Tournament skiers- we aren't all pros

Ilivetoski

• Baller
I was talking to some friends of mine last week when we were skiing in the morning. Two good skiers who can get into 32 off, and one of them can run it on occasion. I started talking and asking why they don't ski tournaments, not trying to get reasons and tell them why those reasons weren't valid, but really trying to understand why they thought tournaments weren't for them. Because personally I couldn't dedicate this amount of time to skiing and not compete. The answer I got from both of them was "we don't get into 35 and 38 off so there would be no point.". So I did some digging on USAWS ranking list, of the nearly 400 M1 slalom skiers (400 could be slightly off but its pretty close), only about 45 have a buoy average of 1 or more at 35 off. Move up to 1 @ 38 off the number is closer to 20. I want to share this with not only my friends, but with anyone else who is thinking they "just aren't good enough" to compete who might be reading this. I don't have an impressive buoy average, but I hate missing tournaments and I'm positive that 90% of tournament skiers share this view. Plus its really fun to watch those few who do get into 38 and 39!!

• Baller_
Maybe your friends do not want to be 50th or below on a list. I know plenty of skiers that feel the same way about tournaments. We go, we ski, and then look at the rankings list several days if not weeks later on the USA Waterski web site to see we are 50th or below on a little chart. Not saying everyone needs a trophy but if you're not into the social end of the tournament scene, it's just an all day wait fest for some short rides just to see your name on a list sometime later. Add the $$$s just to participate and there ya go...valid and reasonable reasons not to go. Lot's of guys and gals can tell how they are doing/advancing without taking up weekends and $$s to do so. Anyone want to take a stab at the percentage of course skiers not skiing in tournaments?. Pretty sure we are out numbered sad to say. Take any given club. Whats the percentage of tournament participants to just club skiers?. Now think about all the 15 and 22 offers or the slower speed skiers. Not much out there for them at all....or so they may feel.

• Baller
Well I don't ski near that and still do tournaments. I do it for the fun, the people, the atmosphere, and most of all to push myself to improve. I do great in practice, but it is very hard to have that same mindset standing on a tourney dock. I am new to the scene and sure it will wear off one day. No one cares if you are skiing ZBS, 15off or less. Love watching people get into 35, 38, even 39.5 at local tourneys. We have people who don't ski them and as long if they are having fun when at the lake that is all that matters. If people don't ski the tournaments because they don't get into 35 or 38 then they are missing out on a great time no matter what. Just ski, and do what you do for that addiction for being on ski and ripping some turns!

• Baller
@Wish I understand, but almost every tournament skier started there. Not a whole lot of skiers start getting into tournaments when they are skiing into 35 and 38 off. I know I didn't, and ever since my first tournament when I was running 28 mph I, personally, was hooked. Also when you go to the tournaments, especially starting out, A LOT of people who are advanced skiers are willing to give you very good advice. My first nationals Chris Rossi made a point to stand on shore and watch me and give me feedback after I got done skiing. I wasn't at all in contention for being on the podium, but I had a pro skier taking time paying attention to where the running order was and watching me ski and give me his opinion. I was 13 or 14 at the time and thought that was the coolest thing ever.

• Administrators

To me tournaments are certified scores. I ran 38 in practice Saturday night and then got 1.5 and 3 in a tournament today. The 38 I ran does not count in my book. My best "Certified Score" for the year is 4 @ 38.

It does not matter your level. Tournament scores are official and practice is practice.

• Baller
If I get to the point that I think I can qualify for nationals I'll probably ski more tournaments. I work ever other weekend so really don't want to spend my weekends off at a tournament. I used vacation time for the BOS cash prize last year. That was fun, I'd ski in that again.

• Baller
@Horton I agree with what you say, but I also think that attitude can drive some people away from the tournament scene. Saying "It doesn't matter what you can do daily, on different sites behind different boats with different drivers. It only matters if its in a tournament" personally if someone told me that before my first tournament I might not have gotten into it. I don't really know a better way to say it either, but I would never tell someone I am trying to get into tournaments that their practice scores don't count. I tend to say more "you just ran 3@32 off, no reason you can't do it behind a new boat and a senior driver"

• Baller_
Do we need official tournaments to say how we are doing compared to ourselves? Since the 50th or below crowd basically has no other measure then looking at their below 50th on a list compared the the last 50th or below spot they held, one wonders the point of spending the dollars and time...so I get it and their reasoning. If I'm 1 to 2 buoys close to my average at diff sites with diff boats, drivers and conditions, that says something. Heck, look at the people who post here that they ran a 28 or 32 or 35 for the first time in practice. They get post after post of accolades because it does matter and is advancement. No posts of ...meh.. your score was just practice...doesn't count. Personally I look forward to going to certain sites and skiing with guys and gals I know. Or a the tournaments like BOS or Andys that made the format different, interesting and above all...fun. But those are rare.

• Baller
The great thing about this sport is the fact that it is skier against the course pretty much the same the world over, you can go out on any given day and ski against yourself if you choose to do so. On that day the course will tell me how I'm skiing so I'm not fussed one way or the other about tournaments and although I don't have a clue what the numbers say I'm guessing I'm part of the majority.

• Baller

@Wish My argument is not that we need official scores to say how we are doing. I am a skier who can get into 35 off. I ski at a private lake with a course that is surveyed, with a senior and a regular driver if I ever feel the need to ski with them (I ski with my dad 90% of the time who isn't a tournament driver but can drive me straight no problem). Outside of being in a fraternity tournament skiing is the biggest social scene I have ever seen. Ive met 2 of my best friends though tournaments and eventually the plan (very poorly planned, btw) is for us all to live on the same lake one day. I wouldn't ski on a private lake if not for tournaments, I wouldn't even have an inboard if not for tournaments. If I get to see some skiers I don't see a whole lot, and get a tip or two on what I did wrong in round X, its a successful tournament for me.

I agree that the numbers are lop sided towards people who don't ski tournaments. We have a boat on a private lake where pretty much everyone skis tournaments. We also own an older boat on a public lake not far from us where 5 of about 30 active members ski tournaments (not including us because we rarely ever ski there). If we got that whole ski club to ski in tournaments (unrealistic, I know but just for arguments sake) we would more than double the number of tournament water skiers in KY

• Baller
I've been going to tournaments from the beginning at 15off 26mph..the people are great, the encouragement is great. Everyone is there do improve their performance regardless of level. Yes, sometimes things don't go as planned, but that is competition!!! love skiing, love sport, love competition and goals?? tournaments are fun..all what you make of it.

• Baller_
I just don't think you're going to get those 30 skiers by pointing out social elements. They are happy doing what they do. The social end of a tournament is great but when you're already reluctant based on what you feel are certain standards, happy with what social scene of skiing you're in and happy with how you gauge your own progression, saying a tournament has a better or next level social aspect they should experience and pay for is a tough sell. Not trying to dissuade you and this thread might be helpful. Heck, I have tried to convince a 3 eventer (would easily place top 10 in Nationals for his age) to compete...nope. What may be missing is a bridge between a class C tournaments and home practice that makes it a bit more lagit. What I do find as a deterrent is...."practice does not count". It puts a big Scarlett Letter of ..your less of a skier for not entering a tournament or having an older boat or having PP ...stamped on your forehead. It is an ora of elitism that diminishes the very social aspects you speak of. Odds are good that even something that bridges home practicde to tournaments would get looked down upon as irrelevant. That 3 eventer..ya he matches me buoy for buoy, jumps over 150 and tricks..well I don't really know but wow. He is a waaaaaaaaayyyyy better skier then me ..period.. and he does not need to prove it by having ZO or going to a tournament. And he's happy.

• Baller

I never understood why some skiers say they won't ski a tournament until they can make 'x' pass.

In my view, those that do not go to tournaments are missing out on an opportunity to accelerate their learning curve. Sitting on the shore/tower and watching the better/technically correct skiers is invaluable. Engaging in conversation about technique is important too and is readily available during tournaments.

Go there with the purpose to get better, challenge yourself, and try to learn from those that are more skilled than you.

It's an opportunity if you're up for it.

• Baller

I certainly enjoy tournament skiing as my personal challenge, place to socialize with a lot of great folks from a lot of areas with a common interest, talk about skiing and life. Skill does not matter, it's about fun, friendship and there are a bunch of side competitions. I always seem to find someone, regardless of their and my division, and we enjoy that one on one or one on some group competition. I do find it interesting that some folks tell me they don't like to spend the whole day or weekend at the lake but when you see them on their home lake, they spend hours there, not sure there is any difference.

I started skiing late in life, 46 years old, went to my first tournament without running a pass. But the friendships I made are wonderful and I would not trade for anything (well maybe for running 38 :-) ). Now I have learned how to prepare mentally and what works for me. Over the years continuing to improve and now get in to 35 off. I've spent a lot of time learning, spent a number of weekends at tournaments and found them very fulfilling to me. Now my wife and grandchildren go with me regularly, not skiers, but also like the people and the relaxing, laid back atmosphere.

Everyone has there ways to relax and get away from day to day challenges, I find these tournaments a great place to learn and grow, in many ways, not to mention giving me invaluable interpersonal skills for my professional life.

• Baller

Coming only from the perspective of one thinking about his first tournament, I think @Wish makes some really good points. I still want to try, as having something mildly competitive makes me train better. Like entering a fun run, or a 10-12k running race. And I do understand that only tournament results from a sanctioned event count with regard to the records of the governing body.

I have heard others talk about the waiting around for very little ski time as being an issue too. I think that is just hard. Ski runs don't last long, but take a while to get set up for each skier, I would guess. As opposed to a running race where when the gun goes off, everyone is running at their own pace, pushing themselves together.

I am intending to go to the local grass roots event this fall as a bridge to an actual sanctioned tournament later. I had hoped for an actual entry this year, but I am just not there yet at this point. The grass roots is still giving me something to shoot for. So kinda is that bridge for me. YMMV.

• Baller

The phrase "practice doesn't count" should be illegal. I understand how it is meant, sure you can do it on your home boat, on your home site, with your home boat crew, but what about when the pressure is on? But every time I read it all I can think is "wow does that sound condescending. I'm a score chaser, and during the season I keep an eye on the rankings list because I like seeing myself climb it but lately I'm also cracking the top 20 of the list which is a little more exciting that cracking the top 50. If some 38 off skier goes up to someone working through speeds or just cracking into their first -22s in practice and says "practice doesn't count" they are more likely to scare that skier away from ever going to a tournament than convincing them to try one since it just sounds like "your skiing isn't as valuable as mine because I ski tournaments".

If we want to make tournament skiing more inviting we might have to stop measuring our you know whats by how many class R tournaments we ski every year and go back to doing it with a ruler like everyone else. And if anyone feels like they are coming up short I can forward you an email from a spambot about magic pills for that problem ;)

I think as skiers we need to watch our own egos a little bit, especially as we start being the skiers who are getting those buoys deep into 35 or better. When we start hitting that mark we can make the biggest difference from bringing new skiers in but we can also make the biggest difference in scaring them away.

• Baller_
You learn a lot from the skiers that you meet up with at events. From ski set up, new ideas on equipment and technique to finding a new quality IPA you have not had. You will get better faster by being involved.

• Baller

@Horton - you've done some reader surveys in the past, what did you determine to be the readership % who can run 35 off vs those below (or other line drawn by the survey questions)? Overlay that onto the % of readership who have memberships in organized competition (AWSA/USAWS/IWWF). IIFC, the significant majority of the BOS audience (lurkers probably, too) are under 35 off.

Regarding should skiers compete if not highly ranked - yes. But, the opportunities are more local. Maybe they are a regional competitor, or a State championship competitor. Start with the goal of making a state podium. Also, the goal can be to display the ranking list limited to your state or your region. 10th best in the state sounds pretty cool. That score varies with skier density. It may be tough on CA/FL/TX or other areas think with competitive clubs/sites/pros, etc. But other areas it may be quite enticing to pursue such goals.

• Baller

I started out skiing about 15 years ago with a guy that was completely down on tournament skiing. We used to joke about people going to tournaments and paying to do what we were doing for the price of gas. I skied with him for around 7-8 years before skiing my first tournament in support of the ski club at my lake site. Meh, the tournament was just another few sets with some different people. Didn't really do much for me. I did decide to try to qualify for nationals since my scores were pretty close. That motivated more tournaments for me but I still wasn't really hooked. Met a few people but really didn't feel too involved.

Then my job took me to Shreveport and started skiing at Cottonwood with @jdarwin, Jim Morton, @teammalibu and Karen, and @skidawg and his family. Karen put us to work and got my wife and my paperwork together to be officials. Joes tournaments were really well attended by folks from all over the region. That's when the social aspect really came into play for me. Maybe it was being in a new town and forging new friendships with serious tournament skiers, being more involved in the tournaments, whatever.

This summer we were at a tournament more weekends than not and had a great time. The people is why we go. "Practice doesn't count" is ridiculous because practice means different things to different people. I know the difference as a skier. When I go out in practice with a driver I know can drive straight and I run straight down the line then I'll claim that score. It doesn't go on the ranking list, which is ok, but that score tells me how I'm doing. If I'm out hacking away at my hardest pass and finally get a good ways down it I don't claim that score. That's just me trying to get better. Scores I would claim in practice are pretty equal to my tournament scores, maybe a little worse since I don't practice my hardest pass as much in practice.

But the elitist comment is right on with "Practice doesn't count". It's a large part of the reason my original ski partner hated tournament skiing, the elitist perception. Should also be said I've never heard those words uttered at a tournament to a another skier, unless in jest among friends. I've only ever seen and heard encouragement and helpful advice.

Oh, and RIP Cottonwood.

• Supporting Member

I really want everyone to know that the only "you must be this good to play" line is being able to consistently run any pass in the slalom course.

I started skiing tournaments when 34/-15 was a great accomplishment for me, and what I got out of it was a ton of great experiences and a huge improvement in skill. (Indeed I am now part of that -35/-38 group!)

There are many valid reasons to not ski tournaments. My own priorities are quite different right now than they once were, and I'm just skiing one per year. But I really want to shout from the mountaintops that being a "top performer" is absolutely not required to get a TON of benefit from tournament participation!!

• Baller

I think it is short sighted of someone to write off skiing tournaments if they have never skied one. I spent most of the day at a tournament yesterday even though I couldn't ski. There were 46 skiers there for slalom ranging from mid 38 capable skiers (only 2 of them) to adults running below max speeds and kids of varying skill sets.

It was a fun and supportive environment for every skier. There was exchange between all the skiers and lots of learning for skiers at all levels. People stopped and watched skiers of all levels and cheered for PBs and good skiing at all levels.

Social is certainly part of it but the challenge of skiing when it counts is something that I enjoy tremendously and if you have never done it before is a unique experience.

I would always try to get someone to come join you at one tournament. If you don't enjoy it or find it worthwhile after you try one fine. I have introduced multiple skiers at different levels to tournament skiing here in the east and they have become regulars.

The people I have met at tournaments have become great friends. I don't see an elitist angle from anyone in the eastern region everyone has been very welcoming and friendly.

If there is a tournament that you can get to fairly easily I would say check it out and don't be afraid to ski. Ask questions the people I have met at local tournaments, regionals and nationals (I was a spectator my son was the skier) have all been open, friendly and welcoming. I almost always leave a tournament knowing more about skiing than I did before I got there.

• Baller

I hate to say everyone has to be too PC about it. I love joking around with my buds doing whatever we do, be it snow skiing, mountain biking, and to a lesser extent for me, water skiing. To me, that is part of the experience. Lesser because I am just less qualified and have less to talk smack about.

But, I have learned over the years that even words in jest among friends as @ski6jones references can turn off some people, especially people like my wife, my brothers' wives, and I am sure other spouses and family members. It is a fast track to you are skiing by yourself, cave man. Not being sexist here, just observing. If the goal is more participation, and for a lot of us that means including families, then the event has to be inviting for all family members who have a say about attending or not attending.

So, I would think that what goes on on the dock amongst the competitors, needs to stay out on the dock, and not within ear shot of someone who might get turned off by that humor.

I do plan on entering as I said above this year. I am personally looking forward to the experience.

• Baller
Getting great scores in a tournament is one of the best feelings out there, but I don't just go to tournaments for scores. Getting to travel to new places, new lakes; meeting new people from all over, that's what its all about. I'll tell you I wouldn't be the skier I am today if I didn't ski tournaments, all the people that have helped me through the years, they add up. Plus skiing with people as good or better than you pushes you. Just another way of looking at it.

• Baller_

I think this is worse for kids. Yes there are locations where tournaments are a family thing and kids get lots of good positive encouragement and attention but the spread in talent within the same devisions can have adverse affects. @Luzz I'm sure can speak to this. If there's so much spread between the top kid and the bottom, why even compete?...as the kid might think. Hard to keep them interested just so they can see his/her name near the bottom of a rankings list. They know full well they will never catch up to the middle of the pack let alone high levels before aging out and upping the speed. These kids all start at diff ages with diff levels of access to the sport. Best of the best even have pro parents. Is a tournament still a social event for them?..maybe. Even hope so. It's imperative they stay in the sport. I've always thought the loss of the "novice devision" was a mistake. Skied lots of tourneys in MN as a young man in novice. Was a big day for me when I skied out of novice and into a standard devision. Stay in ability bassed novice competition till you ski a certain set score and then get placed in a devision. It all happens with the class C tournament of the day. No age and no sex devisions for novice skiers. Just skiers skiing against like ability skiers. Hard to believe this would not up participation and maybe get those 30 skiers on that public lake to give it a go. It's a bridge.

@OB1 last tournament I was in, my goal was 3 outa 3 rounds running 35. 2 outa 3 ain't bad. It was the least disappointed I've ever been. In some ways, the pressure is off...I may even ski better now haha...

• Baller
I started skiing tournaments when i was skiing at maybe 26 or 28mph 15 off, I wasn't going to place or win any tournaments but I still went. Tournaments allow you to get into a different mode, trying to push yourself while remaining calm and not letting the pressure of it being a tournament get to you. I have met some of the nicest people in tournament water skiing and have gone to many different sites. Some of my best friends are tournament water skiers and I enjoy getting to go hang out with them and getting to ski at different lakes.

• Baller

I signed up for USAWS this year for the first time. Have yet to sign up for a tournament.

I get other people like to compete with the ranking list, or have a certified score or the social aspect. That makes sense to me and I respect that.

The reason I don't compete at a tournament is I compete with my ski buddies. We all push each other to do better. I'm happy enough leaving skiing with my buddies knowing I took the title that night. Someone else might get it the next night. That is fun for me. I don't really care where I fall in the rankings nationwide. I have looked at the rankings and know I am not even close. Not that taking home the title is everything, but when you know you are in the bottom 1/3 it is kinda futile to compete in my eyes. I'd rather spend my time having fun at the lake screwing around with friends.

Different strokes for different fokes. If I can be happy running practice sets with my friends what incentive do I have to ski a tournament?

• Supporting Member

@BrennanKMN Answer: 10x as many "ski buddies."

You can decide how much value that would bring, but to me it's been great. Even as a generally antisocial engineer, skiing with people all over the region (and in some cases country) is a social interaction that I deeply enjoy. The vast majority of those contacts would never have been made without skiing tournaments for 20 years.

• Baller
I'm super pumped about my ranking jump 16 places! Even if I'm ranked 160, I'm excited to ski tournaments. If I'll just ski more consistently, I can break into the top 100 on my current ability. And, if I work harder, and get better, who knows. That's huge to me. I'm only beating me here, but I love doing it out there with everyone at the tournaments.

• Baller

If I could get some good fishing in from shore between sets, I think I'd be all in. Sharing time and learning from like minded people is nice, but it gets a just a tad boring. I need to see 39.5 go down, or I need to be catching some nice size bass while chilling.

Practice may not count, but it's still freaking gratifying!

• Baller

I skied tournaments for 20 years. Although I no longer compete, I still go to a few to keep my SR driver's rating current. I can tell you that the camaraderie is far more prevalent than the heat of competition. Also, the overall experience, for me, was an amazing one. I had the opportunity to travel around the country and visited places I never would have seen. I met great people who did nothing but encourage me from the first event I ever participated in, right up until the last. I would not have come close to being the skier I became without competing. As hard as I trained, and gave it 110% at the tournaments, I had SO much fun, and still enjoy the company of so many people I met along the way. By the way, Than B actually looks exactly like the photo on in the upper left of his postings.

Than would often times be the boat judge while I was driving in tournaments. We would be having so much fun and laughing in the boat, that a certain tournament director told me he was going to schedule us separately as he feared that I couldn't possibly keep the boat straight while laughing that hard:0

• Baller

I did a couple INT tournaments. I was very hesitant to do it, but Steve Garrity took my friend and I out before hand, showed us the ropes, and I found it to be a very supportive atmosphere.

I was going to enter a tournament this weekend in Oakham, MA, but helping out a friend was more important, so I decided to go up as a spectator. I kick myself in the arse for not grabbing my ski as I would have had enough time to do both.

My kids and I got to witness some great skiing. There was a positive, supportive atmosphere that I was worried would be lacking.

Few reasons I found for why I WOULD do it:

1) People were really supportive, offering tips and encouragement...and a little good natured ribbing

2) My kids got to see other kids doing it, and I think that helps them say...ya...I could do that!

3) As a person who skis on a public course with 'varying' conditions, it is cool to get a pass on ideal conditions with a new boat.

So, even though I am struggling to get my first 28mph pass at 40 years old...I would still happily drag my ass to a tournament.

• Baller

@Chef23 It is people like him that get people like me into the sport. A little hand holding goes a long way! :)

I was on the shore with my 2 kids, I also ski with Randy, I tell him all the time that he is what I want to be when I grow up...in his 70s and still chasing...love it!

• Baller
I've read every post on this thread and see both sides of the coin. I got started like most of you. Just skiing on a public lakes and rivers. Encountered a slalom course and thought I'd give it a try. Met people who could ski the course and got advice. Then I started watching "Hot Summer Nights". I got curious about tournaments and found some within reasonable drive time. I mostly wanted to watch but then decided to enter. I went several tournaments without running a pass, but because I enjoyed the atmosphere and meeting skiers, I kept going. Then a chief judge asked me if I wanted to learn judging. I thought, I'm watching anyway, so.... That was 30 years ago and I just attended my 30th consecutive State Championship. I went 15 years without placing, but eventually started winning on occasion, but that's not what kept me going back. It was the people. I've seen skiers come and go, recently sadly enough, more going than coming but some are still around and we have forged close friendships that would have never happened had I not been at least interested in tournaments. I became a Senior Judge and Senior Driver. I can say I've judged at Nationals and met more friends. I've boat judged and seen Nate run 41 off, twice from the boat. I've driven him to mid 41 ( this was before 41 was so common for him). So no boasting on any of this, but I've had some experiences that no one could have had, if I had not become involved with the tournament scene. I have no regrets for all the time I spent at tournaments. I do still look to see where I'm at in the rankings, even though I continue to go downward. Just my story.

• Baller
@LeonL, YES, what Leon said. Tournaments don't have to be boring, get involved. Become a driver, judge, scorer, safety. Shoot, start out as a dock starter. Guess what, get an officials rating and you may never pay an entry fee again!!!!!!!! Hey, I know what, maybe check into being a Promo Team Member and get a new boat every year

• Supporting Member

@pcmcon729 That's a great story, but that tournament director must have been clueless! Even if I were punching you in the face the whole time, we'd still be one of the top driver/judge combos available!!

(That would, of course, have led to my death, as one punch of yours would equal 100 of mine. But you get my point.)