Boat Shows - Which ones are the best

austinminer

• Baller
So Dad and I always hit the Houston and Dallas boat shows, but of course rarely is there a slalom boat. Houston is geared towards salt water fishing and Dallas is more towards the luxury boating experience. While they are relatively large shows, considering the venue's, we are looking for the next bigger show that has a bit more variety. We have tossed around the idea of heading down to Miami, but was looking for some input from the team on BOS. Any recommendations? Any shows out there guaranteed to have some ski boats? Thanks in advance guys/gals.

• Baller_
If you have a reason to be in Michigan, the Detroit area shows tend to have slalom boats on the floor, along with the fact that the top three have strong dealers representing the brands. The skier community in SE Michigan is fortunate to have a strong dealership network. Not only that, but you can practice your snowball making or ice fishing skills!

• Baller

@austinminer i live in Toronto Canada and I go to our local event in Torornto which is amazing but i even fly down to Miami for their boat show mid Feburary each year. By far the best show out there and there is everything. I go to see things i wont see back home but Nautique, MC, Malibu, are always there.

I will say Malibu Response was the only ski boat not on the floor for Toronto Boat show for the past 2 years i believe.

One Vote for Miami here!

• Baller
Yeah a Malibu and MC is all I recall at Minneapolis and not much in the way of gear. We talked about going to pass time and maybe get some gloves, but after a 2.5 hour one way drive, parking, tickets and about 40 minutes to see what we want it isn't worth it.

• Baller

The MN boat show used to be more fun. I have lost interest in it now. Too many boats that just don't interest me anymore.

Marine Max brought a 200 their first year at the show and haven't since. Last time I was there I tried chatting up a few guys at the booth and none of them had any interest really in skiing. They were all from the CC factory to rep wake boats.

• Baller

I was at the Minneapolis show last night. Lots of pontoons and boats for surfing.

I got to spend a little time poking around the TXi and the ProStar. I was honestly surprised with the quality of the Malibu. Way cheaper feeling than pervious Malibu's I've been in.

Not bad for a free night of entertainment - but I don't think I'd pay to go.

• Baller
All the ski boats and wake boats are getting cheaper looking. Side effect of using seadek instead of carpet(not a fan) and not using things like combing pads. The squared off lawn chair cushioning also looks cheap. I would say that both the txi and prostar have less luxury feel than boats from five years ago.

• Baller
@austinminer you will have zero regrets!! I will be heading there with my father in a month and cant wait. I recommend a more than one day pass. We do the 2 day deal now and we find that to be just right. If you are going to get interactive with it and participate in some of the courses or activities you may need an extra day. See you there next year!

• Baller
I went to the Minneapolis show last weekend. Good showing for mastercraft and malibu. Staff seemed knowledgeable and boats looked great. Nautique could use some work. Marinemax might just be too big to do nautique’s Justice. I was hoping to learn more about the new 200 but failed. Actually after finding 3 reps that didn’t even know what a 200 was I decided to go talk bouys with the malibu guys. I’m not in the market for a new boat but was interested since I bought a new to me 200 last year.

• Baller
@swc5150 I agree. The ProStar I saw was one of the best MC's I've seen. Very well put together and felt as such. The TXi felt and looked like a Carbon Pro with the price tag of a ProStar/200. Probably a decent boat; but definitely not the right boat for me.

• Baller
Both CB and OB Ski Nautiques on display by the great folks at Pacific Nautiques at the Seattle Boat Show today. Only ski boats I saw, but the friendly folks the Nautique booth were willing to chat about ski boats for as long as I wanted. What a beautiful machine! Glad I went. Too bad nothing was there by any of the other brands for skiers.

• Baller_

Orlando Boat Show:

Well, it's been a looooong time since I've gone as it was shrinking and fewer to no ski boats. It's still not all that big. Surprised to see only a few jetskis and no bass boats of any kind. More surprised to see a 200 and an MC among the Wake boats well represented. No Bu ski boat. Did speak to SN dealer who had Supremes as well. Sad to hear how few 200s he gets per year and more saddened to hear the Supreme rep say the ski boat has been put on hold (replacement for Carbon Pro). He said about all they had was a cad drawing when the project was tabled. Personally in reading his body language, I don't think we will see one. He was pushing a small wake boat as just as good for slalom.

The upside was Action Water Sports. Well represented. Spoke to rep (a Central FL resident and involved with MC locally for decades) and gotta say their drive to get folks out on the water and bring all disciplines together is evident. Big supporters of 3 event and plans to have tournaments is in the works. And maybe some much needed out of the box kind as well. Seemed very interested in atypical ideas to make tounys fun, different, inclusive for all, and creative. It was suggested that the Pro Shop will be well stocked, large and a presence in the Central FL. Thank you free market competition. Kyle A school will run as normal only it will be pulled by the MC at the show pictured below. Can't tell you how impressed I was. Once they get their new state of the art service facility added on to what is already there, I'll be planning to go to the grand opening.

j48xcl0fxeg8.jpeg

ik85td040xsh.jpeg

• Baller

The Indianapolis Boat, Sport, and Travel show is one of the largest in the mid-west. It runs for 10 days. Pinecrest Marine had a PS and offered us room for posters and table for Indiana Water Ski Association materials. I couldn't believe the $100,000+ pontoons! I come from the day when you slapped 55 gallon oil drums together under a plywood deck and 10 hp motor and had a pontoon!g736461z22lm.jpg