Want to buy West Coast Slalom Advanced dvd

NorthIdahoLPO

• Administrators

@NorthIdahoLPO

Listen to this http://noiseofthenorth.com/goldenmic-ep85/

Jump to 25:00

Go ski with Marcus or Terry but forget that video

• Baller
I was thumbing through the August/September 2008 issue of Waterski Mag and there is an add for it. I looked for it online but no dice I.E. Amazon, eBay but no go. Terry will be coaching me in March and I thought it would be great to watch preemptively. I’ll reach out to those guys...

• Baller

@NorthIdahoLPO I have a copy somewhere, I can find it when I return to Greece Tuesday.

I would listen to @Horton though, i don't think it did any good to my skiing the contrary took me a couple of years to recover and improve from there after.

• Baller
I watched that video at least a couple dozen times when it came out, and trying to incorporate it jacked up skiing. Maybe I just didn't get it, but I found my stack ruined, replaced with "stripper butt"...exactly what MB instructs against in his personal youtube training vids.

• Baller
Looking back the WCS video was part of the time that the sport was evolving from heavier skis and the pull hard, crank turn way of slalom. Quiet upper body, lower body lean, counter rotation(step behind), reverse C, earlier edge change, elbows to the vest, tight line, quicker responding skis (see Syndicate shirt) and speed control. In it's day I think it was pretty good and it lead to a number of the ideas we talk about and try to feel on the water today.

• Baller

there is so much negativity directed toward that west coast slalom video that it almost seems like animosity toward toward suyderhoud himself -where as marcus brown and terry winter are practically worshiped here. but to be fair at the time the video was being made marcus and terry were also advocating those now dated concepts.

in any event there are some very valuable aspects to that video that cannot be found anywhere else. which are the split screen chapters comparing the same skier at different line lengths with a real time stopwatch running, comparing two different skiers and also the chapters showing short line skiers with real time strain gage data. i personally think this stuff was and is a valuable addition to the slalom science knowledge pool. so until someone else comes along and does a better job of producing such visually clear real time data maybe you should hold off throwing what we currently have in the trash. imo.

• Baller
@Gloersen - I agree. I don't dig the tone of the thread. How many of you have skied with and knew Mike? He was pretty far ahead of his time. His communication of concepts is difficult to follow sometimes, but a lot of what he was working on was going the right direction. I wish Terry or Marcus would chime in and set us all straight on this.

• Baller

@jimbrake ... I skied with and knew Mike quite well. His Dad was my Daugther's Godfather. Mike was always ahead of his time on developing new technique. He first showed me and others how to properly do the one handed gate in 1992. A huge improvement to my skiing, years before it became popular. He also sent me a copy of the DVD before it was released for sale. I still believe it has a lot of good points in it, such as great graphics on how to do the Reverse C edge change.

Many years before there were even DVD's, Mike did fantastic VHS Video's with skiers such as Cory Pickos on trick skiing, and Bob LaPoint on Slalom. These were really advanced for their time, and the only known instructional videos available. They were the Bible of their time.

• Elite Skier

Mike helped me a lot with my skiing and coaching. He was completely devoted to waterskiing, and never stopped thinking about how to improve technique. I never agreed 100% with everything he had to say, but I was always able to take something positive away from my sessions with him even if sometimes it was just my disagreement with him forcing me to think about how it could be done better. Mike’s view on technique was constantly evolving, so of course some of his ideas were not completely dialed. I’m sure that if you watch his video he did with Bob and compare it to the WCS there would be some major differences just as if he did another video today you would have changes from WCS. Mike was talking about moving your body and being efficient in a time when the sport was dominated by power skiers. He was coaching me to ski like Nate before Nate was ever around. You guys can rip on him if you like, but it’s just because you were’t around to know what you missed out on.

TW

• Baller
In addition to slalom, Mike was a very good jump coach. I first went to ski with him when I was 18 in 1976. After so many slalom sets my hands were falling apart so he suggested I try jump. Upside down on first attempt. Landed the second. Third he said "pull out to the right side of the wakes and when I wave, you cut to the ramp." When I came off the top upright and landed on my skis (blowing out the seat of my Hang Ten trunks), THAT was about the most excited I've ever been on water skis. The better coaching part came a few years later when I went back in '82 and he taught me how to actually cut into the base of the ramp hard on my right ski.

• Baller
I bought WCS when it first came out. I studied that video almost like a college course. I'll never forget when one of the concepts clicked for me. I forget the exact phrasing used in the video, but when I figured out how to counter rotate, hold the handle a second longer and trust that the ski would come around and finish the turn with my body in a much better position, with more angle I was amazed. It happened on vacation that summer, free skiing on Lake St. Catherine in Vermont. That was one of those ah ha moments that really changed my skiing.

• Baller
I just bought/received it from a fellow BOSer. There has been so much dialogue it can’t be ignored. @twhisper said it, there is always something positive to pull from Mike.... plus now that it’s the dead of winter I have something to get me through until March and my time at Liquid Zone.

• Baller

Skies, boats, Speed control, ropes, Handles, etc have all changed much since Mike's videos with Bob Lapoint and West Cost with Marcus and Terry.

I am just a bit younger than Mike (not much).

Those videos by Mike were about all we had at the time and I want to thank Mike for being willing to share his thoughts and ideas on slalom skiing in a video format.

oldmanskier