Lucky Board Shorts?

bishop8950

• Baller

1) Do you have a pair of lucky shorts?

2) Have you ever or would you wear a brand new "never tested" pair of shorts in a tournament?

This weekend I had my first tournament of the year. The first round I wasn't mentally ready and went down 6 buoys short of the goal. In the next round I changed it up mostly mentally, but also busted out a brand new pair of shorts (never tested). I ran my hardest pass and skied just short of my PB. So, should these shorts become my lucky tournament only shorts? So far, they are perfect.

• Baller

No No No ! Shorts are Shorts, the only thing I will say is that I see people skiing in Shorts that are either too long or too baggy, which means that they catch the water or you end up with a air brake in windy conditions.

I used to ski with a Guy, at competitions if he put the left glove on before the right without thinking, he used to go ballistic and wonder why he skied so badly.

I suffer from nerves etc, just recently I have worked on staying relaxed, No Head Games, it,s working really well at the moment.

@bishop8950 somebody with your experience, I am surprised that you are even going there, unless you are having a bit of fun.

Yeah this has to be a wind up?

• Baller
I am having fun but I bet a lot of skiers are superstitious. I dont put stock into lucky shorts but I did think about not testing new shorts in a tournament. I did it mainly for the mind set of "no matter what, I am going to run 39, new shorts - who cares".

• Baller

You bet itdxijt3dck5y.jpg

do !!!

Right there,live pic as they are resting from this morning sets the blue and white O Neill!

Those are the magic shorts. They never fail me...(almost).

That's how the deck ramp looks like here all season long...

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

@Bill22

Love the gloves,hate the velcros.

Don't know if there was a bad batch or what but bought 6 pairs last year for 4 different skiers and they all have problems staying put.

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

Glove Problem, use Snaps/Press Studs, to keep them in place, Simples, then you can have Lucky Shorts and Lucky Gloves, don't forget the Lucky Crash Vest.

Had a Guy turn up at our lake, full of how he used to ski, (5 years ago) could he have a go, he had no gear with him, he was what we call, a bit of a geezer ( somebody who has done all sorts of things, but you never know if it's true or not) so we went through a couple of slalom skis that had been discarded, he grabbed a ski and said that will do, found some worn out gloves, gave him a life jacket, at this point we are thinking, is he going to make the deep water start, this is going to be hard work, so ski on, in the water, he says when ever you are ready, well you just wouldn't believe it, straight up and through the course on what I would consider to be a piece of junk with sloppy bindings.

He didn't need Luck, just self belief.

• Baller

I have tournament boardies. Black with thin white stripes making relatively large squares. Andy Mapple had a pair.

Before they were my tournament boardies...it would seem I would hit big practice scores in 'em but I didn't pay a lot of attention. I then had a really good tourney and wore them again and had a few more with a PB.

Somehow, after that season, they lost all of their power!

• Baller
I wouldn't say I have lucky shorts but I certainly know that the wrong pair can make you look like an idiot when you drink half the lake before you get up cause they've ballooned out and are dragging like a water bomber!

• Baller_

To the chagrin of many, I wear a speedo under my board shorts. No speedo = "free balling."

I haven't seen Nate ski in anything other than the multi-color block pair of 69 Slams in a long time. Maybe he has ten of them? My guess is that they are his lucky shorts.

A related question might be: Have you ever changed under a towel in a public place while speaking with a person of the opposite sex that you have only just met?

Lpskier

• Baller

I don't have a pair of "lucky" boardies but I do have some that fit a little better and I know are comfortable. I don't think I would wear a brand new pair unless they were the same brand, model and size as another pair I have.

• Baller
I have 2 pairs of identical O'Neill neo shorts (1.5mil) and two identical pairs of Patagoinia shorts that go over the neo shorts, I alternate between the two setups so I always have a dry pair of each. No drag out of the water and no futzing with the shorts during your setup. Comfortable and no crotch-related issues or exposure, still stylish with the shorts while being functional. Best combo I've found to date.

• Baller
I consider any pair that doesn't balloon on takeoff lucky. Right now I have one pair of O'Neills that fit the bill and another supposedly identical pair (except the color) that catch every time- go figure...

• Baller
Well, I used the perfect shorts in practice and went down early so that's over. No worries, I am not really a lucky shorts guy. Good news is they fit perfectly. Right waste and length and the don't bag water at all. They are Oniell Hyperfreaks and I like the stretchy material. All of my boardies have that.

• Baller
I am partial to the Hyperfreaks and the Hurley Phantoms to ski in. There are lots of good stretchy shorts now though. For just hanging out I like the Quicksilvers with the dobby diamond interior they don't chafe at all but are a little heavier than the Phantoms and Hyperfreaks.