New CG Fin from Denali

Horton

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller_
@Stathis Ventouris I’m on a 9970cc and haven’t tried the xtr. On the 9970 w std fin, the offside preturn and turn were great, but onside it turned downcourse and not as smooth. The CG completely fixed the onside turn and maybe improved offside just a little. I only played with dft going back 0.050” then 0.030” from goode recommenced dft. I haven’t felt the need for further adjustments as the ski is working really well with these settings.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

@Bruce_Butterfield I have a 68.5 LFF flex 3 9970cc.

Absolutely love it with stock fin but I have a CG I’d like to try after my tournament in a few weeks.

Do you mind telling me your fin numbers and boots.

I tried it in my Revolution but I couldn’t get fin clamp to hold fin tight. Thoughts?

• Baller_

@mbabiash I’m on the 68.5” with:

7 deg

The Goode fin is 0.095” thick while the CG is 0.085”. I removed the set screws, put in the CG and re-taped the set screw holes. I think the tap is 1/4-24 but not positive. Without re-taping, when you tighten the clamp you are clamping the set screws instead of the fin and it can definitely move.

• Baller

Tried the cg fin in my HO Omega this morning. I was quite satisfied with the way the ski rode in all aspects with the OEM fin but was curious. Set DFT minus 0.020 for starters with same on L & D. I was quite surprised how little the ski changed compared to other skis I have tried with the fin. Preturns on both sides became a bit less sensitive to body position and the ski follows thru the turn with less tip rise. Wake crossings felt very similar. Used the standard wing @ 9 deg.

Basically it polished an already sweet riding ski.

• Baller_

@Stathis Ventouris Goode measures length differently than the rest of the world. The “factory” length of 6.780 is with calipers flat, gauge toward the front of the ski. There can be considerable variation in this measurement depending on brand of caliper used. Nearly everyone else uses the “tips” measurement.

The fin was set at “factory” when i got it. With my calipers in the goode method, L was 6.777, with tips L was 6.836, so that is the factory length measured the way most skiers measure.

So my CG setup compared to factory is:

L 0.004” shorter

D 0.004” deeper

DFT 0.032” back

I consider variations of a few thousandths insignificant. A typical adjustment for me will be 0.020 to 0.030”. 5-10 thou is fine tuning. Less than 5 has a smaller effect than my day to day, or buoy to buoy variation.

• Baller_

@Stathis Ventouris I rode many of the early Goode's for probably a dozen years, but the last one I used before trying the 9970 was the Nano One, so I don't have any info on the XT.

I still have a love/hate relationship with all the Goode's I've used. They are awesome when setup properly and I am doing everything right, but performance falls off a cliff if setup is off just a little.

• Baller
@adamcord did you by chance increase the tail tab so the dft set screw will work on certain fin blocks, ie I have to tap tap the fin into dft position as the tail tab is too deep in the block to allow use of the set screw.

• Baller

Skied an HO Omega last night with stock fin settings. Planning to drop a CG fin on it this weekend and try to dial some settings in as the owner of the ski has been struggling on it. Anyone have a good start point they're using currently?

Really felt like the fin needed to be shorter, but couldn't get below 6.800 without grinding. FWIW, The couple adjustments I did make to get past 32 off with the stock fin landed me at .700, 6.800, 2.540, 8deg. Started out at 6.870, 2.51, .810.

• Baller

HO Omega - 67 inch ski - Dbl Radar Vapors - LFF

My starting point with the CG Fin in 54 deg water - flat wing

2.475 6.928 0.775 9.5 30.000 17.500

Depth Length DFT Wing Fnt Boot Rear Boot

Current settings at 69 deg water temp - s wing (by far the best so far)

2.425 7.016 0.820 8.0 30.500 18.000

Depth Length DFT Wing Fnt Boot Rear Boot

Grinding / modifying the CG Fin was required to get these settings. Modified a set screw to be able to set DFT. 100 percent worth it.