What slopes for 17/18?

DaveD

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

BTW, Western Canada like Lake Louise, Sunshine, Kicking Horse, Revelstoke, Fernie are having a record snow year! Mountain Collective pass works at Louise, Sunshine and Revelstoke! Try the Great WHITE North this year! Skiing is bigger and way cheaper with exchange rate, 30% off the whole country!

• Baller
My wife son and I headed to Park City a week from this Saturday. Looking for a tour guide for Sunday Feb 25, if any local ballers are around and would like to show us the slopes. We ski mostly Groomed blacks and blue, occasional tree and back side. Beers and diner on me.

• Baller
scotchipman, Yes. we are having another great season, I am cat skiing tomorrow and then 2 more days next week in a Cat, (like Heli skiing but use a 12 person snow cat instead). Last season, my wife and I did a road trip and hit Jackson, Sun Valley, Aspen, was surprised at how expensive skiing is in USA now! Jackson Hole was $144usd for a ticket plus they charge $20 to park your car. To Compare, Lake Louise is quite a bit bigger then Jackson Hole is about $75usd ticket ($100cdn) and free parking. Food is 1/2 price here at the lodges. Truth was Jackson Hole was a bit a disappointment to me, the steep runs were short and the rest of the mountain was not that interesting, Louise has way more terrain, way longer steep runs, and is a more interesting mountain to explore. My Favs in USA that I have skied are Snowbird / Alta, Squaw Valley and Schweitzer, along with a soft spot for Sun Valley.

• Baller

@jpattigr You just have to know the stashes and terrain in JH like me (grew up there) I agree on ticket prices tho. I hope to get out to Canada one day. Really want to check out LL and Revelstoke. Snowbird and Alta are great but by no means comparable to JH. IMO as long as we are on Mountains and skiing I am HAPPY no matter the terrain. Hitting Alyeska soon so that will be new for me and I am stoked!

• Baller_
@jpattigr : To your W. Canada discussion, many moons ago we hit a small place called Red Mountain just north of Spokane across the border, it was a very cool place and seemed to be lost in the 60's which meant it had a great atmosphere.

• Baller
Wish: If you fly into Calgary, The Rockies are an hour away, then the resorts are about 1/2 hour to an hour apart all along the trans Canada Highway. It ids just like flying to Denver and then driving to Aspen and passing all the resorts along the way. Just sub Revelstoke for Aspen! Lake Louise for Vail, Sunshine Village for Copper etc!

• Baller
@jpattigr Skied Revelstoke for years when it was just Cat Powder Skiing ran by Clyde Newsome. Awesome skiing. Fresh tracks every run. Clyde was great. Have to go back some day now that it is a ski megaplex and check it out.

• Baller
Zman, come back anytime! I have been in the Alpine ski biz for 35 years and have had the pleasure of skiing all over the place! Does not get any better then the skiing around Revelstoke, come ski Revey the mountain and do a Cat ski trip at Mustang Powder, Monashee Powder or K3. The prices and exchange rate not much more then skiing Colorado, and with Cat skiing (like Heli but in a snow cat) every run is deep and zero tracks, fresh tracks even last run of the day!

• Baller_
Anyone with insight on the conditions of ABasin, Loveland..or others not to far from Denv.? Seems I keep hearing about the lack or snow. Want to do a couple days out there in the coming weeks and flights are dropping specifically to Denv. But not wanting to find issues with conditions. Also skier on a budget so any ideas for lessoning cost from accommodations to lift ticket discounts welcome. Thanks!!

• Baller
@spartanskier10 I was there for 4 days over last weekend. After a slow start winter has hit the western ski areas. We had 3-8 inches of Utah's best every night. The cold had moved in and they had received about 3 feet during the 7 days prior to our arrival so there was no trace of an icy base. That weather pattern hasn't changed so you should have light fluffy frosting on a soft base... ego snow!

• Baller

@jpattigr , that looks a lot like the terrain where my son and I skied with Big Red Cats a couple winters ago. We hit it just right so conditions were perfect. But was thinking next time I wanted to leave time to get up further into the interior up by Revelstoke, etc. My profile pic is from that trip.

@bigskieridaho , glad your trip was successful! @Zman , that looks great! Where were you?

We got some good stuff in the last week also. After a dry winter, we received a ton of new snow in just a few days. Felt like winter really arrived!

zo635o9e6gsj.jpg

k5g010stwweb.jpg

tlypilrfcr79.jpg

• Baller

@sunvalleylaw That was Wolf Creek near Pagosa Springs, CO. We so lucked out. Way low on snow until the weekend we arrived. Those big powder shots were on Thursday after 37 inches fell in 24 hours. Might have been as deep as I have ever skied. On the good runs the pow was definitely blasting across our faces!

And, no snow since we left. Usually, my luck is not that good. :D

• Baller
Looking forward to making a few turns in the SLC area starting tomorrow. I land first thing tomorrow morning and going straight to the bird, solitude Friday, then PC on Saturday. My legs are going to be tired for that flight home Sunday, but excited to get out in the mountains.

• Baller
@Ajskier , sounds great! Skiing there, and here in SV (just was skiing with some snowbird folks here in SV yesterday) is some soft winter snow up higher in the shade, and good spring skiing elsewhere. Perhaps some new snow coming in too. A suggestion, consider trying out Snow Basin, a similar drive from SLC as compared to Park City. No base town like PC, but a great mountain with some great chutes and fun accessible with easy traverses from the top of a couple of the lifts. Just a thought.

• Baller
@sunvalleylaw, thank you for the information. I did see that they are expecting some snow while I am there, just not sure how much. I think I will be hauling the powder skis and race skis out, just in case we are riding a lot of groomers. I love Snow Basin and Powder Mountain down that way. My buddy that I am staying with lives about 10 minutes from PC and is an EMT there, so he gets some nice discounts on PC passes and with the prices of tickets these days, any where I can save a dime is helpful.

• Baller

Well that trip didn't suck, landed to about 8 inches at Snowbird on Thursday, then additional 6-8 at Solitude on Friday, and another 6-8 at Park City on Saturday. Overall skied close to 50k vertical feet in 2 1/2 days and got to enjoy some time in the mountains.

Park City

P.S. Is the link working? This is the first time that I have tried to post using a link.

• Baller
We used to do both Easter weekend trips with the kids and April vacation trips with them when they were younger. My son was a hockey player so his hockey season was usually over by then. Those were both great times as the resorts were usually empty and conditions could be quite good. April vacation was a bit of a crap shoot but we generally went to Sugarloaf and we always had a blast and there was snow to ski on.

• Baller_

sojvkydhsskj.jpeg

Whiteface Mountain in Lake Placid, NY (okay, really Wilmington NY but Lake Placid is much better known) opened last weekend. I have three days in already, but by local rule, a day is a minimum of three runs.

Hawai’i in January, Big Sky in February, Tahoe in March and Grand Canyon in April for me. I’ll probably leave the skis home for the first and last trips.

Lpskier