What skis have provided the biggest jump in performance over the years

slow

• Baller
I’ve probably had ten different skis that I skied at least one season over the years. Most have been incrementally better. Some were worse that I was convinced would eventually get better, but looked cool so I kept riding them. The Phantom Truth checked that box. My biggest jump in performance to date was going from a 2002 Mapple to the original Sixam. I’ve had better skis since then but none that seemed radically different and were easy to ski. Thinking of trying the Denali.

• Administrators

Most important skis since 1975? Hmmmm

Taperflex Apex

Kidder Redline

EP Stiletto

Connelly HP

Goode 9100

O'Brien Sixam

HO Monza

HO A1

D3 X7

Connelly F1

Goode Nano 1

I may edit this later....

• Members
GOODE 9500. Went from several years of occasional 35 then 2@38 to consistent 35 plus more than 3@38. Then I got hurt, had 3 busy kids and the wheels fell off. 15 years down the road and typing this with jacked up ribs from being stupid, that was still the ski that gave me the “Eureka” moment.

• Administrators

@brettmainer 80s were a dark time for slalom skis... or I was jumping or both

@drago X5 yes maybe but X7 is where Nate ran all those first 41s

• Baller
@Horton. Might go Connelly Concept instead of HP. And what about HO CDX. Starting dock used be loaded with them. And agree with Drago on KD 7000 but I am pretty sure it was a bit later than the Kidder Redline. The Apex and the Redline were huge jumps for me in performance

• Baller
I think we also need to consider skis that helped skiers make the transition from PP to ZO. Perhaps the HO A1 was one of those skis. I am not sure because I was on the S2. For the recent year entries, I think the 2016 Vapor should be on the list.

• Baller_
I'll predict that fin shape will be a future game changer vs the standard fin that we have had for the better part of 4 decades. CG fin seems to be making some waves. Could be a game changer on a lot of diff manufactures skis.

• Baller

The Comp 1 was my first non-wood slalom. Got a 64” Comp 1 when I was 13.

The EP Stiletto was an 80s ski I know I got mine in the 80s. I preferred it to the HP but I think the HP was the first ski with carbon in it that I had.

• Baller

Even with my lesser knowledge, I would have put the Redline, and one of the new D3 variants on the list. I like seeing them on @Horton 's.

For me personally, the big ones were my Redline, and the D3 Nomad leading to my ARC that comes from the X7. Oh, and the first big one was the Connelly Shortline, the first real fiberglass slalom ski I ever skied. It was the first time I could feel like I could "cut". The Connelly wood hook started it all for me, but I didn't get very far on that set up.

For the 80s, I would add the HO Mach 1 in the list for both the ski and bindings.

I definitely concur with the Kidder Redline Graphite

I think I would drop O'Brien Competitor from the list. It was pretty, but did it really move ski technology forward?

I might also replace the Stiletto with the EP GX3 Turboglass. I believe it was their first full concave ski with graphite, versus a tunnel concave.

• Administrators
@RINLE okay I dropped a competitor back off my list and frankly I can't think of much that I think was great in the eighties. Skis were already composite but not yet carbon and looking back most designs were not breakthroughs. I know I'm forgetting something but I just don't know what it is

• Supporting Member

Tons of great stuff has made my skiing feel easier, better, or even more fun. But I can only point to three skis that measurably improved my scores:

original Connelly HP (the black one with a multicolored squiggly)

Goode 9100

Goode N1

And even the N1 is a little dubious to put on the list, as it didn't get me a score I had never seen before, but did cause me to run -38 more times in one season that I previously had in my entire life.

• Baller
To look at it from a different perspective, I stopped skiing around 1990 on a O'Brien TRC then started skiing again 2016. I skied an HO TX superlite, I felt like I was cheating. Granted it 26 years of technology I was catching up on, but damn, what a difference. It made me want to start skiing again.

• Baller

for me in the early 80's it had to be JOBE. They were not afraid to deviate from the norm and try new shapes.... remember the Carbon V? as well they brought out the opentoe binding with rear zipper.

after that in the 90's it was HO's slalom design hands down the best.