NRG?

DaveD

• Baller
I saw two skiers on NRG's at a tournament a couple of weeks ago. They looked pretty much the same with comprable scores to what they had been running. They said they liked the ski, but they didn't rave about it. One's description was "a blending of some of the attributes of Goode skis."

• Baller
I rode a prototype a few weeks back. I'm hoping to make the switch after nationals. The ski definitely turned for me with little effort. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I felt like overall I was skiing with less effort and less load on the line. I tend to ride a bit back in the turn and sometimes dip my shoulders to get a ski to turn. On this ski I was able to stay more upright and level in the turn and the ski came right around for me. As for settings, I can't remember where the fin was on all the settings. I know the depth was at 2.504 which was much deeper than I'm running my depth on my Arc-S. Give it a try!

• Baller
I rode the NRG yesterday and it felt so good that I decided to make the switch right before Nationals. Hopefully this risky move will pay off next week. Here are my settings: 66", bindings at 29 9/16" to front. Fin: 6.964, 2.4695, .728, wing 7 degrees. A few other people tried them at a lake near my house yesterday and 2 of them bought the ski on the spot.

• Baller
I am surprised the NRG isn't getting more attention. This year I started on a Nano One then went to a 2017 HO V Type R. I have had the opportunity to try for several days a D3 ARC, Goode Rev 6 and the D3 NRG. I really like the NRG. You always have the feeling its right underneath you with no surprises. People talk about it being a "tailrider" ski and it will not penalize you there but you are better off up on the balls of your feet. More so than any ski this year it allows you to concentrate on technique during the pass. I adjusted the fin long and shallow and short and deep and the ski just works. I ended up at 6.884, 2.505 & .745. I always thought the Nano One was the easiest ski to get up on but the NRG is even easier.

• Baller

I got to ride a 68 last night. Perhaps a 67 would be better since I'm at 190lb right now.

To me, it feels nothing like a Goode. It feels more like the new Vapor, except more forgiving and less twitchy.

IMO:

-quick pivot turn instead of carving

-decent amount of forgiveness if you end up on tail. Not so much on the tip.

-low effort cross-course

-carries speed well

-do the right things past the 2nd wake and space/width is easy to attain.

So it was different, and can't say I HAVE to go buy one after 1 set, but I give it a thumbs up.

• Baller

Coming directly from the Rev6 to the NRG this morning I have to say the skis have zero in common. The Rev6 rides deep and slow and turns very dependably and drawing a wide path always while forgiving egregious errors. The NRG feels like it rides really high in the water and runs with very low effort. Certainly the oddest feeling ski I've tried in the past few years, and I've tried a lot of them (Quest, ARC, Rev6, S2, Vapor). This ski is a different animal which I find intriguing. Does remind me a little bit of the 16 Vapor but I could push the Vapor, and I can't push this ski. Any time pushed this ski I was swimming. I tried the bindings right at 30" on the 67, am going to try one hole back which is approx. 29.75 and see how that goes. Fin is at stock numbers. I'm skiing 34mph 22-32 off.

First set today with the NRG was a missed opener (first missed opener on a new ski in any recent memory), then got the opener. Fell at 22/34, then ran it OK. Cut to 28 (a 85% pass) fell at 1, fell at 1, then fell at 3. Really narrow to 1 at all times. There are glimmers of things I like with this ski so I'm going to continue to play with it- D3 definitely did something different here. Which could be good!

• Baller
Moving the bindings back 1 hole to 29.75 changed everything on this ski. I can say without hesitation it's the best ski I've been on so far after that change. Super smooth, super stable, super forgiving and comes through on both sides like crazy. It seems to have everything I like in a ski blended together nicely. And @Booze is right, it has a lot of Rev6 characteristics. I can feel that now. Can't wait to see where this thing will take me in 2018. Highly recommended.