2019 Ski Nautique

mkerzie

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

So on my way to work I drive right by a big fiberglass repair shop that is just down the street and there are always a bunch of boats out there ready to have their hull repaired. With fiberglass, the repair process seems to be fairly simple and straightforward. What about with Carbon? Would the repair process be a complete nightmare? Or is it ok to do as well?

• Baller
I am very interested to see what they do with the interior layout and if there are any new innovations . The current boat feels small inside compared to the MC + Bu . Carbon use is interesting but it's just part of the puzzle. Wondering if CC will have to certify two different boats next year?

• Baller
@escmanaze Carbon can be a bit more tricky to repair, but there are techniques available. Boeing developed a "quick composite repair" for the 787 that can patch small areas of damage in an hour. Other types of repairs are available that take further expertise and/or tools. So the aerospace industry has a LOT of experience with carbon fiber repairs at this point and the marine industry can follow their lead. One thing not to forget is that carbon is really, really tough stuff. If done correctly it can be very hard to damage / break - it is a very, very strong material.

• Baller

I've been giving this some thought. If there are two boats and one of them is a very highend boat with bleeding edge technology used in its construction this could be a boon to our industry.

Think about it, how is this any different than the car industry. They make the majority of their products for sale at market price. Then they come out with a car that is double what someone might pay for it, vis-a-vis Dodge Viper, Jeep Hellcat, Ford GT. There is a small group that pay for the products but the technology used in those products filters into the mainstream cars.

Anyone remember the Malibu special edition Corvette boat. Not sure who shelled out the cash for it but I bet Malibu learned somethings that made it into their production line.

lb8j2x1ygi9c.jpg

• Baller

The collectors will pick up the carbon version. Bet they maybe build 25 of them. The carbon version will give Nautique a chance to showcase what they are capable of and will keep pushing the rest of the manufacturers to keep pushing the envelope.

Very cool. Can't wait to see it.

• Baller
I'm not sure a carbon/light version will be a bonus. At some point there are diminishing returns on less weight. It seems that a certain amount of mass will maintain inertia and thus more steady speed when an opposing force (skier) is applied. It seems tracking and speed steadiness would be negatively affected with the carbon/lightweight 200. Ideal would be the smallest most least significant wake with the heaviest boat possible, and I think that may already exist.

• Baller
I think innovation is a great thing, even if that innovation is at a price point out of us average-joe's market. As far as price point goes, look at the Mapple Edition 200's, even with a limited number built, they were sold. Another point as well, usually "new" innovation will make it down to the average market at some point in the future...that is, if it is beneficial to the design. Either way, it will be fun to watch the developments as they come!

• Baller
Really cool styling and features. Looks like a ton of thought and design went into making the softest wake they could. I wonder if/when an open bow version will be released. I just got a new 200, 2 years ago so I won't be due for a new boat for a long time, but I would never buy a closed bow boat (I have 2 young kids).

• Members

So, all the cost of Carbon and it's still over 2900#. Either they didn't use as much Carbon as suspected in the layup, or they just couldn't help but let all kinds of other stuff bloat this thing up to a higher weight again. I'm pretty sure all those engines have aluminum blocks and heads, so that saves 120# and 50# respectively vs the old 350, but a closed cooling system adds 50# right back in. Lots of "styling" details on the deck, rear step/seat, gunwale storage, gunwale step, windshield frame, bow structure, etc. means more mass and it shows.

Honestly, I was hoping to see something closer to 2700#. It's a step in the right direction, but there's still room for improvement, especially considering the price. That said, I'd absolutely love to go ski behind one and see the wake.

• Baller
I am sure this is a great boat.Could I buy one.....sure.Would I buy one....NO!! At a $105,000 MSRP and I am sure you can good one for much less my 10 to 15 yr old boats that I buy for a lot less do the job for me.......just fine.At my age and the short season we have here in northern MN. I love the older boats for a fraction of the cost.When boats get to these prices and trucks to tow them are $55,000 MSRP I guess used stuff is just perfect.I still like the looks of the older boats.......plain and simple.

• Members

@LLUSA I typically run my SN196 with 1/4-1/2 tank when we ski. It's noticeable even on my (much lighter) boat. Fuel is 6#/gal, so I typically only have a swing of about 50# max there. On days where we have that one extra person on board, you can definitely feel it more than the fuel load in the wake at -22/-28 and that's with the person at the "good spot to add weight" up front.

As an engineer, I know of few better ways to displace less water (which is what makes a wake) than to reduce mass. Until they put a foil in the water under the hull, this will continue to be a primary factor. I could easily pull over 100# out of the powertrain without the skier noticing, but this market still seems scared of anything that isn't a naturally aspirated V8 for some reason. I consult on that kind of stuff all the time, but the marine industry is a very slow adopter of change here.

@BraceMaker with the premium they charge for the 6.2L DI engine, I could easily put together several engine options that still perform great using boost, fewer cylinders, and a lot less weight. Since the older 200's were also available with the H6, one has to assume that a lot of the price increase here is due to the (limited) use of carbon and amortizing out the engineering cost of a new vehicle.

@""Greg Banish" that's something I've always wondered about. Why are they still using the heavy V8s when there are lighter engines that make just as much power? Look at the new Raptor's engine - 450 hp twin turbo V6. And that same engine makes 600+ hp in the Ford GT. As long as the power curve is smooth (turbos can mess that up) to pull a skier, then a smaller forced-induction engine has to be the next move to lighten boats. I can only assume (not being a boat designer/engineer myself) that a linear power curve is a MUST for any tow boat powerplant.

(And I am 100% a horsepower & noise guy...)

• Baller
I’m not an engineer by any means, I understand you can’t just throw a car engine into a boat, but my 2015 Mustang has the base V6 engine in it and has 300 horsepower. The 4 cylinder with a turbo has about 310 I think. The 5.7 in our centurion has 343 horsepower, do you really need to go all the way to a V8 for 43 more horsepower? Is there no better way?

• Baller
@Live2ski - HP is not the issue, torque is the issue. You can make squirrel powered engines create a lot of HP but for a boat or a truck you need torque down low. Not that you can't do that with a smaller engine - the Ford EcoBoost engines manage to do it, at the cost of increased heat and lessened reliability.

• Members
I spoke about boosted downsized engines with one major marine engine supplier, and I know they tested one very rough iteration. The problem is, they quickly got to the limit of their traditional understanding of controls, heat transfer, calibration, etc and hit the brakes on it. If a marinizer hires me to work on one, I'm confident that anyone here on this site could ski it an like it if I never opened the cover to show you the engine. Tuning it to a flat, ramping or bowed torque curve is actually really easy for me. I teach this stuff all the time and work on it daily. All I need is time and a budget from an interested company.

• Baller_

According to what I can find: Ford Raptor turbo V6 = 449 lbs. GM LS3 = 428 lbs.

Indicated to be dry weight of engine, that would be w/o the marinizing components. The GM LS series engines are not that heavy. Reason for the GM iron block V8 hanging around so long, it was dirt cheap, super reliable and fit the use profile very well with copious low end torque available thanks to lots of cubic inches.

• Baller_
Some really nice features, one that has not been noted, center mounted fuel tank, finally someone did that, makes a significant difference on transom weight and moment of inertia. Obviously a lot of skier input to things like the motor box & driver seating for coaching, step over, communication, etc. some great ideas. BMW owners will appreciate the 'i-drive' Helm control.