Bad batch of bouys...

Andre

• Baller

New set bought in may from MSN but the shipping box had a sticker fron insta slalom.

Installed may 20 in north east canada so not really florida sun. The yellows are the worst.

Fading to almost white,dry and sticky top half and pinholes soon after.

Worst set of bouys ever. Already replaced more then half.Decided to replace with 3 seasons old Polyform to finish the season.

Anyone else with this year batch from either MSN or insta slalom having issues ?ayv7m67j7ccn.jpg

28y9nubudbkl.jpg

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

Had no problems with Polyforms at all.

The ones we bought have no brandings.I even replace with a really old one from Overton's that must be 5 years old,still holdong air good.

• Baller

Our ski club has gotten a couple of bad batches of polyform bouys in the last 24 months. They said they were missing the UV protection ingredient and they provided replacements. But we continued to have issues so we've switched to a different brand and they are doing well.

Pretty much exactly the symptoms described in this thread.

• Baller

For those using Wally,Do you buy hard ones for boat path https://shop.wallyskier.com/Buoy-Heavy-Duty-Round-Buoy-787-Not-Soft-USA-WSHDround787.htm

and the softest ones for turn bouys ? https://shop.wallyskier.com/Buoy-WallySkier-Turn-Buoy-787-Softest-Buoy-USA-WSturnbuoy.htm

I'm on a small but public lake and week ends are a bit crazy. At 17.50$ a pop,could be an expensive season to maintain the course...

• Baller
Saving $5 buoy won’t pay for the first PT appointment when you wreck hitting the cheap ones. No buoy is totally safe, but having hit our Wallys and skied away I believe they are safer if they are under-inflated as designed. We swap them out every year or so, and rotate the old ones on the gates if we run low.

• Baller

@Andre @Bdecker water in our turn buoys and inflated just enough to be round. zero issues hitting them. they displace more than an anchored buoy. I ski wally buoys on a surveyed course and have hit both. no measurable difference IMO.

• Baller_
The key to turn buoys is using surgical tubing and not bungee cord. You get better placement and the stretch is great for displacement. The ball can move out of the way much easier. @thager hits at least 1/2 the balls he skis around and he has never been hurt.

• Baller
I fail to see the need for water if using Wally buoys. They require so little air to achieve correct circumference. Polyform cylindrical buoys for boat guides are the only way to go. I'm using Polyform guides that I've had for over 20 years. I might have different thoughts if using on public water.

• Baller
Wally Skier turn bouys are good but I can almost buy 3 polyform buoys from him for the price of 1 Wally bouy. I have 4 courses on our lake. We do have a few jet skis and fishermen. The last polyform bouys I bought came from Skier to Skier. I had them in 2 days with free shipping. They seem to be better then the ones I bought last year. They claim to be new and improved.

• Baller

@skierjp I was told the same thing back when I had 2 sets of the polyform round buoys fail quickly back in 2013 and 2014.

I have had OK experience with the ones from Overtons. Those KD buoys shown above look the same.

No doubt Wallys cost more, but I am now in my 4th year with them, and no issues at all. And way safer than a buoy that has to be fully inflated.

• Baller

And, no water needed in a Wally buoy, even on a floating course. I have a floating course. We just underinflate the Wallys and hang a 3 lb. weight on the end of the arms.

This keeps only half the buoy above the waterline, and the half below the waterline is mostly collapsed so they easily "give" if hit.

• Baller

Bump, since it’s been a year, unless I missed a more current thread…looking for the best turn buoy option...cost, color retention, longevity, safety

- Did Polyform, $6.55 per, fix the bad batch issue? Color retention better?

- Is there a consensus on which color is easier to see, red or orange; or maybe one color better for different light conditions; e.g., overcast vs sunny skies

- Do both colors fade equally or one faster than the other

- Do most tournaments use Polyforms for turn buoys; if so, which color

- Is the current consensus that Wally buoys, $18.50 per, are still the best color retention buoy?

- What about KD or any other buoy manufacturer; any feedback on longevity and color retention?

Thanks!

• Baller

I have used a number of different brands over the years until Brazil turned me on to Skier to Skier. I like all of their products. For about 10 years I have used S1, S1G for 55's, and their orange Polyforms for gates and turn buoys. I have no complaints. I ski on other courses that use red Wally turn buoys. In late day flat light I have a hard time seeing them. Orange is used for construction signs for a reason, it's the first color in the spectrum our eyes and brains process. Thanks Ed, we miss you.

• Baller

@Wish I have a floating course with Wally turn buoys. We very much under inflate them and have 3 lb weights attached at the end of the PVC, under each turn ball.

I think we really need another pound or so to get the water line about 5/8" above the equator per AWSA and increased safety.

@mac We are deep into our 5th year with the same Wally buoys. As @Than_Bogan and @"Pat M" said, no better buoys for safety and longevity.

• Baller

0ubr1sdrtnc0.jpg

I'll try to find the KD buoys, but if someone has a link, please post. I've kept a course up on a public (Lake Martin, AL) for over 20 years and no matter what you get, they all fade, get slicky, small holes in the tops or just leak. I bet the same factory in China makes them all. I'd also bet they cost less than $1 to make, but you've probably have to get 10K of them. I appreciate the guys who have invested in stocking and supplying them. BTW a bucket cut around the top makes a good measuring ring for smaller turn buoys and larger boat guides.

I prefer Orange over Red, red can be hard to see depending on light, angle,etc.

George A. Amonette

78 Water Oak Ln.

Jacksons Gap, Alabama

• Baller

@Wish Excerpt from the TC Handbook. The 5 to 6 lbs noted for a cross-line course should be what is needed for turn buoys on a floating course as well. Confirms that our 3 lbs is not enough, as we have seen.

wawlalyy33p7.jpg

• Baller
I’ve bought buoys for 4 courses (3 now) for the last several years but what I’ve found is that the Wally’s are, by far, the best. Like @Zman said, 5 seasons, and he and I are in south Alabama where the course stays in (and gets skied) year round.

• Baller

@georgea0731

@aupatking and I are near Mobile. He is on the Eastern Shore of Mobile Bay, I'm just north of Mobile.

He isn't responding because he is probably all dressed up in orange and blue and getting ready to scream "War Eagle" and cheer for his Auburn Tigers.

On the Polyform buoys, I have had 2 of the so called 'bad batches'. So, I'm done with them, except for gate balls, and I consider them throw-aways. Get 4 new ones every year.