear leg. He may be forever done with skiing.

• Baller
Ive been evaluating my start trying to save my back a little. I thought about trying to drag a foot, but some of the tight set-ups I ski don't leave much time to get that foot in before its time to pull out, or navigate a tight turn.

• Baller
@jetpilotg4 Yeah. It's also a good way for us northerners to not freeze in the cold when skiing open water. I used to hop dock start, ski around the lake, then ski back to the dock, sitting down on it. Never submerged.

Learned to start dragging a leg because the boat I learned behind did not have enough power, but I am double boot now and all the boats Ski behind have more than enough power. I also learned to shore start on the Colorado river near Needles Ca., so I have kinda covered most all starts.

• Baller

I have always been a dragger. A couple of years ago I did a few starts with both feet in because of a couple of tournament sites we have with short setups but I found it was harder on me (I was a pretty good sized guy back then) and frankly I get my foot kicked in before the boat is up to speed.

My son drags also although he fools around with both feet in on his trick ski. When he was young April Coble had him try a double boot and he couldn't get up. I am pretty sure he could get up now but he is still a dragger.

• Baller
@braindamage The geezers from around the point with the older Gray MasterCraft are like that too. You always see them skiing in circles to drop their old farts in the shallow water for them to hop start. Hate when they're out. Thrash the whole lake (like this morning...)

I learned with a kicker with both feet in the ski, know I am using a Reflex r-type so I have to start with both feet in. I have never tried to start dragging a leg but this thread is making me curious enough to try it and see what it is all about

Learned with a kicker and back foot in, could never get the hang of dragging. Switched to double boots due to ankle problems. There was a lot of swearing the first few sets! Then I decided I need to lift my heel a bit on the start, made it much easier.

• Baller

I've always started both feet in even when I was using a ski with a toe plate. Now I'm in double boots so no choice. I wouldn't do well behind a boat with inadequate power, but as soon as I feel pressure on the ski I drive my rear foot into the water and make the boat do the work. This seems to make the ski more stable until I get my body drag out of the water. I'm 6'2" 215# BTW.

I tried for 3 or 4 boat sessions when I first learned to deep water start trying different methods and the one-foot dragging method only lead to spectacular amounts of lake water being ingested. Maybe I'm not coordinated enough...

• Baller
tried double boot this week and couldn't get up....weirdly enough i switched feet and could get up on my opposite foot. I switch feet every year for a couple runs just for practice and such but double boot is tough( atleast for my strong side LOL)....find it interesting how even the spread out is on this poll.

Dragging is great for weak boats that take a long time to get up to speed, it allows you to create a very low friction situation for the boat. I perfected it behind a 50hp outboard long time ago.. you have to.. But two years ago I switched to both feet in (and to a 196), both on trick and slalom. It takes a bit of getting used to until the technique improves and everthing feels normal again. But by now I prefer it. It spreads the load across both legs and hips. Dragging is great for weak boats, for the powerhouses better keep both feet in.

• Baller
Dragger for over 40 years but last summer went to double boot just to see if it helped with rear foot stability and better control. It's not as easy to get up as dragging in my opinion but I do feel the rear boot helps with control. Maybe it's just a mental thing. The good news is I'm fine getting up either way

• Baller

Option for dropping one is needed!

I learned by dropping a ski, but ski in double boot ever since. Learned how to deep water start in double boot also, can't imagine using a RTP, no interest here anyways.